what's a good rain tire?

mach8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
It's winter here in sunny CA which means a lot of rain and with my Mark VIII that means spinning tires, that traction control is such a bad joke.

Anyone found some tires with some grip in the wet?

hottweelz said:
Pirelli P600's 215/60/r16 I believe... standard on M8.... I love mine!

bf goodrich traction t/a's...i just got a set of 245/50/16....love em :Beer

I have found NONE better (unless you spend MAJOR loot) than what I have on my car now. I have Yokohama Avid V4s 245/50/16's and I purchased them from www.tirerack.com for only $97 each+shipping. Check out this post and you will see the spirited drive I had with them.......in the rain even.....you may consider them.

hottweelz said:
Pirelli P600's 215/60/r16 I believe... standard on M8.... I love mine!

First off, Pirelli was not the tire that came standard, it was the Michelin MXV4, or something similar.

Second, the factory size is 225/60/16.

Last edited:
1wykdmk8 said:
First off, Pirelli was not the tire that came standard, it was the Michelin MXV4, or something similar.

Second, the factory size is 22/60/16.

I think you meant to say 225/60/16 :N

mach8 said:
It's winter here in sunny CA which means a lot of rain and with my Mark VIII that means spinning tires, that traction control is such a bad joke.

Anyone found some tires with some grip in the wet?

Sumitomo Z Rated HTR+... I've got 4 to get you through a rainy Cali winter.
Also got some Stock LSC Wheels on them. Check this thread...

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=2948

viiiball said:
bf goodrich traction t/a's...i just got a set of 245/50/16....love em :Beer
Tell me more about those, if you don't mind. The reviews are pretty good but the type of cars that the reports are written on leave a little to be desired. There is a huge difference on the performance of a tire between the size of the tire (duh) and more importantly, the weight of the vehicle. A certain tire may perform better on a 3000lb car than a 4000lb car, if you get my drift. So I am looking for reviews from guys that are running around with luxo barges like us guys.

Appreciate any comments.

I used to run the Pirelli P400 Touring on the STS 215/65/15 and they were great. They're kind of hard to find now so I'm running Yokohama Avid Touring on the STS and the Brougham. Both seem to be a great tire in the rain.

DON'T go good year, they all suck in water.

Additional FYI: Actually I have a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw's on the front of the STS right now and I have to tell you that for a crappy tire, which they are, they're exceptional in the snow.

I have the BFG Traction T/A tires on mine and they are great in the rain. I even got to try them out in the snow this week and was impressed with them. I have them in the stock size. They work so well on dry pavement that it bogs the motor down before it will spin them.

BigT said:
I have the BFG Traction T/A tires on mine and they are great in the rain. I even got to try them out in the snow this week and was impressed with them. I have them in the stock size. They work so well on dry pavement that it bogs the motor down before it will spin them.

yeah, i am really impressed with mine...i was going to get the hankook ventus 2 which look almost identical to the yokohama tires wykd has, but they were back ordered in my size so i went with bfg....impressed!i'll get some pics posted, just real busy and car is dirty :Beer

My car came with Michelin Pilots and when they wore out I put on some BFG Touring T/A's because I wasn't to happy with the Michelin's. Haven't been that crazy about the BFG Touring either.

mach8 said:
My car came with Michelin Pilots and when they wore out I put on some BFG Touring T/A's because I wasn't to happy with the Michelin's. Haven't been that crazy about the BFG Touring either.

snow and ice last 2 days.....bfg traction t/a .....AWESOME!!!! 2 thumbs up!!!! :Beer

viiiball said:
snow and ice last 2 days.....bfg traction t/a .....AWESOME!!!! 2 thumbs up!!!! :Beer
Looks like the winner.

Love to get those wheels Jamler3 was pushing, are they still available?

Members online

No members online now.
Back