what would you do, front suspension

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 Mark VIII with 134,000 miles is getting noisy in the front end. One UBJ boot is gone, the other is split. It already has a cheap set of coil springs on it replacing the air suspension.

I have a 97 Cougar that is wrecked, and the more I look at it, the less likely I am to fix it (needs too much work for me to do). It has Tokico Blue shocks in front and lowering springs all around, UCA/LCA/end links/hubs with less than 5,000 miles on them. I also have the OEM "Sport" rate springs from it.

1) Is it worth the extra time to remove and install this stuff twice? I also have an 89 Cougar sitting that I redid the heads on and am putting back together. It has all the OEM suspension parts off the 97 Cougar and seems fine, probably won't be around long enough to wear them out.

2) The spring kit in rear seems to have some upper mount piece. What can I get away with for a perch on the bottom? I don't see anyone that makes the aluminum ones anymore, can I use something like this: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/61709

3) any ideas on how much lower the rear will be with no perches in the lower arm, or with those urethane ones, and the Tokico lowering springs? If I have three people in the back seat and drive aggressively already I have tire to wheel well contact (that was with 245/45/17 and I now have 255/45/17). I don't often have more than just myself in the car, but I can have my family of 4, or 3 and a trunk load of stuff. I do have those airlift bags in another car for overloading on trips, and they would probably help in this case as well. I also drag already going over some speed bumps, the tall aggressive ones in parks, not speed humps.

This is the wrecked 97 Cougar (it was sold back to me for 250 bucks, and they gave me 4300 bucks for it, really!):
IMAG0307.jpg

Current "wheel gap":
14420989499_9967fbedac_b.jpg

14420973578_0b2e32777c_b.jpg

14604326611_3a0b563423_b.jpg

Tokico springs and front shocks (the rear shocks are trashed, the upper mount broke on both):
Picture020.jpg

i would of course recommend new parts for the front end.
but if you're pulling quality parts off the cougar, you can install them on the Mark to get you by for now.
the work is not terrible as long as rust doesn't interfere.

yes, that style of lower isolator is fine. lots of miles on my car with that style of lower.

that kit with the lower isolators installed has a moderate amount of lowering.
this car has that same kit on it.

19426427096_12006cbbe9_b.jpg
2015-07-05 19.37.40.jpg by Chris Bratten, on Flickr

I am leaning towards pulling everything (inner tierods, outer tierods, UCA, LCA, Spindle, End Links, Shocks, Springs, Etc) from the Cougar. It is more work, and I really don't have a ton of free time, but I figure the Cougar will just sit as is until I move. The engine and transmission would go right in my 2000 Grand Marquis (which has 280k on it, 97 transmission is a step down, but with only 120k on it, enough for a Grand Marquis) if needed.

I was pretty down on the Mark VIII as it hasn't ran right in awhile, and no codes and nothing obvious wrong with it (like 400 miles after I bought it). I have data logged and watched o2 sensors and finally I was able to get the 2 weak coils to take a dump. Replaced them and all is right in the world.

I don't mind spending the money on it, but I already have for the Cougar, then it was wrecked. Rust is not an issue, even after 20+ years on my 89 Cougar I was able to pop that lower shock to control arm bolt out no problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back