What would a canvas top cost?

greg9807

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im still looking to get a good deal on an older Town Car or Grand Marquis, and i'd like to get one with a Canvas top.

But say I find a good deal on one without a top, what would it cost me to get one put on? Any ideas? Im guessing maybe $800 for a cheaper one but i could be way off.

greg9807 said:
Im still looking to get a good deal on an older Town Car or Grand Marquis, and i'd like to get one with a Canvas top.

But say I find a good deal on one without a top, what would it cost me to get one put on? Any ideas? Im guessing maybe $800 for a cheaper one but i could be way off.

I own two 80s Town Cars with the factory canvas tops, which are called carriage tops. (by factory I mean you ordered the car from Ford that way, and they're shown in the sales brochure...they were installed by ASC) I was told that replacing one completely runs about $1800...there's quite a bit more to them then a vinyl top...they have a fiberglass mold underneath them, for example, to give them shape. You'd also need a different trim piece in the interior, as the carriage top covers the opera window. The tops were only offered on the Town Car, not on the Grand Marquis.

If by older you are referring to a 90s Town Car however, those are all aftermarket; you couldn't order the cars from Ford with a canvas top. The price and quality vary greatly. The 90s Town Cars were not originally designed for a vinyl top or a canvas top (a few Jack Nicholas edition factory vinyl tops were sold around '93), unlike the 80s cars which could not be ordered without at least the standard half-vinyl top. (The 70s could, but are rarely seen without one)

RB3 said:
The tops were only offered on the Town Car, not on the Grand Marquis.

Hey!! My aunt's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis had the carriage roof!! Yes its rare option for Grand Marquis! I have seen few of them.

now hold on i got a "carriage top" on my town car and it actually looks VERY good with it.plus i belive it might be factory too

I saw a caddy the other day and somebody cut his carriage top up pretty damn good, thats what im worried about.

well...most of those came with vynal tops....a canvas top is like a "fake convirtable" looking top...some people also call them "phantom tops"

i know these ain't towncars...but it shows a good example:

vynal tops:
gallery_015.jpg

canvas "phantom" tops:
slm1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back