What were your first mods on your first car?

Katshot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a spin-off from the "Ricer" thread I guess but I figured it might warrant it's own thread. I'll leave that up to a mod to decide I guess.
Anyways, I want to know what mods you did to your FIRST car when you were a kid. As I mentioned in the "Ricer" thread, Mine were as follows:

1. Glass-pack muffler (Thrush or Cherry Bomb)
2. Aftermarket air filter (Cal-Custom "chrome" or at least flip the lid on the factory one)
3. Fancy hubcap or some used mags (Keystone Classics or Craeger SS)
4. Loud stereo and speakers (usually used or cheap new stuff)
5. Air shocks to jack-up the rear end
6. Big tires for the rear only (usually RWL tires from Pep Boys)

Damn...where do I start.....I purchased my first car when I was 14. It was a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback w/a 318 in it. Here is the list of mods I did....that I can remember:

1) 340 small block
2) Torqueflight 727 tranny
3) Bucket Seats
4) Custom exhaust true duals with Thrush glasspack mufflers
5) Dana 60 Rear
6) Mickey Thompson Sportsman 'I' tires (rear 15" wide)
7) My VERY first attempt at installing a stereo (how I got involved in car stereo) Pioneer shaft radio......and just basic speaker install
8) Custom Paint Candy Apple Red faded into Jet Black on the rear
9) Disc brake conversion front/rear (drums did not do the trick.....lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
1wykdmk8 said:
Damn...where do I start.....I purchased my first car when I was 14. It was a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback w/a 318 in it. Here is the list of mods I did....that I can remember:

1) 340 small block
2) Torqueflight 727 tranny
3) Bucket Seats
4) Custom exhaust true duals with Thrush glasspack mufflers
5) Dana 60 Rear
6) Mickey Thompson Sportsman 'I' tires (rear 15' wide)
7) My VERY first attempt at installing a stereo (how I got involved in car stereo) Pioneer shaft radio......and just basic speaker install
8) Custom Paint Candy Apple Red faded into Jet Black on the rear
9) Disc brake conversion front/rear (drums did not do the trick.....lol)

Ok, I'm guessing you had a lot of help with that. Not many 14 year olds have the cash or the mechanical knowledge to do THOSE mods.
Plus it must've been hard to drive with 15 foot wide tires! ;)

lol, my first car (16 years old) was a 1990 base model thunderbird (3.8L)

first "mods" I did was install a CD player... then went and hooked up a HOUSE subwoofer in the trunk hahaha... it was real ghetto (but I DID run an amp atleast). Then I hooked up lights inside the car that would flash depending on how the bass hit (and the harder the punch, the brighter they got). That didn't last very long though.

after that, I bought a real nice audiobahn bandpass box with 2 audiobahn 12's to replace the house speaker box :D. I was young and dumb lol

ahhhh... I miss that car, was a piece of junk... but it turned me on to MN-12's/FN-10's

Katshot said:
Ok, I'm guessing you had a lot of help with that. Not many 14 year olds have the cash or the mechanical knowledge to do THOSE mods.
Plus it must've been hard to drive with 15 foot wide tires! ;)

Opps....forgot to hold the shift key down......should have been 15"...which i am gonna fix here in a second. :N

Yes, I did have help, not only did my father do body work most of his life, but a guy right up the street from me was racing Mopars at the time, and just had a 'extra' motor laying around. Plus it took me like 3 years to complete it due to the money constraints, but it was helpful that when they 'junked' a car at where my father worked, he procured parts from them to help me with my project....so a good portion of what was done was of lil expense (except maybe materials).

1wykdmk8 said:
Opps....forgot to hold the shift key down......should have been 15"...which i am gonna fix here in a second. :N

Yes, I did have help, not only did my father do body work most of his life, but a guy right up the street from me was racing Mopars at the time, and just had a 'extra' motor laying around. Plus it took me like 3 years to complete it due to the money constraints, but it was helpful that when they 'junked' a car at where my father worked, he procured parts from them to help me with my project....so a good portion of what was done was of lil expense (except maybe materials).

That makes better sense. I wish I had been in your position when I was a kid. I'm sure I wouldn't have done a lot of the stupid stuff I did to my cars.

Katshot said:
That makes better sense. I wish I had been in your position when I was a kid. I'm sure I wouldn't have done a lot of the stupid stuff I did to my cars.

I hear ya, it was really helpful, but it put the bug in me and now I can NOT get rid of it. I HAVE to customize (no matter what level) everything I own. The sad part is that it gets worse and worse with every car I purchase...... :Bang

I need some money!!! So much to do so little money right now!

But I did add a CD player and CD changer to my Markl VII so far.

Looking to add Duels, K&N Air Filter,

Will go on from there.

MSD 8.5mm wires, copper spark plugs, 20% tint

Next few mods: jmod (and tranny upgrades), chip, wheels/tires (and lowered/module 8)

My first car was a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham. I put a Cherry Bomb, K&N Air Filter, and Pontiac rims on it after like 3 months. It was BITCHIN!!!

I wish I had seen this thread earlier! I put in in under the "rice" thread in anything goes.
I'll Summarize:
Car: 1978 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Color: Old Gold (copper) w/ Lt. Tan Vinyl 1/4 roof & T-tops.
Engine: 305c.i. V-8
Mods: (outside) Curb feelers, static strips, $59.95 Craigar spoked 14" rims," Playboy"
Rabbit head decal in middle of rear window, fog lights(K-mart brand)
(interior) Faux-Fur (white) Headliner, Faux-Fur(white) on Dash and Package
Shelf, White Faux-sheepskin seat covers and steering wheel cover. Melted plastic chandelier where dome light was,Big-Bubbled Tinted windows.
Sound System: Kraco auto-reverse cassette player, Large speakers in trunk from home stereo system (believed to be an old Capehart system from the 70's)
No Preformance mods except Champion spark plugs (if that can be considered)
Results: took a perfectly kept Cutlass, Pimped it out, and tore it up in the process,
(but the girls in Valley-Hi and Indian Creek dug the hell out of it! ;) )

Now THAT's what I was looking for! Silly stuff that kids do. So far, an aweful lot of the people here seem to be listing stuff done to their "current" car, or they were damn mature with respect to their first car. When I was a kid, many cars in the school parking lot were loaded with mods that by today's standards we would call "Ricer".

Randeaux said:
I wish I had seen this thread earlier! I put in in under the "rice" thread in anything goes.
I'll Summarize:
Car: 1978 Olds. Cutlass Supreme Color: Old Gold (copper) w/ Lt. Tan Vinyl 1/4 roof & T-tops.
Engine: 305c.i. V-8
Mods: (outside) Curb feelers, static strips, $59.95 Craigar spoked 14" rims," Playboy"
Rabbit head decal in middle of rear window, fog lights(K-mart brand)
(interior) Faux-Fur (white) Headliner, Faux-Fur(white) on Dash and Package
Shelf, White Faux-sheepskin seat covers and steering wheel cover. Melted plastic chandelier where dome light was,Big-Bubbled Tinted windows.
Sound System: Kraco auto-reverse cassette player, Large speakers in trunk from home stereo system (believed to be an old Capehart system from the 70's)
No Preformance mods except Champion spark plugs (if that can be considered)
Results: took a perfectly kept Cutlass, Pimped it out, and tore it up in the process,
(but the girls in Valley-Hi and Indian Creek dug the hell out of it! ;) )

Love it what a Pimp Ride. So did you make any extra money on the side LOL.

Purple zoot suit velvet hat with large plume? :Beer

First car was a 76 Formula. Had very little cash at 16 so the mods were cheap.

Cragar SST's in the front
Cragar Classics in the rear with some big 50's on them
Air Shocks (of course)
A nice $30 Amp / EQ hooked to the factory 8-track deck

I think that was about it.

Now my second car was a different story...

mespock said:
Love it what a Pimp Ride. So did you make any extra money on the side LOL.

Purple zoot suit velvet hat with large plume? :Beer
No,(I wish!), but I had a Burgandy and Black BK (British Knights) windsuit, matching Hi-Top BK's, and a Punch-colored Kangol for Saturday nights on Military AND a VERY pimped out Copper- colored Zoot-suit w/ Dark Tan fedora w/matching Stacies.(ADAMS)to wear when I'd Go to the Quinceneras(Debuts) all the girls had in tha' ol' hood back in tha day.Throw some Public Enemy or Texas Tornados in the Kraco, and IT WAS ONNNN!!!!!!!!!! :dancefool :dj:
(Can we say Dr.Playboy was in tha Hoooouse?!?)

Last edited by a moderator:
You lost me on that one Randy. Does anyone understand what he just said?

Katshot said:
You lost me on that one Randy. Does anyone understand what he just said?
" ... the ladies go crazy for a sharp dressed man!"
ZzTopEliminator.jpg

Ohhh... my FIRST car. I was broke when I had that car. Let me see if I can remember...

1991 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
Headunit, amp+box that my friend gave me, blue turn signal bulbs, tinted windows, 17x9" bullit rims, removed air silencer. Not much....

Randeaux said:
No,(I wish!), but I had a Burgandy and Black BK (British Knights) windsuit, matching Hi-Top BK's, and a Punch-colored Kangol for Saturday nights on Military AND a VERY pimped out Copper- colored Zoot-suit w/ Dark Tan fedora w/matching Stacies.(ADAMS)to wear when I'd Go to the Quinceneras(Debuts) all the girls had in tha' ol' hood back in tha day.Throw some Public Enemy or Texas Tornados in the Kraco, and IT WAS ONNNN!!!!!!!!!! :dancefool :dj:
(Can we say Dr.Playboy was in tha Hoooouse?!?)

The Stud!!! :tmi: :yourock: :bow:

Katshot said:
Now THAT's what I was looking for! Silly stuff that kids do. So far, an aweful lot of the people here seem to be listing stuff done to their "current" car, or they were damn mature with respect to their first car. When I was a kid, many cars in the school parking lot were loaded with mods that by today's standards we would call "Ricer".

The only reason that I was a 'mature' customizer is because my father was already in the business. He not only did collision work, but he did some custom work. He purchased a 55 Chevy pickup and he completely made the be from scratch.....so you can say he had skillz......so I had a head start on most when it came to my first car.

My second car was not as nice of a car to start with, but we kinda hooked it up. It was a 80 Regal, with a 78 front end on it, it was painted all white, with tinted windows. I had Camaro wheels on it painted blue a blue crushed velor (stock if you can believe it) interior and a stereo in it (that I installed of course). Then I lowered it by heating up the springs....talk about a rough ride....but it looked kool.

So, you can say that I had a leg up on some because my dad was in the business......sorry I was lucky in that sense.

just take ur time and have fun. my first car was a lebaron (blew up...sucked) second was an 88 sentra dropped wit rims, system, exhaust (blew up...sucked) third was a 93 sentra (nice and fast 12 second car) det motor, 75 shot, four puck clutch, so much more and so much money wasted :slam and now my 2002 ls which is currently in the f@#in' shop.

My 1st car (I WAS 14 YEARS OLD)was a 72 Chevelle conv. 350,4 sp,bench seat.It had 60,000 miles on it.
Paid $1200
First mods were a cal custom air cleaner,
3.73 rear,real dual exsaust with "turbo" mufflers.
Topped it off with a set of Cragars with L-60's in back.
Sold it for $2000 when I was 16 to buy a 70 GTO,396 Chevy motor,
super T-10,4:10 rear.
That was 25 years ago, I wish I still had those cars now.

My first car was a 1968 Firebird purchased in 1971 at 19 years old. The only thing I did to spruce it up was a set of honeycomb wheels and wider tires, It didn't handle any better, in fact the wide tires were terrible in the rain and snow.

When I bought the car my insurance was $650 a year. A lot of money in 1971. I got the bright idea that putting the car in my fiance's name I would save big time. The insurance dropped to $250. About two weeks after we switched the insurance company sent a notice making me an excluded driver on my own car. I sold the car to her for $1.00 and other valuable considerations and bought myself a junky old pickup.

I have never modified a car since then. I guess that's not totally true. When I picked up my 1988 BMW 750il in Munich I had the take off the ugly stock dish wheels and install the TRX BBS style wheels and tires from an M-6 on the car.
It didn't look like an old fart's car then. I love beating stock Corvettes with that car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back