What to do with 2001 LS?

Hal

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife's 2001 LS recently overheated with the result that a head gasket started leaking. A reputable repair shop put in a new overflow bottle and a high tech version of stop-leak but it still leaked. I added Bars Leak and that helped but I don't expect it to last. Except for the head gasket issue, the car is in great shape. It has 253K miles, has never missed an oil and filter change every 3500 miles and is clean and straight. I don't have time or place to repair it myself and the repair shop estimated $2K to $3K for repair - more than I want to pay. I advertised it for sale as is but got no offers. It looks like donation is the only avenue left but I hate to see such a nice car go to the crusher. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Hal

LS1.JPG

LS2.JPG

LS3.JPG

You could part it out?

You are certain that it is one of the head gaskets? Must have ignored the gauge, warning light, and chime for some time. Normally the failsafe cooling saves the engine long enough for you to get off the road.

You could part it out?

You are certain that it is one of the head gaskets? Must have ignored the gauge, warning light, and chime for some time. Normally the failsafe cooling saves the engine long enough for you to get off the road.

Yes, it's a head gasket. The shop diagnosed that by checking CO2 levels in the coolant. Wife says that it overheated very quickly, alarmed, went into failsafe and she pulled over as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter, it's toast.

It is in very good condition for those miles. You took very good care of it. I can only imagine how you feel.

Another suggestion that I could provide is, have you thought about how much it would cost to replace the engine with a lower mileage engine?

I know this option would probably cost the same amount you don't want to spend, how much would it cost for replacement? Probably around $2k-$3k...
lincoln ls engine | eBay

I don't know if I helped you out any. Just thinking.

Here is something to consider...for the price you have to pay to repair this car, what can you buy? My thought is it won’t be a car nicer than what you have now. Plus, the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. It might be worth it to fix it and keep driving.

Here is something to consider...for the price you have to pay to repair this car, what can you buy? My thought is. It a car nicer than what you have now. Plus, the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. It might be worth it to fix it and keep driving.

That was the conclusion I came to recently when I had my transmission rebuilt.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate your helpfulness. I'm still undecided on what to do with the car but will give all your suggestions serious considerations.
Hal

I found a 40k mileage engine several years ago with a friend. It was from a wrecked car and the engine cover was damaged but appeared fine. Unfortunately the exhaust cam shaft was cracked clean through through and some valves were damaged so we replaced the valves, gaskets and all new timing chains and tensioners were put in.

Why it matters is the engine was $400 and all parts put it at $1200 for a refreshed 40k motor that we put in ourselves.

If you don’t have the knowledge or time. $2-3k can get you a 100k motor dropped in. Not a bad investment. As others mentioned, you’re more than likely not going to get something as nice or well maintained for that amount.

Members online

Back