What to do about JBL Premium Sound System

Clean95Lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok So I have a 95 Lincoln Continental. I've been to Circuit city and Best buy and no one knows what the hell they are really talking about. I have the JBL premium sound system with the amps in the liner of the trunk. I want to install a motorized screen which is the same connections as a cd player. Best buy told me that if I just hook it up to the harness they gave me that it would play through the factory amp. Circuit City said that they would have to rewire the whole thing cause they don't make a harness that bypasses that system. So if anyone knows what the heck I need to do please let me know. Thanks.
Adrian

jbl system is very underpowered, best thing to do is rewire BUT it will work with a factory adapter (i have one with my 98 mk8 lsc) and a sony tft screen, it works with the jbl amps BUT not to the quality it should be.

Go to Autozone they sale the bypass kit for about $20.99 thats what I paid for mine a few days ago.
The kit give you three options:
1. New head unit intergrated with factory amp.
2. Factory head unit and aftermarket amp and speakers.
3. New head unit and bypass the factory amp completly.

Also beaware any radio shop you go to will tell you it can't be done you have to re-wire your system so they can get paid most shop I went to charge $20.00 per speaker, so you do the math we talking about saving $60.00.

Install kit Part number.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that thing would you? I called my autozone and the idiot didn't know what I was talking about so he said he didn't have it. So if you could send me a part number and who makes it that would be great.
Thanks.

Sorry to say I don't have that info for you, but to call them is a waste of time as you see, it's best to drive to the store and check yourself.

Scosche makes an amp bypass kit for the premiun sound system. It's what Crutchfield gave me when i ordered my head unit from them. They also sent me a 120" antenna extender (ended up needing an extra 24" so i went to Circuit City to buy an extension). If you go to scosche's website you can go through their product list and find the part you need. If you're going to use the amp bypass connector, you're gonna want to run it under the door sills.

What I did in my friend's Cougar (which has a very similar setup, uses same connections I believe) is cut all the wires running into and out of the stock amp, and guess and check. We only put in a 50x4 Aiwa CD player, so the stock wiring was more than able to handle the power.

It took me around an hour of work with a notepad to figure everything out. Also helps to have a good ear to listen for cancellation caused by the speakers being out of phase...the system can go from having some bass to no bass at all just by flipping wires around.

I changed everthing - Amp, Head unit, speakers, wiring - everything.

Members online

No members online now.
Back