What temperature is overheating?? Can we all agree?

Lincoln LS

1. BlacksonAudio

BlacksonAudio Active LVC Member

So I’ve been dealing with trying to lower my ECT to the elusive 198-205 range. Idling at 198 and going as high as 205 while driving. It seems i can’t get any lower than 205 idle after driving and upwards to 231 while driving. My main driving distance is 48 minutes city driving to work. 28 miles. From cold start to park at work i go from 195 to 225-231 depending on outside temperatures. I read in another thread the fan doesn’t kick into jet mode until 230 so am I overheating or just running hotter? What are the normal temperatures??

2. milehighmikey

milehighmikey Dedicated LVC Member

Did you ever check your radiator's condition? This completely sounds like an inefficient radiator to me. I cannot comment on what temperature overheating is, but if your temp gauge needle is not pointing at 9 o'clock, and is more like 10 or 10:30, you have a cooling issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Someone did once post on here some pretty good info on where the gauge was and what speed the fan was at various temperatures.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • BlacksonAudio

BlacksonAudio Active LVC Member

I’m at 9oclock on the dial

• 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Radiator and/or A/C condenser fins could be plugged with crap too... but the 04 shop manual states that the thermostat is fully open at 217 F.

That seems about right at idle if the cooling system is working properly... because I typically get readings of 215-220.

Fan is at low speed at that point too.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Unless seriously overheating... the gauge will stay at the 9 o'clock position.

As Joe has mentioned many times in the past... the gauge seems to be "buffered".

So your engine temp may be up to 235 before you see any movement from 9 o'clock.

• Agree Agree x 1