What symptoms would there be for bad inner tie rods?

What symptoms have you experienced that leads you to think they need to be replaced? Are you getting some front end vibration?

Tire wear, poor steering response (and even a "dead spot"), jerking and pulling one way and/or another depending on the crown of the road, etc. A real unstable and sometimes scary feeling.
Jack the car up and steer the wheel (both sides) with your hands. The steering wheel should move instantly. Look for any play in the ends as you do this.
Don't delay in fixing it. If it breaks, the affected wheel will uncontrollably fly over (beyond normal limits) and make things exciting.
Also be sure to check the ones in back too.

What symptoms have you experienced that leads you to think they need to be replaced? Are you getting some front end vibration?

Light steering on the freeway, when the weather is in the 80's it makes a lot of noise like a groaning and when on the freeway the steering is a little jerky with dead spots. I have replaced the outer tie rods almost a year ago.

If you had to do outer ends, then almost positively the inners need to be done too. I have learned and just do them all at once now. Get it fixed and re-aligned (they can also check ball joints at that time). If you still have "groaning" and its not a badly worn tire, the next thing may be the hub/bearing assembly.

If you had to do outer ends, then almost positively the inners need to be done too. I have learned and just do them all at once now. Get it fixed and re-aligned (they can also check ball joints at that time). If you still have "groaning" and its not a badly worn tire, the next thing may be the hub/bearing assembly.

I know it's not a tire because those are new. I will do the tie rods. Thanks
I did my outers and sway bar end links myself. Can I pull this off myself?

I just meant hopefully the bad rod end didn't chew up your tires as it can do a number pretty quick. Uneven wear can give you a vibration afterwards even though you fixed the root issue.
I don't see why you couldn't do it yourself, you'll just need to align it as close as you can with a tape measure and go directly to the alignment shop when your done.

Yeah they can be out of round or the wheels could even be bent.

Can I inspect the inner tie rods physically and tell if that is the issue?

Yes, as explained above but if you don't know what you're looking for just take it somewhere. Its a pretty serious safety issue.

I'm thinking my inner tie rods need replacing. I replaced the outer ends a few months ago.
I get a slight pull to the right when I'm on the highway, not always though (could be the road or alignment). Sometimes when I come to a stop the steering wheel and car turns all they way to the right. This doesn't always happen which is why I though it was the drivers side brake not working.

Does it sound like bad inner tie rods or could I have a brake sticking? I am going to check the brakes out tomorrow and see if I see anything wrong with them and look over the inner tie rods.

So bad tie rods would give a groaning noise? Ive had this issue for a while now replaced, brakes with hardware, rotors, lower ball joints, sway bar bushings and still had the noise!! I thought maybe it was the the front hubs?? Ive also experienced the jerking wheels and such as stated above, I dont think ive ever replaced the tie rods so maybe I will go that route.

Thread revival hoping for an update. Have very similar symptoms I have summarized below.

"...weather is in the 80's it makes a lot of noise like a groaning" Tie Rod/Ends, Sway/Roll Bar, Intermediate Shaft?
An awful embarrassing sound heard easily in bumper to bumper traffic, or in my most recent case, leaving the gym in a parking lot next to a wall. Observed that it's less present when the weather is colder, especially in the winter months.

Front end/steering wheel vibration at highway speeds 55mph+ Tie Rod/Ends?
Pretty straight forward, but I haven't noticed any uneven or abnormal tire wear out of this, at least not yet. Perhaps it's not bad enough."

Doesn't have the steering lock symptom at 1/4 steering wheel turn, lower ball joints seem solid, I don't have any hub noise as far as I know. The only things left to replace are the tie rods and ends, sway bar, and lower ball joints on the front end. Unfortunately, there's a considerable price difference between any of the possibilities, especially when trying to locate an intermediate shaft. What do some of the elder users think on here? Best practice of where to start, cheapest parts (sway bar believe it or not), or most probable (I'm thinking tie rods)?

Putting 'er up on stands tomorrow. Figured I could rule out the sway bar by disconnecting it from the end links, I think I've read that on here somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.
Back