What should i do?

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Tranny is broken on the Mark8. i have an 86 monte carlo that im going to sell, and i had the mark advertised for sale...I want to get a performance car, on a student's budget.

Option #1:: Sell the monte for 1500, and keep the mark, get the tranny fixed, and slowly build it up with the risk of breaking more stuff on it? (concidering that i drive it like a racecar all the time, and its stock) i already know i have about $500 more in repairs.

Option #2:: Sell both cars, and wind up with about 5500, i guess. Buy a Fox body mustang 5.0 5spd, and hook it up.

Option #3:: Sell both cars, and get a Monte carlo SS and slowly hook it up.

Option #4:: My favorite option, which was my original plan. Sell both cars, Buy a 70-79 Trans Am with a 400 pontiac block, and slowly hook it up. Looking originally i figgured on having to spend about 7-8k for getting one to be a daily driver with good condition interior pannels and stuff. (Finding one is hard, You either have the Complete project car, the barely daily driver with lots of rust, or the higher end daily driver, and then pristene one. Quite a big diffrence between what i need and what i can find.)

Open to sugestions.

You can get a pretty hot fox body stang for $5,500.You can also get a pretty nice monte for $5,500, like a 70-72.It sounds like you need something thats a little more comfortable with being beat on.I think I'd go for a Fast back Fox Body.Lots of performance parts available, looks good, and can be driven hard every day.I though the mark just got a new tranny?Theres no warranty or anything like that?

Keep the Mark and DON't go "cookie cutter" Ya know what I mean, don't do the me 2 cars, oh you have a Mustang "Me Too"

ONEBADMK8 said:
Keep the Mark and DON't go "cookie cutter" Ya know what I mean, don't do the me 2 cars, oh you have a Mustang "Me Too"

why do you think i got the mark in the first place....i absolutely dispise the mustangs just for that reason...but its all about budget now. It is for the fact that they ARE cookie cutter cars that they are appealing for me on my very limited budget. I am a full time student, and any free time i have is spent voulenteering at the firestation, so i dont realy have a job, except the odd things i can do for $... My mark just keeps having problem, after problem...without spendint another 3k on it stuff will keep breaking.

yes i did JUST get a new tranny about 1 year ago this week. 17-20k mi later (dont remember how much) it goes plop. ran outa warenty on the 12k mi in like november, and just before i did, i brought it back in to make sure that it was still in good shape, cuz i felt the 1-2 goin.... they "fixed" that...and i dont think thats all they "fixed" I dont even think they changed the tranny in the first place, the problem i was having was with the spark plugs and plug wires (this is when i was completly ignorant about vehicles) they didnt install it correctly the second time either, or so i was told...i went back to them (them is COTTMAN TRANSMISSIONS btw, never go to cottman) and they said, tough, your over warrenty. So, what am i to do?

When you brought it in and there was a problem they fixed. You should have told them you wanted an extended warranty. Becuase I am having problems at 10K. I only got 2K miles left. I want to make sure this problem will not happen again. Give me another warrnaty. . .

yeah, i dont know if they do that...especially if they ripped me off.

ha sif, just thinkin outloud here...how much power does your 5.0 have with those mods?

oh LORD NO! only did it twice, and thought about it...and said...WOAH! bad idea. I do it with my monte tho, kinda outa necessity. it stalls if it shifts too low

I'm sure there's tranny people on here that'll argue, but I've never seen a tranny shop that was honest.I get my trannys from junkyards.$50.00, and if it f***s up, I'll go get another.The way I see it, it'll take 10 junkyard trannys before I'm close to the price of getting one rippoff shop to supposedly replace mine.There was a shop in Columbus, Ohio that wanted $1,300 to rebuild my sister's 88 Honda.I put a junkyard tranny in it for $65.00, and it's run great for 2 years now.I've gotten where I don't trust anyone.If I've never done it, I'll get a book and learn.Even if it dosen't work, at least I know what was really done.

When you mentioned "Trans Am", it brought back some great memories .
I dug up a pic of my old 79.
It was destroyed in a fire years ago but I sure had fun in it when I owned it.
It was a twin to the "Bandit" except for the rear window.
Mine was heavly tinted with louvers.
It had a 400 and was very quick.

503136_100_full.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back