What mods can be done to an '04 LS8. What S type R parts cross over also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsouth

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just got a heck of a gift from my brother. I gave me a 2004 LS V8 Sport. I need to know what performance mods have been done with links if possible and what crosses over from an S type R. The dealer says the chassis is identical so I am assuming brakes for sure could swap.

Tein makes custom shocks/struts I know and Eibach makes springs.
Stop-Tech makes ss brake lines.
Drilled and slotted rotors are out there.
Accel makes coils.

There has to be more out there. Nitrous kit? Turbo or supercharger kit?

Looking to get under 5 sec 0-60.

Hate to be a debby downer here but if you really want to achieve any great amount of performance you only have one option. Get rid of it and buy another car. There are only a couple performance mods that are not fully custom ($$$) for the LS

Don't mind spending money. This car suit my purposes just need more power. I saw 2 people have added nitrous. I know Borla, Magnaflow and a few others make exhaust. I will pick up a set of heads and have them reworked. I listed the other stuff available that I have seen. Looking to keeps the mods around 10k or less. The Tein setup is around 2500. The brakes should be about $1000 (Brembos w drilled and slotted and stainless lines). So that leaves $6500 for engine performance.

AJ30/AJ35[edit]
The 3.9L (3934 cc) AJ30/AJ35 variant is a unique displacement used only by Ford and Lincoln and is built in Ford's Lima, OH engine plant. Bore is 86 mm (3.4 in) and stroke is 85 mm (3.3 in). The AJ35 version introduced for the 2003 model year added variable valve timing of the intake camshafts and electronic throttle control. While the block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods are all unique to this displacement, many other parts are shared with the AJ-V8 engines produced in the UK by Jaguar.

Vehicles using this engine:

2000-2002 Lincoln LS, 252 hp (188 kW) 267 lb·ft (362 N·m)
2002 Ford Thunderbird, 252 hp (188 kW) 267 lb·ft (362 N·m)
2003-2006 Lincoln LS, 280 hp (209 kW) 286 lb·ft (388 N·m)
2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird, 280 hp (209 kW) 286 lb·ft (388 N·m)
Ford Forty-Nine concept
The last AJ35 was produced in March 2006 after only 3 years. Total run of AJ30/35 was nearly 250,000 units

In reading this the whole top end interchanges. Only the bottom end was different from a Jag?

...In reading this the whole top end interchanges. Only the bottom end was different from a Jag?

Nope. The top's different too. For example, the gen II LS has variable intake valve timing. The gen II Jag engine has stepped valve timing on the intake and the exhaust. Also, I don't think that all of the cooling passages line up between the jag heads/blocks, and the Lincoln heads/blocks.

Don't mind spending money. This car suit my purposes just need more power. I saw 2 people have added nitrous. I know Borla, Magnaflow and a few others make exhaust. I will pick up a set of heads and have them reworked. I listed the other stuff available that I have seen. Looking to keeps the mods around 10k or less. The Tein setup is around 2500. The brakes should be about $1000 (Brembos w drilled and slotted and stainless lines). So that leaves $6500 for engine performance.

Not sure where you expect to get Brembo's for a grand. Alax7 has spent over a year trying to fab a bracket to get Brembo's to work. He also has a turbo setup on his car and after a couple of months blew his internals (bent rod) on low boost.

You are right along the lines of doing the 14" single pot STR swap, but that isn't much of a performance upgrade over stock. It's mainly for looks for those of us with bigger wheels.

If you want to change suspension, there are StanceUSA adjustable coilovers available and will run you around $1200

For the record, if your brakes can lock up your wheels, bigger brakes won't help you stop. Bigger brakes take longer to heat up (more mass) and dissiapate heat better (better surface area to mass ratio). That only makes a difference on the track when youre repeqtedly getting your brakes up to very high heat levels and brake fade is a threat.

Drilled/slotted brakes tend to be noisy and can back more easily where the hole cuts through the grain of the casting. Slotting is obsolete as brake pads no longer produce as much gas as they did in the 50s.

But if you just want the look to look sporty or fill in larger rims, go right ahead.

Then again, I've never hit the brakes and got the car to skid. I have not needed to stop any faster than what the car did. Maybe it won't skid yet, maybe I didn't press the wpdal hard enough, or maybe the abs on the Taurus is just barbarically more noticeable.

For the record, if your brakes can lock up your wheels, bigger brakes won't help you stop. Bigger brakes take longer to heat up (more mass) and dissiapate heat better (better surface area to mass ratio). That only makes a difference on the track when youre repeqtedly getting your brakes up to very high heat levels and brake fade is a threat.

Drilled/slotted brakes tend to be noisy and can back more easily where the hole cuts through the grain of the casting. Slotting is obsolete as brake pads no longer produce as much gas as they did in the 50s.

But if you just want the look to look sporty or fill in larger rims, go right ahead.

Then again, I've never hit the brakes and got the car to skid. I have not needed to stop any faster than what the car did. Maybe it won't skid yet, maybe I didn't press the wpdal hard enough, or maybe the abs on the Taurus is just barbarically more noticeable.

I am trying to reduce fade. I do a lot of high performance driving and need the highest possible braking while keeping a relative, non attention grabbing, stock appearance.

I am also switching to Hawk pads.

Brembos go for about $500 everywhere I look and that is delivered.

Don't know where you are looking.

My brakes now will not lock up.

Like I said, Tein makes a programmable suspension for $2500 I can change on the fly.

Not sure what kind of Brembo's you are looking at for $500. A BBK isn't cheap, nor does Brembo make a direct bolt on kit for the LS.

To my knowledge Tein does not also make any applications for the LS. Some guy fabbed some Gen1 Supra coilovers to fit the LS which were Tein. But by your explanation it sounds like you want electronic adjustable/adaptive dampening like in contemporary higher end performance cars. I doubt anything is made like that which fits right on the LS without any modification.

It has been said around here many times if you look. The LS lasted 7 model years. Was poorly received, and was fairly low production. No real aftermarket for any DEW98 vehicle exists. But with enough money anything is possible

.............or maybe the abs on the Taurus is just barbarically more noticeable.

Dude..... You have to stop comparing the LS to a Taurus!!!! That's like comparing a P51 to a P47, or a C150 to a C340; yea, they're all airplanes but with very little in common.

Some ding-dong pulled out in front me a few days ago and I had to try and push the pedal through the floor to keep from hitting him. The ABS kicked in pretty hard and I could easily feel the brakes modulating. Thanks to the LSes excellent brakes I didn't hit the oblivious knucklehead!! He had either a cup of something or a phone in his hand! I was watching him the whole time and he glanced my direction once, waited a couple of seconds and then pulled out without a second look. I could make an "illegal" comment but won't as I don't know for sure.

Brembos go for about $500 everywhere I look.....

My brakes now will not lock up.

Maybe just the rotors.... Stoptech's system is ~$2500.

Your brakes aren't supposed to lock-up. What do you think ABS stands for??????

The Brembo STR brakes do not fit. You need the later model STR brakes if you want to do a direct swap

Your brakes aren't supposed to lock-up. What do you think ABS stands for??????[/QUOTE]

All ABS systems can and do lock up if you push them beyond their limits has been my experience. 2 Town Cars (last gen) and a Buick Roadmaster w ABS all locked up. Like I said I do performance driving.

Before you ask why not another car than an LS. The Cadillac Northstar has severe issues and is front wheel drive. The cars I drive must be AMERICAN in mark, 4 door, V8. This is specified by those I drive for. I need to be able to get this thing to out perform a Charger. The only other option was a Chrysler 300 SRT8 and those are still too expensive to buy and then modify. My other car is a highly modified 1988 Fiero GT with Supercharged 3800, 13 in Viper brakes, SS lines and Konis running 18" w Pirelli PZero Neros.

The Towncars are just too slow and with nitrous do not seem to last. Guests like the comfort but they do not like them in panic situations. This car seems like a great starting point. Just time to spend some cash.

Also the cars I drive must retain a stock appearance. No wheels, dark tints, tinted lights, etc. are permitted. Nothing that can attract attention visually. Oh and color cannot be black.

This month I am having the Lincoln garage overhaul the coolant system.

If you didn't absolutey positively require four doors, I would suggest to you a '96+ Mark VIII, if only simply for ease of modification. The work would be easier to perform, cheaper, and the aftermarket base is much larger considering its similarity to the '96-'98 Cobra. Supercharger, cams, headers, all this fun stuff already exists. The LS is a phenomenal automobile, don't get me wrong. It is an engineering prize in its own right, but it was built for a purpose, which you are expecting it to perform far outside of. If that's your thing, then by all means, but just know that when you get all said and done, you will virtually have no factory LS parts left on/in the car. It's all got to go.

If you didn't absolutey positively require four doors, I would suggest to you a '96+ Mark VIII, if only simply for ease of modification. The work would be easier to perform, cheaper, and the aftermarket base is much larger considering its similarity to the '96-'98 Cobra. Supercharger, cams, headers, all this fun stuff already exists. The LS is a phenomenal automobile, don't get me wrong. It is an engineering prize in its own right, but it was built for a purpose, which you are expecting it to perform far outside of. If that's your thing, then by all means, but just know that when you get all said and done, you will virtually have no factory LS parts left on/in the car. It's all got to go.

4 Doors are a must. The specs I gave are not flexible. I would prefer a BMW 740 but that is forbidden as well. American, 4 door, V8 in a luxury type. The only other car I can think of that could work is a Pontiac G8 GT but I do not think the clients would view it as acceptable.

Maybe just the rotors.... Stoptech's system is ~$2500.

Your brakes aren't supposed to lock-up. What do you think ABS stands for??????

All ABS systems can and do lock up if you push them beyond their limits has been my experience. 2 Town Cars (last gen) and a Buick Roadmaster w ABS all locked up. Like I said I do performance driving.

This is correct. Back in 1997 I was buying a Pontiac minivan to haul the kids around in (I know, not cool and it was FWD but it did the job I needed at the time) and the sales lady wanted me to try out a WS6 Firebird. She was gushing about the car, and while running about 95 towards our exit she said to get on the brakes, they were ABS and would never lock up. So there we were about 2 seconds later, running up the exit with all 4 brakes locked up hard with the rear end trying to slide around. I think she just about wet herself, and not in the good way (although if I weren't married...) because I think she was firmly convinced that ABS meant never lock. I think I flatspotted the tires on that, because it rode a little rougher the rest of the trip to the dealer. :D But hey, she said try them out...

Before you ask why not another car than an LS. The Cadillac Northstar has severe issues and is front wheel drive. The cars I drive must be AMERICAN in mark, 4 door, V8. This is specified by those I drive for. I need to be able to get this thing to out perform a Charger.

I do hate to tell you this, but if you mean to beat a Charger with the LS... not gonna happen. I just went to Denver last week with a base rental 2013 Charger V6, and that car was just as fast as the LS and would out-handle at least my LS. My LS never has been a great handler, but after new tires and replacing some parts I'm going to reevaluate the handling.

If you need to be able to beat a Charger, you are going to be in for some major money. If you can find someone who can do a full tune on the LS and not just a Hypertech handheld-type tune (a fellow named Torrie, often referenced on this board, is who you would need to contact) and you don't mind spending some money I'd suggest just ditching the LS engine altogether and putting in something with some power. Unfortunately the LS's computer so interconnected to the entire car, including the HVAC system, that people don't get everything to work when they swap engines. If I were going to install a different style of engine, I would modify the new engine to accept the factory LS sensors in a way that the old sensors would just screw into the new engine. Then, I would get the computer tuned to accept the new engine. If Torrie can tune the engine like I can tune my Chevys with EFI Live, then it should be do-able. The only non-stock part you would need would be a mass airflow sensor as you'd need a larger inlet for a larger engine, but the programmer should be able to reprogram the computer to recognize the different airflow characteristics of the larger MAF. Of course, this will take plenty money to do. Probably the easiest conversion would be to just install a larger supercharged Jaguar AJ engine, I don't know for certain but since they are the same architecture I would think they would use the same sensors. And don't forget the rest of the driveline as well.

Really, you'd be better off picking up a different car for this project and maybe use the LS for a weekender. If you proceed with it and get some juice out of the LS though, post up because we'll all be very interested in what you come up with.

Go get a 4.2L Super-Charged engine from an S-Type R and fit that into the LS. You'll probably end up swapping a good chunk of the top-end components from the LS onto the jag but there is your performance upgrade and in an OEM'ish form so it should last a bit. Alternatively you can just swap the super charger and intake from the Jaguar onto the LS 3.9L and deal with it that way. Need a capable engine tuner regardless. This has been covered in various bits and pieces on this board. Not sure if there's been a thread where the whole swap was done.

After that do an 8.8" swap with a torsen diff out back so you can put the power down when you want to. The stock 3.9L is already pushing the rear pretty hard for an open diff. Been done a couple times, only hard part is getting a custom 2-piece drive-shaft made.

Then install whatever brake and shock set-up you like. Outside of stock there is the Stance adjustable shocks and some stuff made for Jag's. The only brake set-ups that you can bolt on are the S-Type "Sport" upgrade which takes the fronts from 300mm to 320mm and the later model XF upgrade with the single pot caliper.

There's also a thread I did a while back about fitting the S-Type R brembo brakes onto an LS and it would require a lot of work without making custom brackets. That's buried somewhere on here as well. If you did all the work that I "think" you would have to do you would end up with a different suspension set-up in the front which is supposed to handle better then the stock LS. The big differences are a one-piece k-member up front and two-piece lower control arms in front. The rears are mostly a knuckle change and figuring out the e-brake setup.

While we're here you might as well change to Accel coils while you are at it. Nothing will ruin a getaway like the car tossing a coil and feeling like you a missing half the engine.

Before you ask why not another car than an LS. The Cadillac Northstar has severe issues and is front wheel drive. The cars I drive must be AMERICAN in mark, 4 door, V8. This is specified by those I drive for. I need to be able to get this thing to out perform a Charger. The only other option was a Chrysler 300 SRT8 and those are still too expensive to buy and then modify. My other car is a highly modified 1988 Fiero GT with Supercharged 3800, 13 in Viper brakes, SS lines and Konis running 18" w Pirelli PZero Neros.

The Towncars are just too slow and with nitrous do not seem to last. Guests like the comfort but they do not like them in panic situations. This car seems like a great starting point. Just time to spend some cash.

Also the cars I drive must retain a stock appearance. No wheels, dark tints, tinted lights, etc. are permitted. Nothing that can attract attention visually. Oh and color cannot be black.

You said in the OP someone GAVE you this car and now you also own a Fiero. This guy might be a troll

4 Doors are a must. The specs I gave are not flexible. I would prefer a BMW 740 but that is forbidden as well. American, 4 door, V8 in a luxury type. The only other car I can think of that could work is a Pontiac G8 GT but I do not think the clients would view it as acceptable.

What are you? An uber driver? Drug dealer?

While we're here you might as well change to Accel coils while you are at it. Nothing will ruin a getaway like the car tossing a coil and feeling like you a missing half the engine.

The Accel's were always in the plan. ;)

What are you? An uber driver? Drug dealer?

I am a professional private driver. My clients have specific requirements that I have to meet. I hate 4 door American cars. My favorite car was my 350z track. I had to get rid of it because it was foreign. My clients are specific. No foreign 2 door cars are permitted even in my private life. Some are veterans and it offends them.

As for drugs, I never let any near myself or my cars nor do I associate with anyone that uses anything. I cannot afford the trouble and my clients would not tolerate it. I have never even tried an illegal substance. I am greatly offended by your remark and ask you remove it.

I do not drive for a service like Uber, Red Hat, Go or any other lower service. I am a private driver.

By the definition of Troll according to wikipedia you sir or madam are the troll.

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a Wikipedia essay on the topic, see meta:What is a troll?
"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
Page semi-protected
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]

No further responses from you will be responded to and I am requesting a removal of you accusatory post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back