What Laptop Computer Should I buy?

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What Laptop Computer Should I buy?

Anyone have opinons?

Money isnt my first concern. ( I dont want to get out of hand either)

I want something that I can take with me when I travel and use mostly for internet access. I also thought it would be cool to do live video from meets so I would need something that could handle such a thing over a cellular connection.

I am also an HP fan - if that helps.

If money isn't too big of a concern, check out the Gateway M275.

http://products.gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhmseries.asp?seg=hm&gcseries=gtwym275&clv=Img

These are great because they wear so many hats. They are not super heavy, but they still give you lots of keyboard and display space. The super light laptops have cramped keyboards and small screens. The larger laptops have room, but weigh a ton.

They also function as a tablet PC. You can swivel the screen around and use it as a tablet. You can also leave the screen in regular position and use it like any other laptop you are used to. You might think you don't need a tablet, but let me tell you it is cool. If you don't need it, hey, just leave the screen swiveled to the old style laptop. The swivel is also heavy duty so no worries about frayed connections. I've bought over 30 of them at work and they are very popular with our faculty members who take them on the road. They like how they can use the tablet side for note-taking but still have a regular keyboard when needed. Sorry to sound like a salesman, but I love this laptop.

i like the sony vio a lil expensive but my roomate had it n i just loved it i stole it n used it alot we had a wireless connection thru the apt n it would run great dont kno if that will help u but if it were me its what id get

64 BIT Acer Ferrari

Joeychgo said:
Not to worry.
One of the fastest and definately the best looking one. I have one of the earlier 32 bit, but am trading up to the 64 bit in the near future
:Beer

Those Acers look nice no doubt. I question their technical support though. If I'm going to buy a store bought machine and not build it myself, I want to at least get some decent support. I haven't had any experience with Acer's support. Have you, and are they any good?

Here is what I went with:

HP Pavilion zv5410us Notebook PC

zv5000_c_400.jpg

AMD® Athlon™ 64 processor 3000+ with PowerNow!™ (1.8GHz)

512MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB) at 333MHz; maximum memory 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB, 1 x 1024MB)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 4 440 Go with 64MB DDR (dedicated)

Hard Drive: 60GB (4200 rpm) [gigabyte is defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes, accessible capacity may vary]

24x DVD/CD-RW combo drive

15.4" WXGA High-Definition (j) (BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display

Wireless Connectivity: 54g™ 802.11b/g g (K) (WLAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster support

5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro or SmartMedia cards

16-bit Sound Blaster® Pro-compatible audio, Internal Harman Kardon® speakers, AC audio link; volume control button and mute button

Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (l) (RJ-45 connector)

I love my Toshiba. I've had Dell and the Sony, while they were nice Toshiba is the one to get.

Members online

Back