What kind of aftermarket parts are available for 4.6L Continental?

92SedandeVille-TownCar94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
One of the cars I'm looking at purchasing next is a 1995-97 Continental. From the factory, they're pretty quick..1/4 mile in the high 15's, 0-100 around 20 seconds, but I was wondering, since it's got the Cobra 32 Valve V8, will the aftermarket parts from the Cobras and VIII's work on the FWD Continental? Whats the fastest somebody's built up a FWD 4.6L Continental to go?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Well I have found out that pretty much all you can do is a superchip and an airbox mod. Ford detuned the motor for the contis due to it is such a heavy car and it has the same tranny from a taurus (just beefed up a little) I am thinking about getting a shift improver kit for mine along with a superchip. That should enhance the performance somewhat.

But if I had to do it all over again and I had the extra money to spend on making something fast, and I wanted a luxuary car, I would go with the Mark VII due to its rear wheel drive capability and you can beef up the rear end and tranny more.

Problem with increasing the power of the Continental is its front wheel drive mounted to the AX4N Taurus tranny.

The 4.6L as it is out of the factory can rip through one of the transmissions fairly easily, which is why you see a lot of rebuilds and for short mileage durations on fluid changes.

Adding more HP and/or Torque is just adding to the problem, unfortunately, without really increasing the strength of the transmission, there really isn't a lot of point.

Also, the front wheel drive 4.6L is a very tight fit in the engine compartment, really doesn't leave a lot of room for any big mods.

Not much for the Conti. It's probably one of the least modifiable cars ever built. The only mods are aesthetics- wheels, brakes, paint, tint, the works.

Hmmmm...interesting.

Looks like it shares some of the Seville's problems. Not much room under the hood, can't modify b/c of FWD, etc etc.

I always had in mind, what about a beefier FWD Tranny thats made to take the abuse. Only thing I see is making in mate with the engine, mounts and computer compatbility.

This would of been an awsome and much more popular car if it were RWD. This would of been more popular than a marauder, Town Car, or maybe the Mark if that were the case.
I tell yah, i would modify it to the max yet keep the car looking stock if it were RWD. Nothing beats dreaming what it would of been.

Though, if Ford Racing enthusiests can put a 5.0 DOHC cammer in a Ford focus ( Saw this in a 5.0 Mustang Mag a while back ) and also convert the rear to rear wheel drive, why hasn't anyone tried it on a continental yet. Continental has the engine, the space in the rear for a RWD Mod, why not?

FWD, Taurus AX4N tranny, tight space in the engine compartment, Bad reputation of reliability from the 88 to 94 Continentals & terrible air ride reliability in the 95 & 96, those are the things that prevented the Continentals success. RWD it would of been still in production. I love 2001 becuase I''m familiar with the car and I'm not too afraid of problems with it. I find them all great cars from 97 and up. This car is just looked away by so many people.

Though, if Ford Racing enthusiests can put a 5.0 DOHC cammer in a Ford focus ( Saw this in a 5.0 Mustang Mag a while back ) and also convert the rear to rear wheel drive, why hasn't anyone tried it on a continental yet. Continental has the engine, the space in the rear for a RWD Mod, why not?

You're right- it is physically possible. Financially possible... now that's a whole notha' thread :D

It might be worth it if you want to drive a one of a kind car, f the Ford Racing enthusiests found doing these mods worth it on a Ford Focus, and a Ford Five Hundred, it might be sweet to see someone get a Continental Hooked. Heck, if it were to happen and theres success , and big audiences see the car, the Conti will appeal more and get more noticed.

Many people out there still think the Conti is a slow 6 Cyl, unreliable, Grampys car. Look at the Caddy Seville, It's always been a V8 and thats something everyone knows and likes, yet the Seville is more unreliable yet it still appealed more because it was always known as a performance sedan. This is something the Conti really smoothed out in 95 and really drew the line in 97.

pokeeto2 said:
It might be worth it if you want to drive a one of a kind car, f the Ford Racing enthusiests found doing these mods worth it on a Ford Focus, and a Ford Five Hundred, it might be sweet to see someone get a Continental Hooked. Heck, if it were to happen and theres success , and big audiences see the car, the Conti will appeal more and get more noticed.

Many people out there still think the Conti is a slow 6 Cyl, unreliable, Grampys car. Look at the Caddy Seville, It's always been a V8 and thats something everyone knows and likes, yet the Seville is more unreliable yet it still appealed more because it was always known as a performance sedan. This is something the Conti really smoothed out in 95 and really drew the line in 97.

I'm 20 and Drive a Silver 97, I live in SC and see the 95+ Contis more and more on the road primarily as cruising cars such as mine (Tints, System, Rims, ect..) I love the car and lots of kids wonder why I drive it but once they get in it they understand. I love the car and would also like ideas as to make it faster ;)

Same Here.
I'm 19 & I love it too. In terms of HP I don't want to go too much over since I have a 2001 and 275hp is enough for me, maybe a K&N filter, but deffinitly I want to but some Mufflers that give some more Growl to the Car, not too loud ( I mean Marauder Loud ). I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible, I would take the Exhaust tips from the Factory Mufflers and put them on the New ones. In terms of Rims, I Like my Stock Rims. For some reason aftermarket rims don't appeal to this car for me.

I would put a Xenon HID kit to the Lights. I'm not a fan too much for tinted because it makes me feel like I'm in a punks cheap riged Honda Civic.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

These rims look great and Shine like Chrome if I polish them, I can NOT imagine putting 17's or 19's and some spinners too, that would ruin it. Plus, with the Factory Rims, you would continue having the Supurb Smooth ride of a Lincoln and Kepp it's Luxury Appeal.

Rims look good on the car aslong as you pick the right ones for the job ;) Chrome is your cars friend aslong as it's used in taste. Tints also add to the cars aswell as give you the privacy you crave and it protects your leather. Their are lots of things you can do with this car but whether it turns out cheesy or classy is all up to what you do and your taste. Their is no comparison between a Conti and a tinted rice beater thats like comparing a Mob Car with the Pizza Guy:rolleyes: hit it up if you need suggestions, ideas, ect.. ect..

Peace

Members online

No members online now.
Back