What just happened???

03lincolnls

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright gentlemen please help. I was driving into work last night and when i tried to go over 45mph car stopped accelerating. When i push the gas, rpm would go up but vehicle wouldnt accelerate. I drive an 2003 Lincoln LS V6 3.0. I am getting 7 different codes:

P0316= MISFIRE DETECTED ON STARTUP (WITHIN 1ST 1000 RPM)
P2107= THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MODULE PROCESSOR
P2110= THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM FORCED LIMITED RPM
P0303= CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE DETECTED
P0420= CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANKK 1
P2104= THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM FORCED IDLE
P2111= THROTTL ACTUATOR CONTROL SYSTEM STUCK OPEN

I see i need or think i need to change #3 coil and plug. Would anybody have a drawing on step by step for that with illustrations. That is gonna be a nightmare bank 1 is under everything. Any help yall can offer would greatly be appreciated.

...I see i need or think i need to change #3 coil and plug. Would anybody have a drawing on step by step for that with illustrations. That is gonna be a nightmare bank 1 is under everything. Any help yall can offer would greatly be appreciated.

No, you need to replace all six coils and all six spark plugs. EMI from a marginal coil can cause false error codes, like those about the ETC. #3 may be the worst coil, but it is very very likely not the only one.

As long as you are in there, you'll want to inspect or replace the PCV valve and PCV plumbing as well.

Read the stickies and do a little searching and you'll find most or all of the answers that you need.

Thanks joegr that bank 1 is gonna be a headache. Not to mention thats a lot of cash on all 6 coils i replaced all them once about 4 years ago. Im thinking i might also need a crank position sensor and something to do with throttle. since i got so many codes what do you think?

Thanks joegr that bank 1 is gonna be a headache. Not to mention thats a lot of cash on all 6 coils i replaced all them once about 4 years ago. Im thinking i might also need a crank position sensor and something to do with throttle. since i got so many codes what do you think?

Start with the coils. Sometimes the coils can cause all sorts of different things to show up on the codes

The throttle codes are almost certainly due to the EMI from a bad coil Change the coils and plugs and see if that problem doesn't go away.

You posted no codes at all to indicate any crank position sensor problem.

You do have codes that indicate you may have catalytic converter problems, due to misfires going on for too long. Still, I'd wait to see if those come back after you replace the coils and plugs. Even if they do, I'd replace the O2 sensors and monitors before the cats.

The coils are cheap, all six for $145.
http://www.amazon.com/Visteon-VIS60...d=1345761728&sr=8-7&keywords=lincoln+ls+coils

Thanks again stopsign and joeg. DAMMMIT lol i guess theres no really way around it huh lol. Does anybody have an illustration to replace coils on bank 1 on how to remove all the manifold and all?

"Even if they do, I'd replace the O2 sensors and monitors before the cats."
I got the sensors part but what are the monitors? Couldnt the P0316 be a crank position sensor code?

Thanks again stopsign and joeg. DAMMMIT lol i guess theres no really way around it huh lol. Does anybody have an illustration to replace coils on bank 1 on how to remove all the manifold and all?

Well, if you search this site, there are some posts on it, complete with pictures.
If you're not going to search, then go here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=572085
and PM shorod to send you the write up on removing the gen I V6 manifold. Gen II should be similar.

Didn't alot of the 03's have problems with the drive-by-wire throttle bodies?

Those specific codes look like alot more than just EMI related. Too much of a coincidence.

Didn't alot of the 03's have problems with the drive-by-wire throttle bodies?

Those specific codes look like alot more than just EMI related. Too much of a coincidence.

I'd say some, not a lot. However, those are exactly the codes that you get with EMI related problems. Two of the codes are the problem codes, and the other two just tell you what the PCM did about it. The whole point of the bad coil emi problem is that you get specific, incorrect, codes for the ETC. If you got codes that indicated EMI instead, that would make it way too easy.

Awesome guys lots of knowledge thanks soo much just finished up with the military and its hard out here. Man is everything soo expensive. Hey joe you said 2 are problem codes and the other 2 just said what it did can you explain that a little more just for my curiosity. which ones were the problem and which ones were what it did? Thanks brutha. O and emi what is that?

The processor fault caused by the EMI (electromagnetic interference) caused the drive by wire system to temporarily fail, leading to the throttle stuck open code. This caused the forced idle and forced limited rpm to fix the stuck open throttle problem.

Awesome guys lots of knowledge thanks soo much just finished up with the military and its hard out here. Man is everything soo expensive. Hey joe you said 2 are problem codes and the other 2 just said what it did can you explain that a little more just for my curiosity. which ones were the problem and which ones were what it did? Thanks brutha. O and emi what is that?

joegr is right. EMI = electromagnetic interference. when the coils get out of spec they pop off the wrong radio frequencies and it interferes with the throttle body and the related modules that control it, which typically leaves it stuck closed or stuck open and sends you into some type of limp mode. the only thing semi-unique about your situation is that the catalytic converter code tripped too. fix the coils before you do anything else. not sure if your coils are within a warranty or covered by an extended warranty from Ford (i have an 05, mine arent but there are other years that are). you also want to check the wells the coils sit in to make sure there isnt any oil/water/corrosion in there; especially if your coils didnt last any longer than 60k mi. supposedly oil leaks in from one of the gaskets and water can get in from an inproperly sealed engine bay. i didnt have those problems and have never seen those problems though so i cant confirm that.

might as well change your spark plugs while its torn up, although its not uncommon for the ignition module to crap out before the coil/boot/plug go bad. i used the bwd/intermotor coils from advance auto. buy them individually online and use code a123 to save the most. they come with a lifetime warranty. everyone else recommends the visteon ones someone linked above, but ive never seen anything about a warranty there. pm coming with your teardown procedure

"Even if they do, I'd replace the O2 sensors and monitors before the cats."
I got the sensors part but what are the monitors? Couldnt the P0316 be a crank position sensor code?

P0316 just means that you now have a badly failed coil.

You have four O2 sensors. Two that are used to control the engine mixture, and two that just monitor that the catalytic converters are working correctly.
That where the P0420 is coming from. However, it may clear up after fixing the misfires. If it doesn't, then probably your cats really are failing. Still the O2 sensors/monitors are a lot cheaper than the cats, and it could be them.

Awh man you guys are awesome thanks each and every one of yall this is helping me soo much. God bless all of yall. Thanks soo much. The wife is saying take it in cause I still have to work so if i do that ill at least go in there with some knowledge. It just worries me taking apart the manifold to access the bank 1 rail of plugs and coils.

Hey joe what would I look up in the search to find those illustrations. Im trying but not getting it. I know ive bothered yall with all this lol last thing. Im not being lazy just incompetent lol. Im trying though. lol

Hey joe what would I look up in the search to find those illustrations. Im trying but not getting it. I know ive bothered yall with all this lol last thing. Im not being lazy just incompetent lol. Im trying though. lol

Here's the gen I procedure, but gen II is a little different.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IntakeManifoldV6/

Here's the gen II procedure in pictures. Note that he is working on the IMT, but still he shows how to take the upper half of the manifold off, which is what you will have to do.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78654

Members online

Back