What is this part? And other issues...

Ickaber

LVC Member
Reaction score
ISSUE 1
I was just looking under the hood of my 2000 V6 and noticed this electrical connector hanging loosely. So I disconnected it and pulled it out. Is this the temp sender?

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0739.jpg

I was trying to figure out how/why it was just sitting so loosely in that hole, and now I realize there should be threads at the bottom end of it, but they're broken off. Meaning there's a piece of this thing stuck down the hole in the car. Anyway, just trying to figure out for sure what it is.

ISSUE 2
This issue seems dumb, but for the life of me I can't find in my manual the cylinder numbers. I had a misfire on cylinder 5, so want to know which one that is, but can't find it anywhere. Can someone please tell me which cylinders are which?

ISSUE 3
I was just looking over the air intake with the idea of keeping an eye out for likely candidates for "unmetered air" entry points. This tube that goes into the side of the air intake tube is just pushed in there and feels very loose. I'm wondering if it should have a clamp on it.

When it first goes in it's very loose, but if I push it a bit further it feels like it might be making its way through a rubber grommet or something. So just curious if this could be an issue or if I need to worry about making sure it's sealed off.

IMAG0737.jpg

Thanks in advance.

1. That's the head temperature sensor. You'll have to get the threaded part of it out some how (screw extractor probably?).
XW4Z-6G004-BA

1. That's the head temperature sensor. You'll have to get the threaded part of it out some how (screw extractor probably?).
XW4Z-6G004-BA

Fortunately, it wasn't tight and a screw extractor was able to spin it out easily. So issues 1 and 2 are both resolved -- or will be tomorrow when I get the new sensor to install. Now I just need to be sure I don't have any leaks on the air intake.

I have the 01V6, same problems as yours, i did put a worm gear strap over that hose next to the intake to keep it tight. Most of my vacuum problems came from the boots on the vacuum line to the PCV valve and PCV valve elbow. Also check the plastic valve cover clip in's that go to the "T" and the "T" fitting to the intake. Those crack from age.

Thanks for the feedback, tireman. I just went out and played with that fitting some. It didn't seem to make any difference at all whether I shoved it further in or took it all the way out and sprayed starting fluid in it. Just for good measure I went ahead and put a clamp on it, though.

I've decided I don't think I'm having vacuum leaks currently. The symptom I'm trying to solve is that when I'm in gear but idling at a stop, there's a slight hiccup every so often. I can feel it, but the tach doesn't indicate any change in the motor. When not in gear, it idles smoothly. I was originally thinking maybe a slight misfire or something with the coil, but since it only happens in gear, I'm thinking it could be something with the transmission or maybe the U-joint.

If the car isn't moving, it's not the U-joint.
How do your motor mounts look? Any dark red stains on the parts under them?

If the car isn't moving, it's not the U-joint.
How do your motor mounts look? Any dark red stains on the parts under them?

Motor mounts are good. I just replaced them a week ago.

Whatever it is, it feels like it's right underneath me sometimes. It's not anything big, just some sort of "bump" every couple of seconds when stopped, but in gear.

Motor mounts are good. I just replaced them a week ago.

Whatever it is, it feels like it's right underneath me sometimes. It's not anything big, just some sort of "bump" every couple of seconds when stopped, but in gear.

Odd. I'd say maybe the center bearing/carrier, but I think you'd have symptoms while driving. Loose exhaust?

Odd. I'd say maybe the center bearing/carrier, but I think you'd have symptoms while driving. Loose exhaust?

Right. You'd think the symptoms would get worse while driving, but instead they go away. Or, because it's so slight to begin with, it becomes unnoticeable. It doesn't feel like anything too bad, but is really irritating. I'll get under the car as soon as I can and poke around and see what I can find.

Maybe you should get the temperature sensor and see if it goes away. The PCM maybe running the engine too lean since it doesn't have as great of an idea what temperature it is at?

Maybe you should get the temperature sensor and see if it goes away. The PCM maybe running the engine too lean since it doesn't have as great of an idea what temperature it is at?

I put the temperature sensor in today, drove it a couple of miles down the road and back to my house, then sat in my driveway with it idling in gear, and still felt it. Would it take more time/miles than that for it to adjust?

I put the temperature sensor in today, drove it a couple of miles down the road and back to my house, then sat in my driveway with it idling in gear, and still felt it. Would it take more time/miles than that for it to adjust?

I wouldn't think it would.

Okay, thanks for the thoughts Joe. I won't be able to look at it further until tomorrow probably, but will post then if I come across anything that could be helpful. Thanks again.

Members online

Back