What is This? Can I Fix it?

6hayden9

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Continental that developed a bad 'creaking' noise from the front divers side when turning and hitting a bump. I looked under the car tonight and found the vertical part shown in the picture that has broken from the lower contol arm (I just placed it back in the hole in the control arm before I took the picture). What does this part do, and can I repair it, and is it the cause of the 'creaking'? The part moves up and down and I think it is a part of the air suspension.

02 Lincoln.jpg

This?
02 Lincoln.jpg

This is the air ride height sensor. It tells the car how high or low it is sitting so it can level itself out. This most likely isn't the cause of your creaking. Drive it and see but i'm guessing ball joint for a creaking of bumps/turning. Were you having air ride problems before?

02 Lincoln.jpg

I did some more research after I did the post and you are right, probably a ball joint or bushing, I had a ball joint replaced last year, but it was discovered during an inspection and did not make any noise yet, i'm not even sure whuch side it was on. I haven't noticed any ride height issues, i'm assuming the whole ride height assembly needs replaced as well?

Look at the other wheel to see how the sensor is supposed to be connected. It just snaps in place so yours may not be broken at all.

Look at the other wheel to see how the sensor is supposed to be connected. It just snaps in place so yours may not be broken at all.
Doing some research, they do sell the part that broke, the pin. It has a ball on one end that attaches to the sensor and the other screws into the control arm itself, but it's about $60 even on e bay. I had the garage start to tap out the end still screwed into the control arm since it sheared off at that point while the ball joint was replaced. I'll have to keep my eyes open on finding a cheaper 'pin'.

Members online

No members online now.
Back