What is the difference between these Motorcraft shock choices?

ayejay

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have decided to replace my front shocks since every bump causes considerable discomfort and they also don’t pass the “bounce test”. I have read all of the other shock posts and do realized that it isn’t recommended to replace the originals since they are no longer manufactured and the Motorcraft shocks are indeed manufactured by various companies. Through all of the posts there is no clear winner but many of you have mentioned the Billsteins and there is a love/hate relationship with the Motorcrafts. According to the following site, there are three differently-priced Motorcrafts that are acceptable for my car which is not a limousine and does not have the Handling Package. I understand those models having different models, but why 3 for mine? Mine is a 2000 Town Car Signature with 130k. Does anyone have an idea why these are different? Here is the link and list:

www.fordparts.com

(ASH-702)
Shock Absorber
base model, without handling package; RH & LH, for attaching hardware order F5AZ-18198-AB. (replacing F8VZ-18124-AA) (Front)
$96.38

(AS-1067)
Shock Absorber
base model, without handling package; RH & LH, for attaching hardware order F5AZ-18198-AB. (Front)
$96.38

(ASHV-1009)
Shock Absorber
except limo, always replace in pairs; RH & LH - Retail (Front)
$45.72

am not aware of a 'handling package' in a town car. other panthers sure, crown vics and grand marquis but not heard of that in a town car

OK

Non handling package is all models that are non extended wheelbase, also known as "L" Models. They are for basic Executive, Signature and Cartier models.

The limo is easy, if you have an Executive L, or Cartier L it is a limo package with a larger alternator and heavy shocks.

The handling package is on 99-2001 models. The trim is known as the Touring model. I have one. They drive nice:) what you will see on touring models to tell the difference is the exterior of the car. The trim is color coded to the rest of the vehicle on the doors and bumpers instead of being chrome strips. Also they have blacked out grilles instead of chrome.

Depending on which of these vehicles you have described above is the type of shock you will need for the TC.

Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.
Back