What holds up the headliner in the rear by 3rd light?

DENNISJR60

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning my back window last night & noticed the headliner is hanging down, but for the life of me can't figure out what holds it up? It's the center part that goes over the 3rd brake light.

I noticed 2 little levers or something that seem to have wires attached to them that turn back & forth.

Anyone know about this?:confused:

THX!

+1, annoying problem. I just took some crazy glue and glued it back up. Cheap, dumb fix. But never had a problem since. Would like to know the proper way to do this though

"What holds up the headliner in the rear by 3rd light?"
Usually after the first year or so, nothing.

The usual solution is to use good Velcro or glue to re-attach it to the third brake light.

It'd actually held up by a Velcro type of fastener. I bought some heavy-duty loop and hook stuff from Lowes and some gel type Super Glue (might have been the Gorilla Glue stuff). If you pull down gentely on the headliner you can just see in the area where the "Velcro" goes. I glued one side of the strip to the headliner and the other to the bottom of the brake light. I then stacked some books between the seat and the headliner to press the two halves together while the glue dried. That was about 7 months ago and so far no more drooping.

My '03 had nothing holding it up, my '05 has a plastic piece that also was not holding it up. Lots of velcro and super sticky glue and even then its probably gonna fall again.

My '03 had nothing holding it up, my '05 has a plastic piece that also was not holding it up. Lots of velcro and super sticky glue and even then its probably gonna fall again.

There is Velcro there, it's just a small piece. That is unless it fell out.

Yes it was a factory fault. Had the dealer fix my 2003 under warranty. This is the TSB TSB03-17-2

The 3M velcro used to attach an EZ pass transmitter works great. Its pretty strong and seems to hold but is a P.I.A. to find. Good Luck

why would you pay the dealer to glue some strips of velcro up?

dealership $80-$100 an hour plus materials... (dont know if I've ever seen them charge much less that a full hour)

lowes:
heavy duty velcro :$4
epoxy: $3

time: 5 minutes, plus drying time (don't have to be there while it dries...) can probably cut that down to a minute and a half if you get the epoxy that comes in self mixing syringes...

Exactly how I did mine, and wedged my long reach snow brush between the seat and the headliner to add pressure while the glue dried.

I didn't even do that, I was afraid of getting an imprint on the ceiling so i just glued both pieces separately, then the next day, after it dried, i just pushed the pieces together.

Thought this was a trick question as most have their kids in the backseat hold it up in place.

Just stick some Velcro in and see if it works. If it still droops, stick some more in. If you're asking for a tsb to pull the headliner out, you don't need to. Just do the edges. I would guess you can get a piece in the center if you take out the dome lamp, but I haven't looked yet.

I think the trade name is dual lock for the ezpass type Velcro with the mushroom pins. It holds a little better and more steadily than hook and loop / prickly and fuzzy Velcro.

dont "just do the edges", the problem is the the glue to the center piece came undone...

just glue one good sized section right to the headliner and roof. done. five minute fix.

I think I used a 2" x 3" piece and it was the plastic velcro not the weak fuzzy sh!t.

J... I would guess you can get a piece in the center if you take out the dome lamp, but I haven't looked yet.....

I really doubt that his is dropped in the center. The common problem with the LS gen II headliner is that it drops at the rear window. It only needs to be reattached to the third brake light at the back, where it has come loose.

It won't let me attach the pdf, but here are the pages.

tsb03-17-02-p1.jpg
tsb03-17-02-p2.jpg

tsb03-17-02-p1.jpg

tsb03-17-02-p2.jpg

Members online

Back