What does this part control?

Timer

LVC Member
Reaction score
Today, while poking around under the hood of my recently acquired 02 V8, I noticed a plastic cover that was obviously removed and not reinstalled correctly. Wondering why it had been removed, I took it off and found a busted vacuum hose just hanging off the solenoid gizmo under it. I didn’t have time to find where the hose leads to, but installed a temp repair.

My question is what is the function of this thing? What is it applying vacuum to?
It is on the driver side inner fender, the mounting bracket is bolted to the suspension bolts.
Thanks in advance!

IMG00814.jpg

Today, while poking around under the hood of my recently acquired 02 V8, I noticed a plastic cover that was obviously removed and not reinstalled correctly. Wondering why it had been removed, I took it off and found a busted vacuum hose just hanging off the solenoid gizmo under it. I didn’t have time to find where the hose leads to, but installed a temp repair.

My question is what is the function of this thing? What is it applying vacuum to?
It is on the driver side inner fender, the mounting bracket is bolted to the suspension bolts.
Thanks in advance!

Looks like cruise control?

It certainly does, but even the gen I cruise should be all electric, so it wouldn't have a vacuum hose connection. Maybe the vacuum hose is not related but goes to something else instead?

Nope, Thats a purge valve for fuel tank emissions

I was hoping it had something to do with the fuel system. My info center was telling me to check the fuel cap, I replaced the cap and it remained on. I figured maybe I had a crack in the fuel fill tube.. Hopefully this will fix that. Thanks everyone!

It certainly does, but even the gen I cruise should be all electric, so it wouldn't have a vacuum hose connection. Maybe the vacuum hose is not related but goes to something else instead?

It is not the cruise control... The cruise control unit(gen 1) is located above the fuel filter (behind the drivers front wheel well liner). If you look at the little green cap(just below your finger) you will see a tag labeled EVAP, It is the EVAP canister purge valve.

It is not the cruise control... The cruise control unit(gen 1) is located above the fuel filter (behind the drivers front wheel well liner). If you look at the little green cap(just below your finger) you will see a tag labeled EVAP, It is the EVAP canister purge valve.

Got it. It looks a bit different and is mounted in a slightly different location on gen II.

Does anyone have a part number for this? Price?? I'm having the infamous P0442 CEL code. replaced the gas cap.. reset the system, but CEL came back on 3 days later...

Is replacing this the next step?

Is this the vapor canister purge valve?
or the vapor canister solenoid??

I'm looking on rockauto and i'm running into a brick wall.

Is this the vapor canister purge valve?
or the vapor canister solenoid??

I'm looking on rockauto and i'm running into a brick wall.

Purge valve. Please be aware that there are many other possible leak sources that could trigger your code, not just the purge solenoid valve.

ARGH! Looks like I'm gonna have to take it into the stealership for a $129 diagnostics to find out the problem.

Members online

Back