What does everyone use for Vin check ?

Anything Goes

1. MrScalia

MrScalia Dedicated LVC Member

In the new world of letitgo apps
    Buying a call is shittier then ever .
    Carfax is too much to start off.

I found one was about it do it . It was $1 a run .. then I read how people are getting charged 18 a month ...

Thanks it's been 8 years since my Town car was totaled .

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

CarFax

3. MrScalia

4. Svets96

Svets96 Dedicated LVC Member

Back in 2016 I ended up using CarFax. I tried to look for other companies but the only two at that time I had found were CarFax and Instantcheck or something. Its the one that you see a lot of Ebay dealers use.

5. tireman

tireman Dedicated LVC Member

Carfax, Autochek, others. However, these are incomplete and do not trust them to be the real truth about the car. Flood cars, and other have their titles washed clean by moving them thru states with less scrutiny. Look at carfax and wonder why cars go thru states like Florida or Tennessee only to be shipped to another state for sale. Look for New Orleans cars or Florida cars around the area with hurricane damage, Roll backs of digital mileage is now probable in many cases to lure you in to a deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • MrScalia

I worked with a GM Mechanic in Ca and the Local Chevy Dealership bought Rigs full of Flood Cars

• 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) | BJA

was known as nmvtis.gov

can show title washing through state transfers, odometer rollbacks and other title issues.

Check Any VIN - It's Free | Free Vehicle History and VIN Check

was known as freevehiclehistoryreport dot com
      used to be more comprehensive, but has been streamlined some. Does show recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.

Between the above two... and a dealers free Carfax or Autocheck... you can get a pretty good picture of what the vehicle has been through. Or if the title has been "doctored".

Say for example... the government site shows the vehicle as registered in Louisiana in 2005... but the others don't show that... it's likely the vehicle was a Katrina victim, and after a couple state transfers... that info disappeared.

Years ago I was looking at an early Ranger with a 5 digit odometer. By the time I got done with nmvtis.gov ... I had determined that it had almost 300k miles on it... instead of just under 100k.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
      • Like Like x 1
      • 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

Also... say Carfax or Autocheck show a vehicle registered in Ohio to a dealer with no milage listing. Then the vehicle is registered in Florida a few days later with xx,xxx miles... then back to the same dealer in Ohio a few days after that with slightly more than xx,xxx miles... the odometer was most likely rolled back.

Or maybe it was transfered state to state... and listed the vehicle as one color with no milage listing... while the second state issued a "corrected" title for the color of the vehicle... and showed a milage listing.

Sometimes it's just a matter of properly interpretating the data.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019