What does everyone do in the snow?

i wonder which is better for snow 20'' rims heavy or factory 16'' with snow tire?

The rims weight is not the biggest factor in winter performance.

Why are winter tires winter tires? What is the difference between a summer tire that will perform like crap in the snow compared to a winter tire that is made for snow? The type of tire has to do more with the performance on snow than the weight of the rim. What if you had 100 lb rims on the ls with slicks on, you think it would perform better than a 15lb rims with snow tires?

:lol:

Wait, are you serious?

I think so, but we all have our moments :shifty:

Weight is a small part of winter performance. After all a 100# tire and rim has a 4,000# car pushing down on it so 100#s is not really significant.

What does make the difference is tire width, narrow is better, tread block design(open is better) and rubber compound(soft and squishy is better).

Take a good look at the majority of snow tires, they are usually as narrow or narrower than stock. This is to help the tire cut thru snow and crud and not "float" on top of it. You can find fat "performance" snow tires, but narrow is usually better and easier to find and much cheaper too.

An open tread block design is required so the tire can throw off snow and not pack it into the tread where it acts like ice on ice. Street tires usually have narrow grooves for smooth quiet driving. Open blocks are noisier and don't handle as well on dry pavement.

Soft rubber compound is usually needed so that the tire conforms to the road, some even have tiny bubbles to act like suction cups. Normal summer rubber gets hard and stiff which can make it skid easier. Soft rubber has a negative though, they will wear out faster and most snow tires don't have soft rubber all the way thru. Usually you have 5,000 to maybe 10,000 miles of soft rubber and then under that is normal rubber. So you have a snow tire as long as the soft rubber lasts, then it becomes a "summer" tire with open treads.

One thing you might look into if you can't afford real snow tires is you can have almost any tire Siped. This is tiny little cuts all around the tread which gives the tire many more gripping edges to handle ice and water. On snow you still have the problem of tread design. I never tried it but have heard it works pretty well and doesn't affect normal wear and handling much.

Just stuff I read and from some experience with my own snow driving.

Jim Henderson

HAHA what is snow? We get "cold fronts" thats about it. Sorry, I had to be another dick about this.

HAHA what is snow? We get "cold fronts" thats about it. Sorry, I had to be another dick about this.

Meh, if I wanted to live in FL, I'd move. I like it up here. Keeps the pansies away. :D

Take it to a nice back road or large parking lot after the first snow and just play with it ... RWD and snow not a problem ...

I just did this last night after work in our spare lot with no light posts in it to hit. Yesterday was our first snowfall for the season and my first snowfall with my LS. I felt comfortable with the balance and weight distribution of it and was always able to correct the direction and straighten it out. I have all-seasons on my winter wheels because that was what was on them when I bought it this past summer. I will replace them with snow tires when the time comes.

For anyone interested in michigan I have a set of 16 stockers for sale just begging for a set of blizzaks to be thrown on...

154338_576142465687_196604021_33002690_4961819_n.jpg

always a good time in a RWD :D

Go to Tire Rack .com for winter tires & wheels. Go to a lumber yard and pay about $3 or 4 dollars per bag of sand. I've seen 60 and 75 pound bags. 2 or 3 of those in the trunk...OR pick up a Jeep Cherokee cheap for the winter driveng. I've done ALL the above since owning the LS and Lightning.

best thing you can do is go to a parking lot when it snows real heavy, turn your trac control off and learn the handling characteristics of the car. i've driven a rwd every winter since i started driving.

1995 thunderbird LX 3.8
1995 thunderbird SC 3.8 supercharged (330 ft lbs and 5 speed.. much fun)
1992 mazda miata (this one was by far the best in the snow)
1994 thunderbird SC auto (this one i traded for my LS)

driving a 2000 ls8 this winter. probably only use trac assist on the highway.....

Blizzaks WS60's here and the car does just fine in Canadian winters including snowstorms.

Brand new all seasons should get you through most situations (conti extreme contact dws are highly rated and a good value) but it might get interesting quick if there's more than a few inches of snow... you'll just spin one tire up hills unless you get momentum going. I see someone mentioned turning traction control off but if you have advance trac, I would only turn it off if you have trouble getting going, but the rest of the time it can be extremely helpful even for an experience driver.
I just put conti extreme winter contacts on my 17's for $600 installed (225/55/17 this makes a difference on price). These are rated as good or better than the michelin xice's and certainly better than blizzak for way less money. I plan on getting new wheels in the spring so I wasn't worried about salt. Obviously not as good handling as an all season tire, but its still tolerable and very quiet for a snow tire... it has yet to snow though for me to really tell a difference but I anticipate a big jump in snow and ice grip. I'm lowered and I just barely rubbed the tire in the back once on a bump going up a steep hill. Also installing traction loc into rearend soon which should drastically increase the ability to get going in the snow.

I saw someone ask if you could put 15's on here... no way... the stock 16s barely clear the calipers.

I left my stock performance tire's on it during the first snow and it was brutal. Kept getting stuck in 1/2" of snow. Turning of the traction control helped me get out of most snow. Plus every corner I went around the back-end fish tailed no matter what speed I was going. As fun as that was, I picked up some Goodyear Nordic 225/55R17's and got them studded. I just put 'em on the stock rim's, as I am planning on getting new rims for next summer. I literally get through everything now, and hardly ever slip in snow/ice.

Members online

No members online now.
Back