What do you think this sound is?

Well... I listened to the video. The noise is hard to pinpoint without having the vehicle present, and having a stethoscope to probe around both top and bottom.

You could do that on yours... and while at it hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what you have at idle and at 3k. If no change in pressure then your oil pump is bad and most likely the top of the engine is starving for oil.

In the video of the Gen 1... in the background behind the knock/rattle... I heard a buzzing sound that sounded like the timing chains/tensioners. While yours may have been replaced, that doesn't mean there is not an issue with the top end of the engine.

Since you think there is alot of noise in the valvetrain... and IF the oil pump is weak... then the bearing surfaces for the camshafts could be worn which would cause excessive valvetrain noise that would make it seem like the followers need a lash adjustment.

So at this point, (without the vehicle in front of me), I would suspect cam rattle due to excessive wear of the cam bearing surfaces due to a weak oil pump... but I'm probably wrong.

Also... I recognize your LS by the red valve covers. It used to belong to a member of this forum. It was at least a couple years ago... but IIRC he painted them when doing his VCG's. He may have done secondary tensioners too.
I painted the valve covers myself haha! So not the same car, but I will check the things you said, it could possibly he the oil pump

morgynn, ive been out of town whats happened w/your ls?
I need to change the coils and then see where I'm at, from there I'll determine if I need valve lash, oil pump, or whatever it may be but I'll start there anywuas

I don't know why you are so concerned about the coils. That's kinda like putting a pearl necklace on a pig. They are not going to fix the engine noise. If it is the oil pump... valve lash is the least of your concerns. The engine is most likely gonna need a full rebuild.

You should probe around the whole engine with a stethoscope to try and locate the noise... and check the oil pressure. Those should be first on the list !

I don't know why you are so concerned about the coils. That's kinda like putting a pearl necklace on a pig. They are not going to fix the engine noise. If it is the oil pump... valve lash is the least of your concerns. The engine is most likely gonna need a full rebuild.
The obd reader told me that they are all no good that's why, I've seen another guys ls make the same noise and it was from the coils, others cam tensioners, others its valves, sometimes oil pump, or even rod knock so I am trying to slim down what it might be, I figure the coils are a good start, I'll check the oil pressure aswell, I just bought and gapped new plugs for it aswell, it did sit for an unknown amount of time before i got it but I'd guess atleast a year, the gas it probably not helping out with the whole situation I'm sure

The obd reader told me that they are all no good that's why, I've seen another guys ls make the same noise and it was from the coils, others cam tensioners, others its valves, sometimes oil pump, or even rod knock so I am trying to slim down what it might be, I figure the coils are a good start, I'll check the oil pressure aswell, I just bought and gapped new plugs for it aswell, it did sit for an unknown amount of time before i got it but I'd guess atleast a year, the gas it probably not helping out with the whole situation I'm sure
I agree ...93 Octane is a must ASAP! Good Luck with the COPs ...if it’s only that I will be amazed ...and we will all realize how crucial the COPs and plugs are in this little beast

I agree ...93 Octane is a must ASAP! Good Luck with the COPs ...if it’s only that I will be amazed ...and we will all realize how crucial the COPs and plugs are in this little beast
Yea I'm hoping it's as simple as COPs, plugs, and some fresh gas, I'm going to look at the oil pressure aswell but I think it should be fine, how hard is it to change the oil pump on these??

Members online

No members online now.
Back