What do you think this sound is?

Morgynn

Active LVC Member
Reaction score

Runs fine until revved past 3k rpm, has new timing chain tensioners, possible tourque converter or flexplate? I replaced the plugs, it doesn't sound bad enough to be rod knock to me, and lifters should be heard more at idle than under acceleration, any thoughts?

Sounds exactly like when I had rod knock...

Runs fine until revved past 3k rpm, has new timing chain tensioners, possible tourque converter or flexplate? I replaced the plugs, it doesn't sound bad enough to be rod knock to me, and lifters should be heard more at idle than under acceleration, any thoughts?

I am in the same boat w/ my 2000, just started w/codes showing too lean fuel both banks. do you show any codes? i am now looking possible major vac leaks
very interested to hear what you find out

I'll let you know if I figure it out, I'm hooking up to a scanner tonight

The Lincoln LS has Tappets not Lifters

Can they go bad??
What kind of Oil are you using and what kind of gas do you put in your car ...start simple first ...5w-20 Mobil 1 oil and at least 91 Octane Gas ...otherwise I don't think the tappets can get damaged ...but I'm not a expert on Tappets ...I just know the LS does not have hydraulic lifters. It has solid tappets (and shims) instead.

What kind of Oil are you using and what kind of gas do you put in your car ...start simple first ...5w-20 Mobil 1 oil and at least 91 Octane Gas ...otherwise I don't think the tappets can get damaged ...but I'm not a expert on Tappets ...I just know the LS does not have hydraulic lifters. It has solid tappets (and shims) instead.
Honestly just got the car so I'm not sure on either, I havent changed the oil yet or put gas in it lol could it just be from shitty old gas??

Can't get the video to play. Probably phone settings. I'll try it on the laptop when I get home. It could be cam rattle too. Especially if cheap oil was used, or the engine wasn't maintenenced regularly.

Can't get the video to play. Probably phone settings. I'll try it on the laptop when I get home. It could be cam rattle too. Especially if cheap oil was used, or the engine wasn't maintenenced regularly.
Well I hooked a code reader up too it and listened with a stethoscope, it definitely needs all new coil packs and I'll also make sure to double check the gap on the plugs at the same time, I could also hear it definitely needs valve lash adjustment so that'll be alot of fun on 32 valves lol does anyone know the o.d for the shims on my gen 2 3.9?

10 miles South to go 45 miles North.

Mt next question should have been... does it make the same noise under load, (while driving), at 3000 rpm... or does it get quieter or go away?

Typically an engine free revving in park will make more noise than when it's pulling/pushing the vehicle down the road.

Some valvetrain noise is normal. I find it hard to believe that a 3.9 with 179km/111k miles is going to need a valve lash adjustment... unless it was thrashed every day of its life, or fed cheap azz walmart oil.

Know what??? I'm calling BS !

In your other recently started engine knocking thread you said it was a 2005, (Gen 2).

I haven't watched the video yet... but that sure looks like a Gen 1 engine to me.

Mt next question should have been... does it make the same noise under load, (while driving), at 3000 rpm... or does it get quieter or go away?

Typically an engine free revving in park will make more noise than when it's pulling/pushing the vehicle down the road.
Know what??? I'm calling BS !

In your other recently started engine knocking thread you said it was a 2005, (Gen 2).

I haven't watched the video yet... but that sure looks like a Gen 1 engine to me.
The video is not of my car

Some valvetrain noise is normal. I find it hard to believe that a 3.9 with 179km/111k miles is going to need a valve lash adjustment... unless it was thrashed every day of its life, or fed cheap azz walmart oil.
It may have been I dont know I just bought it, it definitely Is ticking from the valves,

I

It stays over 3k rpm in park and while driving

It's a 2005 ls v8 with all the options except navigation, pics are of my car, the video wasnt I just used that video because it sounded exactly the same as mine and I couldnt get a good sounding video of my car

20190430_100936.jpg

Well... I listened to the video. The noise is hard to pinpoint without having the vehicle present, and having a stethoscope to probe around both top and bottom.

You could do that on yours... and while at it hook up an oil pressure gauge and see what you have at idle and at 3k. If no change in pressure then your oil pump is bad and most likely the top of the engine is starving for oil.

In the video of the Gen 1... in the background behind the knock/rattle... I heard a buzzing sound that sounded like the timing chains/tensioners. While yours may have been replaced, that doesn't mean there is not an issue with the top end of the engine.

Since you think there is alot of noise in the valvetrain... and IF the oil pump is weak... then the bearing surfaces for the camshafts could be worn which would cause excessive valvetrain noise that would make it seem like the followers need a lash adjustment.

So at this point, (without the vehicle in front of me), I would suspect cam rattle due to excessive wear of the cam bearing surfaces due to a weak oil pump... but I'm probably wrong.

Also... I recognize your LS by the red valve covers. It used to belong to a member of this forum. It was at least a couple years ago... but IIRC he painted them when doing his VCG's. He may have done secondary tensioners too.

Members online

Back