What do you think about the previous body Acura TL?

blacked03ls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Im starting to pile on the miles on the LS and im thinking of trading it in on something. I found an 2005 acura TL with only 19,800 miles for $17,950 on autotrader the other day. What are your feelings or thoughts on the car, and do you know of any issues with them? Besides the v6 and fwd do you like them better than the LS? BTW I have a 2003 ls v8 sport w/ nav with 73,000 miles

the LS is faster than the TL but the TL is nice but JUST as high maintenance. I hate the newer TL's, very ugly

Newer TL's a HIDEOUS!!!!!!!! Whoever changed that great design into what it is now should get fired. They detroyed a great looking car into a fugly faced car. I love the 04-08(I believe) TL's. They look sleek, sporty, nice. I was looking for that as my first car but couldn't find them in my area and found the ls fully loaded first,plus v8 and RWD, I was sold. I wouldn't mind having both the ls and tl in my garage, I wouldn't trade up my ls for a tl though.

Petes are you sure the LS is faster than the TL???

Nice car those years. The new one is freakin ugly.

The last gen TL was hell of a lot better looking. The new ones have the SH-awd which i hear is pretty amazing. IMO the front end of the new ones have that disgusting plastic crap on the front end. Here in Canada were supposed to get a new edition of the TL that lessens the impact of that front end on your eyes. I would prob go for the RL instead of the TL myself if your looking in that year range. The RL does come with the SH-awd i believe so you get the best of both worlds. You can do it up pretty decent too if your looking for that. not to sure about performance thou, haven't looked into that aspect of it.

08 TL = 258 HP and 3623 lbs
06 LS = 280 HP and 3907 lbs

Even though the LS is higher on HP I think that weight difference makes the TL a bit sprightlier.

Ask 02V8Sport he has had both!!

i like them but everybody f*ckin has one...i mean its a good car...3.2l vtec v6...nice body styling...only downside i c is that it's a v6 front wheel drive (tho sum people might like it) and that you would have to custom fab a double din kit for ti since the radios that honda make are meant to stay in the car and not be replaced with an aftermarket unit....also....if u get one...get the tl-s...gun metal rims just look so good on the black on black one...plus if u try to hook it up...it wont look as retarded

08 TL = 258 HP and 3623 lbs
06 LS = 280 HP and 3907 lbs

Even though the LS is higher on HP I think that weight difference makes the TL a bit sprightlier.

Ask 02V8Sport he has had both!!

He has the S, it has 280 I think,around there.

Petes are you sure the LS is faster than the TL???

Nice car those years. The new one is freakin ugly.

already street raced a TL and a RSX-Type S, BMW 535 and 540, Mustang GT, Dodge Charger, Audi TT, Mini Cooper John Cooper, and I think that's it thus far :/ not many fun drivers around here :'(

I had a RSX TypeS with the basic performance bolt-ons and ECU...it would walk my 06 LS no problem...until higher speeds awhere the LS would probably catch up.

Oh, and the the OP, the 08 TL type S is a wicked sweet ride and fast, although I walked one very easily with my Viggen.

Did you lose to every single one of them?

.....? no. a few were neck and neck....though of coarse I have yet to try and street race any fun cars like AMG, or any drivers that know how to drive....thing about WA...too many sh*tty drivers :/

I was neck and neck as well with a Lexus SC430 and a few others. the ones I listed were the wins.....and it was an agreed upon race..or else they were sarcastic when they rolled down their windows and asked if I wanted to race 2-3 lights. :/

I agree that the new Acura tl is hideous. I also thought about getting me a 08 Acura tl type s but it's fwd. If you do get the tl make sure to get the type s. There is a memeber here that had a Mazda 6 and now has the tl.

I mean i love my LS but im just seeing too many problems coming my way, little things none the less but its already getting annoying. I work at a Jaguar/Ford store so i know the techs but i feel like im asking them everyday to replace something or listen for a annoying squeek sound. The TL seems to hold their value quite well and are pretty smooth transmission compared to the LS. The FWD and v6 is my biggest future regret if i go that route. Even living in upstate NY with lots of snow, I love my rwd LS with snows. With the mileage and year of my car i bet they wont offer me :q:q:q:q for a trade in.

I mean i love my LS but im just seeing too many problems coming my way, little things none the less but its already getting annoying. I work at a Jaguar/Ford store so i know the techs but i feel like im asking them everyday to replace something or listen for a annoying squeek sound. The TL seems to hold their value quite well and are pretty smooth transmission compared to the LS. The FWD and v6 is my biggest future regret if i go that route. Even living in upstate NY with lots of snow, I love my rwd LS with snows. With the mileage and year of my car i bet they wont offer me :q:q:q:q for a trade in.

sounds like your problems aren't bad. If the tranny problem (fixable with a tune) and repairs (which btw, getting in a another car or newer car will arise NEWER problems) then you should just be satisfied with the LS, just pay it off and be happy that it's what you like. By repairing everything the car pretty much IS NEW if you block out the speedometer....I've pretty much replaced nearly everything in my LS including the engine so my car is pretty new and buying it originally for 11k is not bad either....new cars with all these features and power with all the mods would cost maybe...what....50k or so new? lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back