what do i need to swap my tranny?

Brian Williams

LVC Member
Reaction score
As some of you know. I bought a part car for my 84 mark LSC and have come to the conclusion that i am gonna switch transmissons since i cant fine the reason for my current one to switch out of 1st gear. Now since it is the same year but the base mark unlike mine which is the LSC. Will it need to have a different rear end?

I do believe (quoteing OLD School) that the LSC had a different gear ratio 9:27 vs the 9:08 that the base model had. Is this true and would it be a factor?

Or can I simply bolt and unbolt them both and expect them to fit?

Also what kits do I need? Fluids? Do i need to get a new torque converter or use the existing? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys! I still cant believe i found that part car for 150.00!

It will be a direct swap. The gears are 3.27 and 3.08, though. I really do not think it is a good idea to switch the transmission without knowing what is causing your shifting problems, but I've already told you that.

You have an AOD in your mark7 obviously. Why not just try to fix your problem first - before spending a boat on somthing stupid.

The biggest cause of not shifting out of 1st in the winter is the governor being stuck - I would assume after you drive it for a long time in 1st it should eventualy shift out of 1st.....try it.

ALso, the other lead cause would be sticky VB....the cold brings out trans problems more.

it wont fix itself? will it?

So if I drive it long enough in first gear that it will fix itself? I dont think it is acting up because it has a cold. Sniff...lol. Something is wrong because last night I went up and down every line I could think of. doing the water test and the propane test. I have every line connected and fixed and have checked every thing you have recomended.

now I am curious about one last thing before i go to tearing my baby apart. what is that vacume line that connects directly to the TB with the kick down bar and the accelorator? I do believe that this might need to be adjusted and or replaced. Since I have no other ideas...

I have had it sitting for about a month now due to this problem. Keep in mind that I have a perfectly good transmission sitting next toit in the parts car (84 mark) that I reciently purchased. So really I am talking about dropping both and swapping the parts that i need. But I am not sure (until i start) what i will need to get it sealed back up and while I got it open what I should look for ( bad or good) and or replace since I am all up in it....

Thanks for the info my brothas!!

oH, and the AOD transmission does not have ANY vacume controls....it accualy is self contained tranny and only requires the tv rod/cable be adjuste properly. So you are wasting your time thinking about vacume entirely.

I am not saying it will FIX ITSELF, but I am saying that it is common for the AOD to stick in gears due to debris in the VB and dbris in teh governor. If you plan on dropping it, I would NEVER use that tranny you have in the parts car as you know nothing about it, how many miles, condition. I would spring to grab a 90+ AOD from another mark that has eliminated the 3/4 accumulator and better internals - OR - rebuild the one you have with a 90+ vb swaped into it.

DOn't swap that old nasty 84 trans in there - no telling what condition it is in.

oH, and the AOD transmission does not have ANY vacume controls....it accualy is self contained tranny and only requires the tv rod/cable be adjuste properly. So you are wasting your time thinking about vacume entirely.

I am not saying it will FIX ITSELF, but I am saying that it is common for the AOD to stick in gears due to debris in the VB and dbris in teh governor. If you plan on dropping it, I would NEVER use that tranny you have in the parts car as you know nothing about it, how many miles, condition. I would spring to grab a 90+ AOD from another mark that has eliminated the 3/4 accumulator and better internals - OR - rebuild the one you have with a 90+ vb swaped into it.

DOn't swap that old nasty 84 trans in there - no telling what condition it is in.

How can I check the VB and the governor?

Silver :

Where are they located and is there a way of testing them? My options are limmited at the moment. I just need to drive at this point. I have some funds coming in the new year that will help with the restoration...So I basicly need to make it until march. Any help is needed and appreciated!

I was also told that the AOD is GAS actuated so me being the non mechanic, I assumed that a certain amount of pressure was needed with a modulator valve to work or something. does the AOD even have one?

Is there any other gizmos, duhickies or sensors I can check before I do anything to F my car up?

Again I DO not know...That is why I am asking. I need a tranny dude and a path to follow...Please anyone Help!

It is common for the AOD sto stick in gears until warmed up - this is usually a sign of the gov or VB being sticky due to debris.

get some CHEMTOOL B12 from Oreily's and dump it in the trans, run for few mins.

The governor is what tells the trans when to shift - often it can be stuck and not tell the trans that the output shaft is accualy spinning. This is located in the extension housing of the rear of the trans. It is kinda involved and requires dropping the drivline/trans crossmember to get access to the gov.

The Valve Body is located in the trans pan - is very easy to get too. I would start here. Drop the pan and the 14 bolts holding the VB up. Take the VB and dunk it in gasoline or some kind of solvent like paint thinner. After you let is soak for a few mins, take the seperator plate off (make sure to have some new sep plate gaskets) note the locations of the check balls, remove them. Take s scribe and work the valves by hand make sure none are stuck. If you find a sticky one - remove it a clean it well.

Reassemble after you clean it well.

This work is timely but the only cost is fluid/cleaner/gaskets. Much cheaper than a rebuild. If it were me, I would look on the net and BUY a 90+ AOD VB that is clean and working. That way you can swap in a good unit with better shift charecteristics. This would be MUCH easier than cleaning the one you have :)
If it doesn't work after that......might be governor - unfortunatly you can only diagnose trans problems one at a time.

Oh, and GAS operated? No....it is completely hydro preassure system with a THROTTEL VALVE rod/cabel as the only driver input that read how much Throttel pressure you are applying. As I said, the AOD is selfcontained and if need be can be used with absolutely no hookups when using a manaul vb. It would essentually turn it into a manaul transmission with a torque converter :)

Silver:

Thanks that gives me some options. Do you also think that the TB kick down or cable may need to get adjusted or is that more for the proper :q:q:q:q timing and so forth?

I will get on that once it warms up a bit. I need to find a garage to work in. And then I will get back to you....MAny thanks!

Na.....if the cable isn't hooked up it will have stacked shifts and if you have it too tight it might hold a gear too long, but it will shift.

Members online

No members online now.
Back