What do I need to do

bthompson743

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2002 lincoln towncar executive L series the car keeps overheating I replaced the water pump and I'm going to replace the thermostat can anyone give me instruction on how to replace the heads gaskets?:(

Before assuming its head gaskets is there white smoke? If not do hydrocarbon tests for the coolant.

The SOHC is a bit difficult to burp, make sure to get all the air out of the system.

If it is the head gasket just swap motors, much cheaper and easier (Trust Me). if you're some what good at spinning wrenches it can be done in a long weekend.

Don't do the head gaskets, just find another engine.

If you replace the head gaskets, you have to get new head bolts because they are torque-to-yield and can only be used once. Second it would be smart to have the heads decked (especially if it has over heated). Third you need to buy/rent a cam holding tool. Fourth you should re-install with new timing chain tensioners, not to mention the oil, coolant, brake clean you will use. So your looking at a 40-60hr job for a novice and about $800 on the conservative side. On top of all that you need to be 100% sure you timed the motor right because it is an interference motor and if one tooth is off there goes you engine.

Things are a bit more expensive in California but just doing a quick look and you should be able to find an engine for $400-$700 and swapping is much, much easier.

Start HERE if you 100% sure your head gaskets are bad, but as mentioned before do a hydrocarbon tests for the coolant.

As far as burping the system you have to let the coolant come up to temp and release the air from the over flow tank, but you are going to have to do it through a few heat cycles because you will lose some coolant and will have to top it off when the engine is cold.

To really do it correctly though is to remove the upper heater core hose from the fire wall and let the engine run letting the air escape since that is the high spot on these engines. I have never done it that way and haven't had a problem yet.

Thanks for all of your imput guys and now what about the intake manifold can someone give me the proper instructions on installing the manifold and how to put in the gaskets. Is there a sealer that I need to use or what? And I just bought a innova obd2 and want to know any info on this

not to sound dumb but did you chech to see if the cooling fan is engaging? if im not mistaken on the 98 and up they went to an all electric setup with a 2 speed operation I would hate to see you spend a lot on a simple part.

Members online

No members online now.
Back