What Controls the DCCV?

CMac455

New LVC Member
Reaction score
One day I parked and there was smoking coming from the dash with an electrical burning smell. Then the AC stopped working. I changed the DCCV with the pretense that it would not work and it did not. The compressor runs (as I try to pinch the heater lines so I can get AC to work, but it still pushes through when at highway RPM.

So I'm thinking that whatever module opens and closes the DCCV is what would be bad. Especially if i saw smoking and smelled burning. I checked the fuse and it is not blown.

What do you guys think?

Is this something that frequently goes bad? I do not get any codes when I do the self test, by the way.

No. I heard of two or three, but certainly not "frequently."

As I was finalizing my engine change last week, I was unable to get water to flow into my heater to burp the system. I ended up pulling out my 5 month old DCCV and testing for responses to setting the temp control at 90 and 60 alternatingly. I found that nothing made anything move. However, it was wide open, the failsafe position, and that was not my problem. I was determined to find out what made it not close when I set the DATC temp to 60. I had 12 volts available to the valve, but ground was not becoming available to make the valve shut. My pinpoint test pretty much said to change the DATC module, but heck, the car was shut off for over 2 weeks, and it was working before it lost the engine. I took a SWAG and pulled the battery terminal off for 5 minutes, and the valve started working again when I reconnected the battery. Pretty strange. If you do change the DATC module, it seems to be one of the parts that needs to be linked to the car's identity by the dealership tools, if I am not mistaken.

I would say that which ever device lets its smoke out is at least part of if not all of the problem...

what does the self test say?

I would say that which ever device lets its smoke out is at least part of if not all of the problem...

what does the self test say?

I ran the self test about a year ago (when the problem started) and did not receive any codes. I thought that was weird whenever there is obviously a problem. I can give it another shot if I can find how to do it for an '01.

I wonder if there is something going on with wiring in general. If I try to turn my radio volume up from the steering wheel, then it swaps to FM2, to AM, to CD, etc.. Also, when it rains out, sometimes it will mute, unmute, mute, over and over again.

I'm wondering if there are some shorts back there that caused it. Is there any instruction as to how to remove the radio and DATC module?

I ran the self test about a year ago (when the problem started) and did not receive any codes. I thought that was weird whenever there is obviously a problem. I can give it another shot if I can find how to do it for an '01.

I wonder if there is something going on with wiring in general. If I try to turn my radio volume up from the steering wheel, then it swaps to FM2, to AM, to CD, etc.. Also, when it rains out, sometimes it will mute, unmute, mute, over and over again.

I'm wondering if there are some shorts back there that caused it. Is there any instruction as to how to remove the radio and DATC module?

The steering wheel control with regard to radio doing the wrong thing is usually the steering column clockspring assembly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back