Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i got bored at work so i started this.

Photo 92.jpg

Photo 93.jpg

Photo 94.jpg

Photo 96.jpg

Photo 97.jpg

Damn i wish i could get bored at work and just build a box for my system. next time u get bored i have 2 12s and i want a custom box, soo.... what do u think. ohh yeah it looks nice

I've got 2 12's in my car, and 2 10's sitting in my room. I gotta make a box for the 10's and sell them. Just been too lazy.

I actually got bored this weekend as well, and repainted my box in my car. It's a lot like the color on grayghost's car, except a semigloss finish.

That box looks real nice, but say goodbye to a whole bunch of trunk space. You might only be able to fit 1 person in there, instead of about 3.

2k2ls said:
i got bored at work so i started this.
Hey good :q:q:q:q man im going to get started on my kickers this week but the only problem i have is what to do with the two nitrous bottles and what happens when you get a flat tire(cuz you know if you cover the spare up it will happen)????? just my problems im really just thinking out loud.....

i want a custom box for 2 10s i got... i got a custom kicker box that i bought but i jus am not really liking it too much... i want one that sits all the way back and actually looks like it supposed to be there like the one you are building now...

its not all that heavy acutally 1 sheet of mdf and the equipment. and there still some trunk space. I made sure I left room behind the seat for grocery shopping, cleaning chemicals and my kids crap. The main thing was making sure I can still get my spare tire out without a fight. in the next few days Ill have some updated pics and specs if anybody needs. Thanxs for the feedback

LennDawg said:
i want a custom box for 2 10s i got... i got a custom kicker box that i bought but i jus am not really liking it too much... i want one that sits all the way back and actually looks like it supposed to be there like the one you are building now...

If you want it to sit all the way back, put about a 70 degree angle on the back, instead of 90. Make sure it isn't taller than 12", and no wider than about 30". That should make the box sit back there nice. With 2 10's, you shouldn't have a problem with the box covering the spare opening.

SurfjaxLS said:
If you want it to sit all the way back, put about a 70 degree angle on the back, instead of 90. Make sure it isn't taller than 12", and no wider than about 30". That should make the box sit back there nice. With 2 10's, you shouldn't have a problem with the box covering the spare opening.

thanks surf... do you need to make the box out of anything special? im not familiar with making boxes... does it matter if i make the box the width of the trunk and only put 2 tens in it or wud that be too much empty space?

Use 3/4" mdf, buy it at like home depot. The only problem with making it the width of the trunk is clearance with the trunk hinges. If it fits, than go with it. You probably want about 2 cubic feet of internal volume in the box, but check the specs from the manufacturer.

As far as actually building it, make a mock up out of cardboard to make sure it fits, and remember to seal the inside seams with liquid nails or silicone.

yea thats how i mocked it, with cardboard. used mdf, and black urethane

hey a couple more questions on the custom box... am i supposed to leave the top of the box open like in the pics above or is 2k eventually going to close that off, and how deep should i make the box, you told me no taller than 12" and now wider than 30", whats the depth?

and is the box mounted down by anything, is it secured or is it just sitting in the trunk?

and do i have to take all of the trunk rug off before i put the box in or can i just leave all the rug down?

is the sound going to be alright after all this, cause i got a Kicker custom box now thats ported, i think (got a hole on the side of the box) what is that for?

2K post the finished product up so i can see how it looks, im desperatly trying to learn how to make one of these bad boys...

well the ports depends on what kind of speaker your pushing. the depth was like 14 inches. I tried to keep it square. plus I have some storage behind the seats which was kinda important. it hits pretty hard for crap mtx's im gonna run 3 planet audios. I just did the eq and cap today. ill post more pics soon

LennDawg said:
hey a couple more questions on the custom box... am i supposed to leave the top of the box open like in the pics above or is 2k eventually going to close that off, and how deep should i make the box, you told me no taller than 12" and now wider than 30", whats the depth?

and is the box mounted down by anything, is it secured or is it just sitting in the trunk?

and do i have to take all of the trunk rug off before i put the box in or can i just leave all the rug down?

is the sound going to be alright after all this, cause i got a Kicker custom box now thats ported, i think (got a hole on the side of the box) what is that for?

2K post the finished product up so i can see how it looks, im desperatly trying to learn how to make one of these bad boys...

Don't worry, you're picking it up pretty quick, we all had to start where you are at one time as well.

As far as the depth, you'll probably want around about 10". Since this is your first box, just make it plane old rectangle.

The box should be fine just sitting in the trunk, but if it flips over or anything, you may want to secure it down.

The trunk rug/carpeting can stay, and probably should. It will look better, and if you need to you can velcro the box down. I have my amp velcroed to the side of the trunk carpeting, and it hasn't fallen off, even with my driving.

It'll sound different than your ported box. Ported boxes can play louder, but not as clean. It's more for rap/hiphop. A sealed box, the one I'm talking about, will be cleaner, better for rock and real fast bass lines. If you want to port this box, it'll become more comlicated than you can imagine. I still have yet to build a ported box, I've only designed one for a friend. He was on his own making it.

I posted a pic of my box, it took about 3 weeks to do it pretty good. It could be better if I prepped it a little better.

Good luck, and if you need any more help, just let someone know. Motts is a great source on audio, as well as 2k2ls.

small subs.jpg

itsnotmydaddys said:
Damn i wish i could get bored at work and just build a box for my system. next time u get bored i have 2 12s and i want a custom box, soo.... what do u think. ohh yeah it looks nice

LOL!!! Very nice. I know I was one of the first to build a board for 4 12's in an 88 convertible Mustang. Even the pros were telling the trunk was too small. At first I used the car's jack to hold it in place till I found a good way to mount it. That system pounded top up or down.

Just skip work for a day or 2 and make your own. Shipping will kill you on a sub box.

anyone can build a box. just start with cardboard and tape. you can mock the whole thing up. a nice jig saw never hurts. no bs tho I spent $29 on the jig saw and $26 for a 4x8 sheet of mdf. its WAY more cost effective to do the box yourself. so far between the box and the bottom piece ive only used 1 sheet ( and thats with errors) for the circles i have a friend who builds counter-tops so he made a template and with a router cut the perfect circles for me

so far between the box and the bottom piece ive only used 1 sheet ( and thats with errors) for the circles i have a friend who builds counter-tops so he made a template and with a router cut the perfect circles for me[/QUOTE]

Uhhh your friend did the hardest part!!

if you think cutting a circle is THAT hard I hope you never install anything harder than wipers or youll have problems.

2k2ls said:
if you think cutting a circle is THAT hard I hope you never install anything harder than wipers or youll have problems.
:I

Wood is easy to cut in. In one box, I cut 1/4" plexi for the sub. If you went to fast, it would melt the plexi back together. I ended up craking the plexi when I turned the volume real loud. It was actually kinda cool.

It doesn't have to be perfect, just fit. With a router it is almost a joke, I still use a jigsaw, and I've come real close to a perfect circle.

I think the hardest part is putting the first pieces together if you don't have anyone else to help you.

Another hard part for a newbie at boxes is carpet. I saw how it was done before my first box, so it was easier. But I still had frayed edged, and a few bad cuts, both on the carpet and hands.

the first pieces suck b/c you need three hands. the rug is more critical than hard i think. carpet is the finishing touch that could make all the little imperfections go away. and yea I cracked plexi b4, in a bandpass box I had

what do you do with the carpet, just put some adhesive down to keep it on the box? and where can i get some of the factory carpet like in my trunk?

Members online

No members online now.
Back