what brand and model ignition coils for 02 LS?

baire702

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have read several posts about these. After being confused, I want to ask, what is the best brand and model ignition coils for my 02 LS v8??

thank you!
-caryl

Stick with the OEM, Motorcraft. Had 4 fail before the 15th birthday. Replaced all with Motorcraft, no misfire since. 11+ years from the OEM with a valve cover leak before first misfire, I can't complain.

Stick with the OEM, Motorcraft. Had 4 fail before the 15th birthday. Replaced all with Motorcraft, no misfire since. 11+ years from the OEM with a valve cover leak before first misfire, I can't complain.

Wow! That's great! Are there certain models of motor craft that are better?

If you find one that last as long under the same or worse conditions, go ahead and recommend it. Just relaying my experience as a an only vehicle owner.

I'm doing some more research. Will I need an ignition coil unit to go with the coils?

I'm doing some more research. Will I need an ignition coil unit to go with the coils?

the coils are the "ignition COIL units"

you will need 8 coils and 8 spark plugs, and when you remove the current coils, if you find any oil in the wells, then you will also need VCGs

the coils are the "ignition COIL units"

you will need 8 coils and 8 spark plugs, and when you remove the current coils, if you find any oil in the wells, then you will also need VCGs

VCGs???

I came out of winter 3 years ago with a VCG leak and misfire. Had VCGs and one coil replaced. Good for that year. Had a second COP fail in a year or 2, had it replaced, good for the year. Had 2 fail this year, had the remainder replaced, no more misfired for 4k mi so far. Would be nice if they lasted forever but they don't.

If you find one that last as long under the same or worse conditions, go ahead and recommend it.

Actually I can. Borg Warner from your local O'Reillys'. Lifetime warranty... and made in the USA, (last time I checked). Also using Bosch Iridium plugs too.

Chinese/Ebay coils are junk,,, and to be stayed away from. Even though some Ebay sellers have Motorcraft pasted all over their listing,,, read the fine print!!! Most of them are selling base Motorcraft plugs with cheap aftermarket Chinese coils. Buyer beware!!!

I came out of winter 3 years ago with a VCG leak and misfire. Had VCGs and one coil replaced. Good for that year. Had a second COP fail in a year or 2, had it replaced, good for the year. Had 2 fail this year, had the remainder replaced, no more misfired for 4k mi so far. Would be nice if they lasted forever but they don't.

If you are putting the coil covers back on after each coil change,,, you are wasting your time. All the coil covers do is make the engine look pretty... and trap heat,,, shortening the life of the coils.

I've been so back and forth about taking the coil cover off or not. There is a lot of heat in that confined engine compartment for sure. Living in the LV desert I've wondered about the dust factor though. I understand heat kills everything and of course it is extra hot here about half of the year. As with everything, there are pros & cons I'm sure to doing it. What have some of you decided, on or off?

I did a coil and plug change 100k miles ago,,, and left the coil covers off. As long as you don't do any deep water driving,,, and your cowl seal is good,,, then you shouldn't have any problems.

If the cowl seal is bad,,, then it wouldn't matter anyway... because the water is known to drip onto the coil wiring harness and migrate under the covers,,, shorting out the coils.

so what part numbers of Motorcraft coils are best? or are all Motorcraft OK?

I converted to Accel 4.6L 2V coils, part 140032, and got 80K-miles out of them until my valve cover gasket leaked and took them out. They aren't a direct swap because you have to swap the pins in the coil connector and they don't bolt to the stock location.

DG529 is the latest revisions you could get for the OEM coils your LS needs.
You would have noted that in the 100+ other coil threads.

DG529 is the latest revisions you could get for the the OEM coils your LS needs.
You would have noted that in the 100+ other coil threads.

I am a newbie here. I want to get the best parts for my LS. I believe asking avoids getting wrong parts.

Guess I will tag every post that comes up like this with an update. Delphis going strong, year and a quarter now. 7 k miles. It's looking good, need any new ones yet Joe?

Good to know there are other options. I expect my LS will be well into her 20s before new coils are needed. I probably won't be the owner then.

Guess I will tag every post that comes up like this with an update. Delphis going strong, year and a quarter now. 7 k miles. It's looking good, need any new ones yet Joe?

Nope. The Motorcraft and Visteon ones are all still doing fine. I think a bit over 100K on the Visteons and 60K+ on the Motorcraft.

Members online

Back