What are these sensors that should not be leaking like this.

kkiley

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2005 LS V8. Both sides of the engine banks have a sensor like this and they are spewing oil lightly. While I am under the hood, think I should address this too.

What is this sensor and how does it come out?

20180414_135115.jpg

Those aren't sensors, they're actuators. They're the solenoids that control the oil pressure to the variable intake cams to adjust advance on the intake valves. The name is VCT.

The gaskets are easy to change out. Just unplug the electrical connector, pull the old gasket out, push the new gasket in, and reconnect the connector.

The part number is 2W9Z-6A545-AA, you need two. Amazon has them.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NS3XR6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Probably the easiest thing you can change on this car.
Here's a longer thread: Oil Leak - Cam sensors? 03 LS V8

I'll leave this info here in case anyone finds it useful:

• part # 2W9Z-6A545-AA , like joegr said above
  • interchangeable with the Jaguar part AJ82856 "Variable Timing Solenoid Gasket" (I have Ford on one side, Üro for Jag on the other) - usually cheaper (Rock Auto has it for $6) or more readily available
  • you do NOT need to remove your cam cover to remove or install this; it comes out through the top side and has a lip so it doesn't go too far in
  • the cam cover seal kits don't come with this (haven't seen one that has it yet)
  • very hard rubber (almost plastic) material - don't expect you can squeeze it; I had success prying at it with a knife, but be careful not to damage the plastic cam cover mating surface
  • here's a guy that shows what's involved - different kind of Jag, but still an AJ8 engine; procedure not different from ours: clean the area, disconnect the VVT actuator electrical connector, pry out the seal, push a new one in, reconnect electrical (again, joegr already said this).

Thanks! That is awesome. I have them ordered and should be a simple install.

Yeah these are really simple, did mine over the weekend. No brainer! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.
Back