What are people doing for broken retaining clips on the center vent?

theophile

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The metal clips and associated plastic tabs on my center vents/message center bezel were broken off and missing when I got the car. I have seen the advice about reinforcing them before they break and gluing them back on after they break, but I'm looking for a good solution for when they're gone entirely. I could hit up ebay or troll the junkyard in hopes of finding one that isn't already broken, but it seems like there ought to be a fix. Has anyone come up with anything good?

This sounds like a job for...

3-D PRINTER MAN!!!

Anyone here have a 3D printer and want to play around? Could be a nice little side business for you...

I haven't had any problems with those clips. I'd only had problems with the bosses that hold the message center buttons in breaking.

I haven't had any problems with those clips. I'd only had problems with the bosses that hold the message center buttons in breaking.

just had to deal with this. some gorilla glue, clamped overnight, seems to be a good solution. had to do the same with the advance trak button when first bought the car. not sure what "metal clips" OP is talking about...

same here... both with the message center buttons and the Advancetrac button.

just had to deal with this. some gorilla glue, clamped overnight, seems to be a good solution. had to do the same with the advance trak button when first bought the car. not sure what "metal clips" OP is talking about...

I'm taking about these. There are two of them, one on each side, attached to plastic tabs. They are what keep the vent trim in place in the dash. I'd be happy to glue and clamp the plastic tabs, but mine are just plain gone.

If someone could measure the length of the plastic tabs for me, I suppose I could try to make my own.

41QIoLquz1L_1432171879344._SY400_.jpg

here one thing i've tried before on a different car but the same problem.

go to a junkyard and pull any random trim piece with the same kind of clip (a large percentage of american and some japanese cars use them and usually at least ten years old). it works better if the panel itself is thin and flat.

cut the panel up, basically cutting each clip loose with about a one square inch of base that the clip post is attached at. then use a strong epoxy to adhere the new donor clip on to your panel in the proper spot. use a dremel to trim as needed.

Members online

Back