what a way to begin a new year

Dead President

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
well i had the day off and figured i'd find out why my check engine light came on last night after i got on it. it was misfiring pretty bad so this didnt come as no surprise. i've read all the horror stories. i'll let the pics speak for themselves

img325.jpg

img326.jpg

img327.jpg

my poor car :(

i was going to get tint soon but looks like that will have to wait. i think i've seen a write up on the valve cover gaskets. i'm not looking forward to an entire day of turning wrenches plus my oil change is almost up so i've got a lot planned ahead. too much $$ i dont want to be spending on maintenance.

anyway, how do i inspect a coil on plug? i'm thinking of going with 8 brand new ones since we can get them at $30/each from the other thread

any input would be appreciated

Chad

I'm not sure on the coils other than to check their impedence. Which is something that i've been needing to do myself for sometime. So...I hope someone replies with the correct impedence.

As for the valve cover gaskets...they aren't too bad. Not like changing them on an old 350 or anything but...overall...not too bad. I did mine in about 4 hours. The write up under the technical articles was very helpful. I posted a thread with some additional info that you may find useful. Just search on Pete02LSE.

-Pete
02LSE

Changing the valve covers can be a pain...but changing the coils isn't too bad. Once you get the covers changed and resealed, I might recommend you clean your coils and boots up real good and try them again. It's very possible once you get the oil out of there, they will work just fine. I had one that did. If they don't work, then it's not too much work to throw the new coils in. Might save you some significant money!

two questions:

is the plug under the coil?

how many miles does your car have?

LikeNew02 said:
two questions:

is the plug under the coil?

how many miles does your car have?

65K and i don't know what your trying to ask on the other Q? the COP just plugs onto the spark plug

pete: i check ur other thread some useful info thx

2001: i like ur thinking, could save me 300, will go with that route and if i get any signs of a failing COP off it goes. also, what is the correct way to clean them up and get them ready for use again?

Dead President said:
65K and i don't know what your trying to ask on the other Q? the COP just plugs onto the spark plug

pete: i check ur other thread some useful info thx

2001: i like ur thinking, could save me 300, will go with that route and if i get any signs of a failing COP off it goes. also, what is the correct way to clean them up and get them ready for use again?

Blast them with a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner. It will get the oil off better than a can of carb cleaner, but it is completely electronics friendly.

You can pick it up at any auto parts store. Red can with a picture of a starter on the front.

You can also use CRC Brake Cleaner. Cleans extremely well and dries off completely very quickly. If you have it available, use compressed air to dry to blow everything off immediately after spraying. If not, just spray until everything is clean and let it dry. Won't take long.

By the way....the brake cleaner will not harm your coils either.

Members online

No members online now.
Back