Well, this is Lincoln vs Cadillac

BlackBurb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Getting very close to another car purchase. Having had an 03 LS V8, it's high on my list. However, the 05-07 Caddy STS V8 has crept onto the list as well. But I know virtually nothing about them. Anyone have/had both a Gen2 LS and a Gen1 STS? I know there's 40 more horsies in the Caddy, but I'm more interested in handling than straight line perf. I really liked my LS, but I also like trying different things. Unfortunately, there aren't any STS's for sale anywhere close enough to me to just go check out.

You do know your Avatar is very distracting for some of us right? How you expect any to read all that text to the right of it?

~ sorry no Caddy experience here. I'm of no help at all. I do like them though, the look good, styling is spot on.

Getting very close to another car purchase. Having had an 03 LS V8, it's high on my list. However, the 05-07 Caddy STS V8 has crept onto the list as well. But I know virtually nothing about them. Anyone have/had both a Gen2 LS and a Gen1 STS? I know there's 40 more horsies in the Caddy, but I'm more interested in handling than straight line perf. I really liked my LS, but I also like trying different things. Unfortunately, there aren't any STS's for sale anywhere close enough to me to just go check out.
Test drive a few. That's the only way I would know for sure if I were you.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Before I bought my '04 LS Sport V8 three years ago, the '08-11 Gen II STS with the revised direct injection V6 and 6-spd auto trany and added technologies was at the top of my want list. The only problem was that due to the economic down turn, the number of Gen II STS that were sold and available on the used car market were greatly reduced. I keep finding V8 AWD premium models that were just too expensive for the budget at the time. The price of the STS was much higher than the even the very low mileage '04 Lincoln LS that I found - due of course to its depreciation from the know maintenance issues. My brother in-law had a few STS as company cars - both Gen I & Gen II - he was a GM executive. My neighbor had one and loved it, but it was RWD. He later traded it in on a Lincoln MKS with AWD.

I love my Lincoln LS, but I have already bought it's replacement. I needed something a bit more versatile with more back seat room and carrying capacity, as well as the ability to head to Home Depot of Lowes twice a month or even tow a trailer. If I had the garage space we would keep the LS because I love to drive a great handling executive sedan, but its time to get her cleaned up and listed for sale while everything still works and there are no leaks.

Before I bought my '04 LS Sport V8 three years ago, the '08-11 Gen II STS with the revised direct injection V6 and 6-spd auto trany and added technologies was at the top of my want list. The only problem was that due to the economic down turn, the number of Gen II STS that were sold and available on the used car market were greatly reduced. I keep finding V8 AWD premium models that were just too expensive for the budget at the time. The price of the STS was much higher than the even the very low mileage '04 Lincoln LS that I found - due of course to its depreciation from the know maintenance issues. My brother in-law had a few STS as company cars - both Gen I & Gen II - he was a GM executive. My neighbor had one and loved it, but it was RWD. He later traded it in on a Lincoln MKS with AWD.

I love my Lincoln LS, but I have already bought it's replacement. I needed something a bit more versatile with more back seat room and carrying capacity, as well as the ability to head to Home Depot of Lowes twice a month or even tow a trailer. If I had the garage space we would keep the LS because I love to drive a great handling executive sedan, but its time to get her cleaned up and listed for sale while everything still works and there are no leaks.

Right now, although none are close to me, I'm finding 05-06 LS V8's (I really only want an LSE or an 06) and STS V8 RWD's at very similar prices given similar condition. I have no interest in a V6 in either car and I don't want AWD if I go Caddy. I already have one small, true sports car and two full-size SUV's (Suburban and Expedition). My daily driver is a rust free 1990 Sedan DeVille but it's time to get something more modern and fun again.

If I had the money, and I clearly don't, I would absolutely get an STS-V. Even if it turned out I didn't really like it (doubtful), I'd like the experience of having one and resale is always easy due to the scarcity. I LOVE the blower whine!

IMG_20161109_123417354_HDR.jpg

Quote Rig:

"You do know your Avatar is very distracting for some of us right? How you expect any to read all that text to the right of it?"

Yeah... I noticed that before you said something Rig. :)

BB,

Any reason for the STS over the CTS? Not paticularly a GM fan... but part of me is actually drawn to the CTS-V in the model years you are looking at.

Quote Rig:

"You do know your Avatar is very distracting for some of us right? How you expect any to read all that text to the right of it?"

Yeah... I noticed that before you said something Rig. :)

BB,

Any reason for the STS over the CTS? Not paticularly a GM fan... but part of me is actually drawn to the CTS-V in the model years you are looking at.

Yeah, I sat in a 2016 CTS and it felt too cramped. Older gens in my price range were even smaller.

More cramped than the LS??? In what ways?

It's hard to pin down. My LS felt wide open from the driver's seat. I think the low console and flat center dash have something to do with it. The CTS had a center stack and console that felt cockpit like. I don't like that feeling unless in a true sports car. A sedan I want to feel open from the driver's seat. The view out the windshield might have something to do with it as well, (maybe higher beltline in the CTS too?) but that's just speculation as it's been 5 years since I sold my LS and the CTS was just last spring.

It was a CTS-V at an auto show and it felt no bigger than the ATS-V or Camaro and right after I sat in a Lexus GS-F and liked it a thousand times better than the Caddy (just talking about the feel from the driver's seat, nothing else)

Very well explained. Never actually sat in a CTS,,, and from your input I know I would probably feel the same way you do. What you describe is the main reason I don't like the interior of the Challenger or Charger, (or the 300). It seems to be the prevalent design nowadays... and one of the reasons I bought my LS. The lower beltline and non-cockpit interior of the LS is preferrable to me also.

pic of an 05 CTS-V. Look at that center stack and how close the "visor" over the gauge cluster comes to the wheel. Claustrophobic compared to an LS.

00m0m_j6gIq0MzPKv_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_j6gIq0MzPKv_1200x900.jpg

I think the center "stack" in the LS is one of the cleanest looking designs in that era of sports/luxury sedans. The whole dash looks nice. Makes a nice feel from the driver's seat.

Members online

Back