Well, the electronic e-brake can be set at 50 mph...

moundtown

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my friend and I are driving on a back road on our way to get some wings, and all the sudden my car starts chirping at me and flashing "parking brake is set" in the driver info center. It was the first time my friend had been in my LS (2004 V8) and he was just fooling around with the center console and had no idea what he did. I can't blame him I guess, the last thing someone who doesn't own an LS would think a switch like that is for is an electronic parking brake...

I had always wondered if it could be set while moving (about 50 mph in this case), but that is no longer a mystery. I stopped the car pretty quick when I realized what he had done, and nothing really happened other than a slight hot brake smell. Think it hurt anything?

Did it actually stop the car? (or reasonably slow it down?)

Did it actually stop the car? (or reasonably slow it down?)

Not really, all I noticed was the chirping and the warning flashing on the dash. I stopped the car using the brake pedal pretty quick anyway.

Not really, all I noticed was the chirping and the warning flashing on the dash. I stopped the car using the brake pedal pretty quick anyway.

That's odd, I have actually tried to engage it while driving, mine will not do it at all....

It does work to slow down at approximately 20 MPH as I tried it once when I first bought the car. Do not know if there is an electronic cutout at higher speeds.

IIRC every time you pull on the e-brake switch for about three pulls it applies more pressure. Third pull being full brake pressure.

IIRC every time you pull on the e-brake switch for about three pulls it applies more pressure. Third pull being full brake pressure.

This is correct and the E-Brake can be full engaged at any speed by simply pulling up and holding the E-Brake switch. It acts just like the usual emergency brake it that way, whether it's a hand lever, foot pedal or electronic switch.

That's the whole point of an "Emergency" brake...... to lock up the rear wheels. Just don't do it on a wet or frozen road, or you will experience a wonderful 180 degree spin.

This is correct and the E-Brake can be full engaged at any speed by simply pulling up and holding the E-Brake switch. It acts just like the usual emergency brake it that way, whether it's a hand lever, foot pedal or electronic switch.

That's the whole point of an "Emergency" brake...... to lock up the rear wheels. Just don't do it on a wet or frozen road, or you will experience a wonderful 180 degree spin.

Sounds fun.

So this can actually be used as an ebrake? I always wondered. I figured it was just a parking break that disengaged when you step on the gas. Mainly because I can set it, stick the car in drive, and the electronic parking brake disengages. Useful to know if my brakes ever go out.

Members online

Back