Weird Noise?

cdixon

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres the deal. About two weeks ago we had our first cold snap and the first morning that it was cold I cranked my car as normal and noticed when I backed out that the power steering squeeled a little. I attributed this to the cold temps but since then everytime I crank my car it has this weird whining noise that drops as the rpms decrease to idle. It almost sounds like radio interference but it is a bone stock system. I checked the power steering fluid but it is fine. Does anyone know what it could be? I'm sure I've skipped over some details so I can fill you in more if you need.

You don't mention how many miles are on the car. But power steering pumps do wear out and fluid gets old and contaminated. There are shops (including dealerships) that can offer a complete flush of the power steering system that will get rid of that old, gummy, thick fluid. That may be worth a try. But don't be surprised if it's time for a new pump.

Oh yeah sorry about that. It is an 02 with just a shade over 38K original miles.

could have air in the ps lines to to clogged ps filter. there is a method to purge air from the system

beaups said:
could have air in the ps lines to to clogged ps filter. there is a method to purge air from the system

How do I do that?

very involved according to alldata. I would take to dealer. involves vacuum/suction pump, pulling cop fuse, etc.

beaups said:
very involved according to alldata. I would take to dealer. involves vacuum/suction pump, pulling cop fuse, etc.

Ok I'll do that. Especially since it's still under warranty. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back