Weird noise only in first under load

brooke

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 Lincoln ls v8 with approximately 165000 miles. Occasionally I have a dtc set p0401.i have a code reader,I just reset that when it comes in for now. I've got bigger fish to fry. When I take off in first it sounds like something may be catching on the drive shaft??I can almost feel it it seems under the center counsel. Note this is only when under slight load. If I mash on it it doesn't seem to do this. And only in first great either way. Any ideas?

Could be the center bearing...
How do I go about checking that? Suppose some what similar to checking say, your ball joints or wheel bearings? Obviously Jack it up and then see how much play is in the driveshaft, while it's in gear I assume?? Can you replace just the center bearing? Or have to get a whole new drive shaft?

First... you wouldn't want to have to pay for a new driveshaft... if they are even still available.

Joe is talking about the center driveshaft support. The LS has a 2 piece driveshaft... and the center support bearing is similar to a carrier bearing found on pickups that use a 2 piece driveshaft.

The center support bearing is over $200 alone... and is a PITA to change without proper tools... and experience.

The driveshaft doesn't have regular U-joints... but has rubber couplings at the front and rear... and uses metal inserts that have to be put back in the exact same spots for proper driveshaft alignment... otherwise you will have a driveline vibration and other issues.

Just to pull the driveshaft... you have to pull the rear half of the exhaust... the aluminum shield that covers the driveshaft tunnel... and mark the coupler and inserts for proper indexing... along with the shims that are at the center support bearing, (also for proper alignment.)

That being said... I don't think it is the center support... because you aren't complaining about a vibration at 45-50mph... which is more noticeable in colder weather.

I suggest looking under the vehicle and checking your transmission mount... to see if it is coming apart, (cracking, rubber deteriorating, cracked, etc.)

And since there are no U-joints... you won't get any play... because the 2 halves of the driveshaft are splined.

AND... If you like having your hands and fingers intact... NEVER try to do anything with a driveshaft rotating.

Sounds like maybe it would be best for you to take the vehicle to a repair shop... for proper diagnosis. That way you avoid personal injury.

Thank you for the info and concern. I do know about having to drop exhaust marking the couplers and all that jazz. I have all the right tools. I'm not worried about all that. I'm sure with an extra have from a buddy I could change the driveshaft myself. In my alldata there's nothing really stating anybody having an issue in their bulletins. Was wondering if anyone else has this issue before I started ripping into it to kind of have any experience for some advice with having the same noise.. Looks like I'll just have to rip into it. After I get the front upper and lower control arms changed. Thanks I will definitely look at the tranny supports also while under it!!

Well unless you have a bearing separator/puller... or have steady hands with a dremel and cutoff wheel... it's going to be a battle to get the bearing off the driveshaft.

You'll also need some sort of tool to hammer the bearing assembly back on the driveshaft without damaging it... and/or use a press.

The 2 halves of the driveshaft should be index marked also... because you will get a vibration if it's off a couple splines.

Well unless you have a bearing separator/puller... or have steady hands with a dremel and cutoff wheel... it's going to be a battle to get the bearing off the driveshaft.

You'll also need some sort of tool to hammer the bearing assembly back on the driveshaft without damaging it... and/or use a press.

The 2 halves of the driveshaft should be index marked also... because you will get a vibration if it's off a couple splines.
I do have a bearing puller actually!!! As far as print it back on I'll will fab up my own tool for that, I've good a good idea for one. And I love both my Dremels!!! Plenty of cut off wheels-did I mention I'm female, detail and concentration come easy to me on top of being a perfectionist in anything I do. Especially when it comes to my car!!! In all seriousness you have very expert advice and know what you're talking about. Glad you're on board the ls chat, I'm sure your knowledge has helped numerous people

When you go to pull the bearing off... everything but the inner sleeve that is friction fit, (pressed on), to the driveshaft will come off.

That's where the Dremel might come in handy. You might have to cut that inner sleeve along the length... about 3/4 of the depth. Then take a thick, (at the point), chisel... and split the sleeve so it slides off.

To drive the new bearing on... I just took a piece of high strength tube with 1.5" outside diameter, and 1-3/16" inside diameter... about 8" long... and drove the new bearing on.
IMG_20200624_212256061.jpg
IMG_20200624_212358423.jpg
IMG_20200624_212606131.jpg

And yes... by the "e" on the end of Brooke... I figured that you were most likely female... and it sounds like you might have an "A" type personality like me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back