Weird issues with warning lights

mrdougiefresh1

LVC Member
Reaction score
So this just started happening a few days ago. When I start my car, I usually get either a warning to check my tail lamps or my to service my parking brake or both messages. The thing is, both work properly and have no issues. I can usually get the tail lamp massage to go away by flashing on my lights real quick, but some times the parking brake warning wants to stay on. Any idea on what could cause this? I did recently do a brake job, but like I said, everything works fine. No weird noises or stuck calipers.

Wow, I'm a dumbass. +1 on checking connections. Positive terminal on main battery fell off. Car was running on the mini battery wired up to my subs

I guess thats at least better than running on no battery...

On a similar note when I start the car the right side dash warning display will chime while it cycles thru all the warning about doors closed lights etc. It takes a minute and usually stops if I hit status or fuel after I have traveled maybe a quarter to half mile. I did change the oil but the oil change shows 0% but when hitting the reset it will not go back to 100%. could this be causing it to chime for so long. Any ideas on how to fix it. My family thinks its amusing like a checkoff list for an aircraft

On a similar note when I start the car the right side dash warning display will chime while it cycles thru all the warning about doors closed lights etc. It takes a minute and usually stops if I hit status or fuel after I have traveled maybe a quarter to half mile. I did change the oil but the oil change shows 0% but when hitting the reset it will not go back to 100%. could this be causing it to chime for so long. Any ideas on how to fix it. My family thinks its amusing like a checkoff list for an aircraft

The procedure for resetting the warning is in the OM and posted here numerous places. Basically.....

CHANGE OIL SOON/OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. Displayed when the
engine oil life remaining is 5 percent or less. When oil life left is between
5% and 0%, the CHANGE OIL SOON message will be displayed. When oil
life left reaches 0%, the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message will be
displayed.
An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center.
USE ONLY RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
[approximately 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 180 days] perform the
following:
1. Press the STATUS control to
access the System Check function.
Press RESET to reset oil %.
Driver Controls

2. Press and hold the RESET
control to set to 100%.
3. After a successful reset, the
message center will display OIL
LIFE SET TO 100%.

If it's cycling through all of the indications, then your status button is probably stuck or shorted, so it thinks you pressed it as soon as you start the car.

I did try to reset the change oil soon but when I immediately try to push the reset and hold it it cycles to the next item ac filter change. Star power you might be right, I have a lead on the switches on E-bay.

The procedure for resetting the warning is in the OM and posted here numerous places. Basically.....

Not sure that's entirely right on the oil changer. I changed my oil last March, and have gone about 3000 miles since the change, and my oil change light started going off last week. I just reset it because it's not time to change yet, but there must be something more than miles and time to the oil minder.

If it's cycling through all of the indications, then your status button is probably stuck or shorted, so it thinks you pressed it as soon as you start the car.

I agree... Take the center vent section out and check your connections to the button cluster... if it keeps doing it you may need to replace the cluster...

Hold on, hold on, the OP is not doing it correctly, nothing wrong with the cluster buttons, I'm sure of it.

Basically, keep pressing STATUS in single click until you make your way back around to OIL %
-quickly press RESET (let go of button)
-then press and "hold" RESET ... for 100%

same with your Cabin Filter aka. AC Filter %

^ to the above post related to brake lamp warning, I myself once had a warning for a brake lamp out, yet it was fine.
in the end, the bulb was serving it dual function but a filament was indeed touching another internally.
- Changed two fresh bulbs problem gone. Always change bulbs in pairs despite other still working.

Hold on, hold on, the OP is not doing it correctly, nothing wrong with the cluster buttons, I'm sure of it.

Basically, keep pressing STATUS in single click until you make your way back around to OIL %
-quickly press RESET (let go of button)
-then press and "hold" RESET ... for 100%

same with your Cabin Filter aka. AC Filter %

^ to the above post related to brake lamp warning, I myself once had a warning for a brake lamp out, yet it was fine.
in the end, the bulb was serving it dual function but a filament was indeed touching another internally.
- Changed two fresh bulbs problem gone. Always change bulbs in pairs despite other still working.
He said it cycles through all the stauses as soon as he turns the car on though without pushing the button then when he gets it back to oil before he can push reset it cycles to air filter and so on by itself... which isnt normal so thats why we said it was possibly the button...

When you turn the LS over/on, it automatically begins to cycle through the on board pre checklist.
One can override that by pushing RESET or FUEL while the doors are closed ... or let it finish
and then begin to push STATUS once per item until he gets to OIL %

Did he say it never stops and continues to cycles forever and ever? Missed that somewhere.
It can still be stopped once it reached OIL %, just hit RESET once, then hold RESET in until it shows 100%

would be different if the message center buttons are crashed in stuck and not responding but I don't think that's the problem. (i'm not there, can't see) Usually only the FUEL side of the buttons are crashed inwards because of the more than normal usage compared to the other buttons, causes the plastic post in behind to break, needs glueing from the back side.

EDIT: Correction.

dj_jace is correct, it only actually begins to cycle when STATUS is pressed once.
does not in fact begin an auto cycle on start up.

When you turn the LS over/on, it automatically begins to cycle through the on board pre checklist.
One can override that by pushing RESET or FUEL while the doors are closed ... or let it finish
and then begin to push STATUS once per item until he gets to OIL %

Did he say it never stops and continues to cycles forever and ever? Missed that somewhere.
It can still be stopped once it reached OIL %, just hit RESET once, then hold RESET in until it shows 100%

would be different if the message center buttons are crashed in stuck and not responding but I don't think the problem.
Mine doesnt do that... when I start the car it just goes to the miles to empty... it will cycle through if I push the status button but not by starting the car... dont know if that is a gen 1 gen 2 difference or not...

@ shake the cove

* doesn't matter if it's doing it's first start-up pre check cycling,
you can override that by continuously pressing/clicking STATUS until you get back to OIL %

- keep pushing STATUS button, single clicks per item.
- when it gets to OIL %, push RESET immediately once. (push and let go)
- then push and hold RESET until it shows it changed to 100% (couple seconds)

done.

Try that for me please?

does it keep cycling through the messages no matter what, all the time, never stops ?

Mine doesnt do that... when I start the car it just goes to the miles to empty... it will cycle through if I push the status button but not by starting the car... dont know if that is a gen 1 gen 2 difference or not...

Huh, hmmm (sorry I get confused often, comes with old age)
I'm off to the garage with FOB in hand.

~ let me check on this.

EDIT: Mine goes to TRUNK LID AJAR and stays there because I have my trunk off.

I do believe you are correct. It doesn't actually cycle unless you push STATUS.
though for sure it did a single loop of pre check as it was started.

OK, good point, if it keeps cycling it'll need to be removed and looked at as you already suggested.

my bad!

Huh, hmmm (sorry I get confused often, comes with old age)
I'm off to the garage with FOB in hand.

~ let me check on this.
Lol... no worries. I went and started mine twice just to make sure I wasnt crazy and missing it.. [emoji12]

It's my meds, limited surplus this year!
jumpy.gif
have to cut pills in half these days!

Members online

No members online now.
Back