Weird Happenings???

Fatmac

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I stopped and got gas this AM and when I switched off the car I noticed that the radio was still on. Normally it goes off when I turn the key off. Anyway got the gas and pulled up to the store got out and locked it. Came back out and I couldn't get back in. Tried the fob, no luck, tried the code, no luck. I had the sunroof open just a bit so I got a long stick and pushed the door lock button
and it would only lock and not unlock. So to say this has got me a little confused, which isn't to hard. Any Ideas guys?
Thanks to all
Jack
95 MK VIII
277,500 miles

I stopped and got gas this AM and when I switched off the car I noticed that the radio was still on. Normally it goes off when I turn the key off. Anyway got the gas and pulled up to the store got out and locked it. Came back out and I couldn't get back in. Tried the fob, no luck, tried the code, no luck. I had the sunroof open just a bit so I got a long stick and pushed the door lock button
and it would only lock and not unlock. So to say this has got me a little confused, which isn't to hard. Any Ideas guys?
Thanks to all
Jack
95 MK VIII
277,500 miles

Jack,
Check for something in your lighters IE a GPS (TomTom), radar, if there is a steady draw on the system the Auto security will shut down the electric to the keypad and entry system.. ATLEAST this has happened to me several times,

When you turn off the car, and remove the keys, the radio will stay on until the car door is opened or the interior light turns on, if your out of the car, and the doors are locked, you lift on the handle, the interior lights should illuminate. Also your ignition key should open the drivers door. should be the same key. the only differnce is the trunk, glovebox, and trunk release on the door. they should all be keyd the same.

Good luck.
Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill, Well that is part of the problem I think. When I first got the car a couple of years ago, It all worked in that fashion. Till one day on my way to work I went over a rough piece of road and my interior lights came on and wouldn't go off. I pulled the # 15 fuse to fix that problem but that also disabled the door locks, seats, keypad and the like. So what I did then, maybe not the smartest thing, was to put the fuse back in and I pulled all of the interior lights. That was about 6 mo ago. It work fairly well I could lock the car and unlock it using the keypad, but the radio would still go off when I turned the car off? It seems that what ever caused the first problem has finally totally failed, but what I don't know.
Jack

The same stuff with the interior lights happened in my 98. I had a wire in the door that had chaffed and melted to another wire. I had to cut out part of the inner door to fix it.

spray your door latch,

were you getting door ajar message a few years back when you hit the rough road ?

spray your door latch,

were you getting door ajar message a few years back when you hit the rough road ?

damn, my next Question...

I was thinking it was not sensing the door was closed and kept the lights on....

When I hit the rough patch. My door wasn't a jar but I did tried spraying the latch, it just closed better. On another note when I bought the car the drivers door was hard to close for about a year till I changed out the hinge pin. Now it's like a new door. No telling how long it was like that. It is possible that I do have a short somewhere in the door from all of the slamming. I have looked once but didn't see anything. Which module would control all of this? BTW I'm running any extra stuff, it's all stock.
Thanks
Jack

Jack,
We weren't asking if your door was open when you hit the rough patch, we were asking you if the message on the center display showed "Door Ajar" AFTER you had hit the rough patch.. this could indicate whether or not it had to do with the hard impact. behind the door striker catch in the door, there is a plastic sensor that detects if the door is latched closed or open.. this sensor STICKS. if you liberaly spray it down with WD40, it usually free's itself up and the message goes away. If you do not have the message on your display then disreguard this... we will have to further investigate other options, such as a faulty Keyless entry module.. its possible that this has given up the ghost.

GL,
Bill

Sorry Bill that was my sorry attempt at humor. No I didn't get the door ajar message, that is what was strange.

Sounds like the Keyless entry module went T!tts up!
Look on ebay there were quite a few on there or Ask Jammie AKA.. BAD97LSC. he's probably got a few lying around.

Members online

No members online now.
Back