Weird Alternator?!?

unityerased

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, had a new alternator put on a few weeks ago. Bought it at Advanced Auto Zone. Battery loses half its juice after about a week, so ya know the alternator isn't doing its job. Had it tested today, only putting out 67amps instead of 120. Going to try another one now, but after advanced tested it outside of the car, that same alternator tested out good. Any suggestions?

Could be bad battery terminals, or loose connections. Did you replace the battery when you changed the alternator, or atleast give it a good charge? I had the same problem with an Autozone alternator, my car died on the road 2 weeks after I bought a new one. They did their little test on it after figuring out the machine and said it was fine. Well, I was not walking out of there with the same alternator. Finally got them to give me a new one (Lifetime warranty) and haven't had a problem since, which was about a year and a half ago.

Did you get it at Advanced Auto or Autozone?

Ok, let me say this for those of you that have not seen it yet......DO NOT purchase an alternator from Auto Zone.......spend the extra cash and order one from Max at 5 Star Ford. Most rebuilt alternators out there for some reason are not rebuilt correctly and they end up failing in a VERY short period of time. I know of one guy that has had 10 Auto BonMe alternators in his car in LESS than a year. So, spend the cash and order a new one.....will save you in the long run.:shifty:

they replaced it with another one. we will see how this works out. I have read to get the newer mustang cobra alternator, as it has more output voltage. Any links to what to switch to if i must?

The 96-98 Mark VIII have the 130amp alternator just like the 96-98 Cobra... The 93-95 Mark VIII alternator is a 120amp Mitisibishi unit.

(sorry for the hi-jack)

Will one of these alts mount up to my 87 5.0? I'm looking for an alt that'll put out more than 60 amps...:D

mespock said:
Do Not Buy From
Autozone!!!

It's an only if in case of Emergency!!
And you Can't go anywhere else!!

Crap for parts
And Idiots for employees!!!

very well said and 100% true!!!

:iconcur:

Went through 4 radiators for my TC before I got one that didnt leak. Was stuck and had to get an alt once - as soon as I got home I yanked it out put in a new one and took back the Autocrap alt and got my money back - boy they dont like to do that but they will.

i agree with the autozone statements, i had 3 in 5 months from that crappy place and the issue still went unresolved after i sadly totalled my mark 2 weeks ago. still kicking myself over it only had 64k and was my baby

i had a cust come in with a 94 f-150 that needed a p.s. pump i put in a auto grone pump (he brought his in his own) it lasted 5 min on the road so he returned it and got a new one and it quickly failed also it took me doing the job four times with crappy auto grone parts before he just bought a ford one from us and its still workin fine 2 years later just all his other auto grone parts are crapping out one by one. just rember you get what you pay for

Don't rely on that little alternator "dyno" or machine or whatever that they have. The machine that's at all AutoZone's and Advance Auto parts ONLY, I mean ONLY measure how many amps the alternator is putting out, NOT voltage. An alternator can be putting out the correct amperage but not voltage, and with correct amperage and low voltage, the alternator is useless. I learned this after going through about 4 alternators for my truck.

Members online

Back