weather striping replacement ??? anyone know a vendor???

p38wannabe

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the weather striping on both doors ... after 19 years they decided to leak water, can somebody point me to vendor were I could purchase them ??? or is a parts car / junk yard my only option ???

thanks in advance

nope, I am talking about the rubber attached to the top of the car body - the door openings - the doors itself are still ok.

p38wannabe said:
nope, I am talking about the rubber attached to the top of the car body - the door openings - the doors itself are still ok.

The rubber that goes between the door and the car?

yes, it goes all around the opening of the door, attached to the body not the door itself.

Door Seal versus window seals

p38wannabe said:
yes, it goes all around the opening of the door, attached to the body not the door itself.

Wannabe,

When looking for replacement seals, you are seeking the following items:

1. Around parameter of door, or door opening, is the door seal.

2. Around the window is the window seal.

3. The strip at the bottom of the window opening that the glass slides through on its trip up and down is the dew drip seal.

I've been restoring cars with brothers and dad since I was a little girl. It was my dad's way to interact with us kids. He called it Chevy bonding. He's inside joke. Anyway, they did the engine and electrical, I did what they called the foo foo stuff -- upholstery, carpeting, dash restoration, etc.

My Lincoln Mark VII is my first foray in to a Ford project. But I have done Chevrolet cars -- 1965 Chevelle, 1968 Impala, 1960 Corvair, 1958 Chevy pickup; 1968 VW Beatle; 1960 Renault 4CV.

One thing that is an absolute given is that aftermarket weather seals are never going to be a perfect fit. Some manufacturers are better than others. Try doing a google search and find the companies that will have you send them a cutting of your seal to get as close a match as possible.

Be leary of companies that tell you one size fits all.

Trying seaching eBay and the web for the guys that go around buying unused parts from dealers and parts stores. They will have OEM. But don't hold your breath.

Lastly, ascertain the return policy before buying; save the box and packaging it came in for returning, and remember, good enough is not good enough when it comes to seals.

1986_MarkVII said:
Wannabe,

When looking for replacement seals, you are seeking the following items:

1. Around parameter of door, or door opening, is the door seal.

2. Around the window is the window seal.

3. The strip at the bottom of the window opening that the glass slides through on its trip up and down is the dew drip seal.

I've been restoring cars with brothers and dad since I was a little girl. It was my dad's way to interact with us kids. He called it Chevy bonding. He's inside joke. Anyway, they did the engine and electrical, I did what they called the foo foo stuff -- upholstery, carpeting, dash restoration, etc.

My Lincoln Mark VII is my first foray in to a Ford project. But I have done Chevrolet cars -- 1965 Chevelle, 1968 Impala, 1960 Corvair, 1958 Chevy pickup; 1968 VW Beatle; 1960 Renault 4CV.

One thing that is an absolute given is that aftermarket weather seals are never going to be a perfect fit. Some manufacturers are better than others. Try doing a google search and find the companies that will have you send them a cutting of your seal to get as close a match as possible.

Be leary of companies that tell you one size fits all.

Trying seaching eBay and the web for the guys that go around buying unused parts from dealers and parts stores. They will have OEM. But don't hold your breath.

Lastly, ascertain the return policy before buying; save the box and packaging it came in for returning, and remember, good enough is not good enough when it comes to seals.

thanks for the input, I looked on ebay but as you said, chances are slim, I also googeled as well not wit much results, just is not a very popular car it seems. I came up with my own "german engeneering" to fix he problem, will just take a trip to home depot ... :D ...

My car will spend the next 2 weeks in the shop getting the tired old 302 rebuild and spiffed up a little ... can you say bore to 306 and performance cam shaft ... maybe I will be able to find something OEM in the mean time, otherwise, home depot it is ...

p38wannabe said:
thanks for the input, I looked on ebay but as you said, chances are slim, I also googeled as well not wit much results, just is not a very popular car it seems. I came up with my own "german engeneering" to fix he problem, will just take a trip to home depot ... :D ...

My car will spend the next 2 weeks in the shop getting the tired old 302 rebuild and spiffed up a little ... can you say bore to 306 and performance cam shaft ... maybe I will be able to find something OEM in the mean time, otherwise, home depot it is ...

Please be aware that an aftermarket cam will most likely disagree with the Speed Density computer. You will have to either change to MAF, get a chip custom burned, or go with something like a twEECer.

I am planning on going with the E303 cam from ford racing, I have been told that I should not have any problems - do you know specific details about this cam? I looked into converting to MAF but seems to be a "bear" so I rather avoid it if I can.

p38wannabe said:
I am planning on going with the E303 cam from ford racing, I have been told that I should not have any problems - do you know specific details about this cam? I looked into converting to MAF but seems to be a "bear" so I rather avoid it if I can.
Well, i guess we're a bit off of the weatherstripping topic...lol.
But I think I've have heard this as well. E303 might work okay...only one way to find out. Going to mass air is not hard at all...tons of articles on that if you search.

On the weatherstripping...be sure that you know the exact type you need..I forget what it's called. But a 1 size fits all should actually be okay for that door stuff..esp if it's all that's available. JC Whitney has some picture cross-sections. Pick it out from there.
Another option is a junk yard. That rubber usually stays in decent shape. It's the window scrapers that turn to concrete.

hi
i have access to door/trunk seals/window wipers for marks if interested
thanks

p38wannabe said:
please contact me at mario@airlegel.com

Are they new or used?

thanks
Bobby's seals and dew wipes are new and fit just like factory peices with the clips and all.
I bought some. It's First class weatherstripping!

I've just located this site while I was trying to find outer beltline weatherstripping (between door and glass on outside). I've contacted several manufacturers (Sofseal, Steele, Fairchild), and none have it. Someone suggested NOS was the only way.
Does anybody know of a source for this? I have an 89 LSC, but it should of stayed the same throughout the run I would suspect. Thanks, Markymark7

Members online

No members online now.
Back