Weak Throttle Body?

crookshanks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of a weak throttle body? I am having trouble of when I start the car it almost dies but then goes up to normal idle speed. If I adjust the idle screw, it helps some. It especially does this if I start with the AC on. My mechanic says weak throttle body, and looking at ebay, it doesn't seem to expensive, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

a 'weak' throttle body.. hmmm sounds like either your misunderstanding or misinterpreting what the mechanic said. all the throttle body is is where there throttle plate(s) live, and they open/close under control of your right foot.

what is probably meant is a failing IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. pretty common, and also pretty inexpensive. that is what controls the idle speed (well, the computer tells it how far to open) to bleed air past the closed throttle plates.

An IAC solenoid in Saskatoon from Ford was $219.00 CN - the price you quoted is very low and now I am sad ...

Regards,
Brad.

the difference in price is partly due to the difference in the dollar value (US vs Canadian). I bet some is also due to the brand of the part. the OEM (motorcraft) is likely to be more expensive than a 3rd party replacement (wells, (stay away from), and others).

Members online

No members online now.
Back