wax buffing

mcafferty

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i want to make my car shine. what do you guys use? do you use a buffer or do it by hand? i want it to look like glass when i am done. any help would be great.

The best wax I've ever used is called liquid glass. It cost more and it takes a little more time to do it right, but it will look great. You have to use the pre-cleaner and the polish for the best result. I've been doing mine by hand lately, because my girlfriends dad has permenetly barrowed my buffer. I used maguires the last time and it came out pretty nice.

i have used miguires but would like something with even more shine i will try the liquid glass. what is the polish called is it a three step thing. ever since i got my ls i cant stop waxing it. lol any other thoughts? thanks much

mcafferty said:
i have used miguires but would like something with even more shine i will try the liquid glass. what is the polish called is it a three step thing. ever since i got my ls i cant stop waxing it. lol any other thoughts? thanks much

I think it's a two step process. The polish is just called liquid glass, it's basiclly a liquid wax. It's in a gold colored metal rectangular container with I think a red top. I'm pretty sure you can find it at most auto parts stores.

Do you have any pics of the car, or are you gonna wait to get it waxed?

mcafferty said:
i want to make my car shine. what do you guys use? do you use a buffer or do it by hand? i want it to look like glass when i am done. any help would be great.
I've used different wax's, polishes and cleaners over the years but for the money and effort I use Mequiar's products. They have a wide range of products for anything you need. I'd recommend looking Mequiar's Forum for tips and tricks for certain items they sell. Go here for the forum:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

Definitely check out the before and after section. They turn some bad looking cars into show winners.

Hands down the best wax I have used is Griots Garage Best of Show Wax. This company knows a thing or two about detailing cars. I use all there products on my entrie fleet of cars. Here is there website www.griotsgarage.com.

For older cars they recomend:
wash
rinse
clay bar w/ speed shine
hand polish1,2,or 3
remove all polish
wax w/ best in show wax

Good luck!

-Scott-

Anyone ever hear of Zaino???? Hands down the best stuff I've ever seen/used. Incredible shine, VERY long life (think 3-6 months in TX summer), and it layers to fill in fine surface scratches. The more layers, the deeper and more glass like the shine is.

www.zainostore.com

ive been so disappointed with meguiars wax i waxed my last car before i sold it and it looked good but it seemed like a week later my car was back to its old dull look i wanna try somethig else but im too lazy

stateproperty3423 said:
ive been so disappointed with meguiars wax i waxed my last car before i sold it and it looked good but it seemed like a week later my car was back to its old dull look i wanna try somethig else but im too lazy

Trust me try www.griotsgarage.com 's Best in Show Wax its $20 but believe me well worth the money. If your paint is rough you might want to also buy their Clay Bar and Speed shine and do that before you wax it. It will restore your LS to its former look. If I use it on a 67 XKE Jaguar its defently good enough for my LS. Here take a look http://www.ohioconcours.com/Photo Galleries/CS/pages/IMG_3367.htm. Good luck!

-Scott- :soapbox:

I've using wolfgang soveraun wax and love it along with pinnacle paint sealant and pre cleaner, its a 3 step process but waxed 2 months ago and i can wash my car and drive 75 mph for 2 miles and no water spots STILL!!!! Water still runs off and i guess i probably washed 10 times in the past 2 months, eventhough the car is garaged day and night and i don't drive it but on weekends i still wash it when i get the chance, gotta keep clean, lol.. you know what i mean.. lol.. think for the the 3 was about 100 dollars The soveraun was alone was 75 bucks, but the paint will always look wet!! pretty cool stuff, the car looks like it gets detailed every week a few people thought but the wax is just that good i guess, i am definately not dissappointed in the investment.. Just a nickels worth i guess.. lol

Fastbird said:
Anyone ever hear of Zaino???? Hands down the best stuff I've ever seen/used. Incredible shine, VERY long life (think 3-6 months in TX summer), and it layers to fill in fine surface scratches. The more layers, the deeper and more glass like the shine is.

www.zainostore.com

Best stuff i've ever used. You get a glass like deep mirror reflection, and the wax will last through alot of rain storms wont wash off easily like most. Give it a try, if you dont like it i'll buy the left over product off you.

dc

mcafferty said:
thanks guys you did not help much you all like diff stuff...lol

I plan on using zaino on mine for the first time this weekend, so i will post some pics after this weekend. Lets all post pics and see which one has the most shine/bling after a wax job...........

dc

As some of you already know, i detail cars for a living and the best products i use are ones off the supply truck. When i first got my car, i detailed it up. Here is the process that i used to make my paint better than new.

1. Wash the car and degrease the wheels, tires, wheel wells.
2. Dry the jams (with a towel) and the car (with a chamois).
3. Use 3M-adhesive cleaner to remove any tar.
4. Use clay bar and water and do entire body.
5. Apply armor-all to tires, wheel wells, lower black trim
6. Use high-speed buffer with 3M Machine Polish over entire car using foam pad (wool pad for light colors......foam for dark).
7. Use 3M Hand Glaze over entire car going one panel at a time in horizontal motion and remove with microfiber towel turning towel over often.
8. Use a damp applicator pad and a paste wax (carnuba) and wax entire car going in either horizontal or circular motions. Contrary to what people think, waxing in circular motions will NOT give you swirl marks unless you use a hard wax like turtle wax.
9. Clean windows with glass cleaner and steel wool and two towels. One towel is for wet and the other for dry(not windex).
10.. Remove wax with microfiber towel turning often.
11. Wipe excess armor-all of wheels and rocker panels.
12. And you've got the best looking paint on the block.

LIST OF PRODCUTS
3M Machine Glaze
3M Hand Glaze
Yellow wax (carnuba based)
Microfiber towels
Kleensall
Suds-X soap

Now im not saying someone can't do a good job in the driveway with a good wax or multi-stage product......but to really put some "pop" in your paint, a good buff job will really set it off. Also, I can't say enough about clay bar and 3M Hand Glaze. If you wanted to skip the high-speed buffer, you're next best bet is to claybar the paint, hand glaze it, then wax it. You'll be amazed!

ohioLS said:
Trust me try www.griotsgarage.com 's Best in Show Wax its $20 but believe me well worth the money. If your paint is rough you might want to also buy their Clay Bar and Speed shine and do that before you wax it. It will restore your LS to its former look. If I use it on a 67 XKE Jaguar its defently good enough for my LS. Here take a look http://www.ohioconcours.com/Photo Galleries/CS/pages/IMG_3367.htm. Good luck!

-Scott- :soapbox:
Griots is a great product.........a sales lady only lets us use it on her new Audi deliveries. But, to be honest with you, it is a lot like 3M handglaze.........smells nearly identical and has the same consistency. Good stuff either way.

i think we need a wax off lets see those pic after this weekend to see who has the be shine...lol

DLS8K said:
but to really put some "pop" in your paint, a good buff job will really set it off. Also, I can't say enough about clay bar and 3M Hand Glaze. If you wanted to skip the high-speed buffer, you're next best bet is to claybar the paint, hand glaze it, then wax it. You'll be amazed!

I 100% agree about the buffing. That REALLY helps set it off, especially considering that if you've got some swirling or surface scratches you can possible eleminate those. Downside though is you only have so much clearcoat on the car.

I used to SWEAR by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Problem back then was that I wasn't aware that it's only a polish, and needs a wax applied over it. I always wondered why it never seemed to last.

The thing that I like about Zaino is that it's NOT a wax. It's a sealant. I'm probably going to start a big debate here about "paint breathing" but so be it. I just don't see the need, and the end results with Zaino have proven to be long lasting and protection of the paint with no ill effects.

Well just in case your interested heres a link to a place where i buy my stuff, pretty much can get anything that has to do with car detailing and such. They ship fast good prices and are pretty reputable. http://www.autogeek.net/

Here is my Lincoln..........freshly waxed (i detailed it two months ago, but with regular waxing, i have kept it looking new). Sorry if the picture is small........my digital camera phone is one the fritz.

lincolnroad.jpg

Members online

Back