Water pooling at top of trunk in my 93 TC

misery

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I'm assuming this is a known issue, but I wanted to see if anyone else experienced it or had any luck finding a fix for it.

When ever I park my TC on a slight downslope (front end facing downward) when it rains water will pool at the top of the trunk and eventually leave a big pool of water in the trunk. Only way I can prevent this from happening is to park uphill facing.

Is there a fix for this? Has anyone had any success drilling their own water drain holes at the top of the trunk?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks

Drill a hole? You're kidding right?

Sounds like your luggage compartment door weatherstrip has been compromised (base P/N 43720) list price $109.38, but according to Tasca, the part has been discontinued. Looks like a junque yard trip is in your future, if that is the problem and I don't know what else it would be, there is only one component that keeps water out of the luggage compartment, unless the rear window seal is leaking. I'm not sure if a leak there would go into the luggage compartment.

Perhaps you should get in the luggage compartment with a flashlight while parked downhill and have someone you trust :rolleyes: run some water over the deck lid and see where the leak is instead of just guessing.

Must have just been a drive-by. 5 days and he hasn't even bothered to check if there were any answers. Either that or he is parking uphill and/or it's not raining. Geeez !

Must have just been a drive-by. 5 days and he hasn't even bothered to check if there were any answers. Either that or he is parking uphill and/or it's not raining. Geeez !

Lol. Well I looked at the weather stripping and it all looks good. When I park on even ground it does not leak. I tried parking on level ground and spraying the whole trunk area with a hose and had no leaking.

When parked downhill where exactly is the water supposed to run off? It just seems to all build up at the top corners of the trunk then eventually overflows into the trunk.

I wouldn't really drill a hole lol :). For now, I am just parking up hill all the time, since my apartment parking is not level.

Lol. Well I looked at the weather stripping and it all looks good. When I park on even ground it does not leak. I tried parking on level ground and spraying the whole trunk area with a hose and had no leaking.

Well if it doesn't leak on level ground when it rains, why would it possibly leak when you ran a hose on it?

bush-dumb-look-scratching-head_zps810f5e46.jpg~original

Don't you think it would make more sense if you checked it in the same position that it leaks, i.e. downhill?

When parked downhill where exactly is the water supposed to run off? It just seems to all build up at the top corners of the trunk then eventually overflows into the trunk.

It won't run off, it's called gravity and there is only one path it can take into the trunk, unless you drilled a hole. :D

duh-duh1233387823_zps496c629e.jpg~original

I wouldn't really drill a hole lol :). For now, I am just parking up hill all the time, since my apartment parking is not level.

I guess I was partially correct.

I think you had better reread my post again about getting in the trunk and testing it with the car parked downhill. I would bet the farm your weatherstrip is fubar.

Good luck.

Any update?
I don't think with your described problem its the trunk seal.

I bought a new 96 town car that also has a leek into the trunk.
I traced it to the molding that is next to the rear windshield and goes up onto the roof.
I haven't had time to rip out the interior to flux it yet though.

Good luck getting an answer. He hasn't logged on in almost 5 months.

Have not really had any time to look into it, been too busy with a new job.

Relax no0c :)

Hi,

I realize this topic is a few months old, but I thought I'd offer my own experience with the same problem. My trunk occasionally pools water when parked downhill, enough that I ended up removing the plastic plug in the base so it would run out rather than stagnate and rust the trunk floor. I can't really figure out where it gets in, but my thoughts are that it's likely because there's a very small amount of play between the trunk lid and the latch when the trunk is closed. If I press down on the lid when closed you can feel that it's not 100% as tight in the latch as it could be.

Does your auto-down trunk close thing-y still work?

Mine doesn't but the motor is still there disconnected. When these start to fail it's common to adjust the latch to the set height so that it grips the lid enough to close and then disconnect the motor in that position. It's essentially a manually closing truck then. You just slam the lid down as you would with any other car. This is obviously what's been done with mine by a previous owner, but I think the latch should have been adjusted down a fraction more to grip the lid a little tighter. So what's happening is that when water pools in the back corners of the truck (outside) the rubber seal that should be sealing tight with the trunk lid closed, has just enough slack so that water can seep between the rubber and the lid. I hope that makes sense.

When it gets warmer I plan to place something heavy (sandbag maybe?) on the closed lid to force it down into the latch as far as it will sit, and then spray the car and see if anything runs into the trunk. I suspect that the lid being seated lower in the latch will force the rubber around the trunk to seal a little tighter and not allow any water inside. If that plan works then I guess I'll just need to adjust the latch I have or replace the power-down motor as should have been done originally.

Just a theory...

I'm pretty sure that is the problem, AC75. After inspecting the trunk a little, it does look a little off when I close it.

The automatic motor is still in place and works.

I'll have to look into it more and see if there is something I can do.

I hope you manage to fix it. I know how annoying it is. If you haven't pulled the plugs in the trunk floor, you might want to if you're still getting any water in there. The plugs are just under the carpet to the back of the trunk floor and they pop out with just a little effort.

Members online

No members online now.
Back