water leak

MarkOfDeath

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I getting waterinn my car from some were after it rains, Its mostly in the back passenger side and alittle in the front, but only on the passenger side, any one got some idea to what this is

i diagnose water leaks all the time i sugest looking at the sun roof drains like 02lse96lsc..... said if not there check the trunk where your spair tire is, if it is full of water it is leaking in the trunk and running into the car just pull all the trim away from the suspect area and have someone run water over the car and see ive seen everything leak from windshields to cowl panels(under the wipers, common on taurus's it will fill the heater box and eventually leak through the blower motor) so ive seen it all and no two are the same so just hunt it down anyway you can

I had a similar problem with leaking. Mine turned out to be under the passenger side cowl. There is an intake vent right there I believe for the HVAC system. It's supposed to have a good foam weather tight seal around it to seal perfectly to the cowl. Well, the foam on mine was completely deteriorated. Pulled that old stuff off, and put new "foam tape" on, and it seems to be sealed up (knock on wood)...

i have water on the front passenger floor and behind the drivers seat and i cannot for the life of me figure out why.

that cowl sounds like it could be the problem - do you have a picture?

If I had a leak in my car, I'd never know it since it never rains in Phoenix. :)

Sorry 67, no pics. But it's pretty obvious once you pull off the passenger side cowl. All you have to do is unscrew like 4 screws and remove the wiper. When you do you'll see a big vent looking up at you.

i will check it out, thanks for the lead - it would explain why i found water in my pass. kick panel when i installed my module 8!

As far as water on the floor I know that on my Mark there are a few holes in the floor where rubber plugs should be but have fallen out, when it rains water gets sprayed up into them. I think there is only one, but I guess I will find out when I pull the carped all the way up... Might want to pull yours up and check it out.

O.K. water in the passenger floor enough to run into the back or back to front....?????.... I have sealed the front cowl checked the moon roof drains..all seems to be fine.........is there a drain hose in the heater/ac duct that could be plugged??
Leon

spellbounds said:
O.K. water in the passenger floor enough to run into the back or back to front....?????.... I have sealed the front cowl checked the moon roof drains..all seems to be fine.........is there a drain hose in the heater/ac duct that could be plugged??
Leon

is the floor wet only when the ac is on? how much water you got?

Not the a/c definitley from rain getting in somewhere, checked the roof drains today ran fine sealed the cowl last week put a new strip of wheatherstrip foam above the cowl vent... now ??????????????? that is why I was wondering about the drain hose in the heater, ????????

standing water, the whole side, I think I'll check the door weatherstrip......maybe that is following down around the front pillar.....

Good idea on the weatherstrip. The easiest way I have found is to pull the rocker panel trim at the bottom of the door and ease the weatherstip up at the front and rear edges. If that is where it's coming in, then it will be obvious.

Like Chickenviii said, 'just hunt it down anyway you can'! You're going to have to pull everything on the passenger side to dry it anyway. Take all the trim out of the way and the seat out, you'll also need to pick the carpet up to dry or replace the jute. While all that is out of the way, get in with a good flashlight and have somebody spray the car like rain so you can find where it coming in. No fair spraying straight into the window seal or past the water deflectors in the cowl, that defeats the test! Then you can trace it to the outside and stop it.

Found IT!!!!!!!!!!!! The ol' brain finally kicked in,, changed the drivers side a couple of years ago.. Should have changed both sides tried to get one through ford today......Discontinued...This should be fun to try to find a new one..... least I know where the problem is.. it's out of the weather now so I have a little time to try to find one?????????????? Ebay's out, nothing on there

spellbounds said:
Found IT!!!!!!!!!!!! The ol' brain finally kicked in,, changed the drivers side a couple of years ago.. Should have changed both sides tried to get one through ford today......Discontinued...This should be fun to try to find a new one..... least I know where the problem is.. it's out of the weather now so I have a little time to try to find one?????????????? Ebay's out, nothing on there

Bummer! Any way you can save the old w/strip by resealing with something like free-flowing butyl? Is there a different model/year that would match? If memory serves, they only carry parts for ten years after production. I'm not fimiliar with the '96 Mark Vlll, so I'm just throwing out suggestions.

funny story..

i once took an air hose to unclog my sunroof drains.. and out popped a condom wrapper!!.. how that got in there i'll never know

Yep have to try the sealer can't find the weatherstrip anywhere 96 was the last of the first gen.. I'll let cha know how it works...

devilchild said:
funny story..

i once took an air hose to unclog my sunroof drains.. and out popped a condom wrapper!!.. how that got in there i'll never know

mite wanna stay away from that back seat...

kinda makes you wonder what the previous owner did in that car. sorry man. might wanna take it someplace to be well cleaned...lol.

spellbounds said:
Yep have to try the sealer can't find the weatherstrip anywhere 96 was the last of the first gen.. I'll let cha know how it works...

Check with your local glass company for advise on what to use. I heard that plain silicone is corrosive and weatherstrip adhesive is not a sealer. Some adhesives are so good at what they do it’s imposable to remove the weatherstip again if you need too. Last stuff I used was ‘Seal All’ and it seemed to work ok.

Can someone tell me where the sunroof drains are located? Would this cause water to leak into the trunk by the spare tire? I have a little puddle there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back