Water leak in trunk

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys. It's been a while since my last post. Which is good thing as I didn't have any drama in between.

BUT! Here is my question. we recently and still kinda having lots of rain. it's not as bad as what we had last few weeks, but raining a lot lately. With it, I been having some water leak all over my LS. some is at usual location and some just got me puzzled. This one is one of those.

Been having water leak in the left side of the trunk. The clear plastic container always get water inside and around the container is wet. I've checked the trunk area right above it and at this point, I do not see any hole or rotted area. I know the hose runs behind the left cover but that does not explain the water in the container. BTW, I did check the hose which runs inside that cover and did not seems to leak, but I haven't check the entire length. Just where I can see, so maybe the leak is at the top or near it? Weatherstrip seems to be in good condition without any tear or hole.

Where could it come from?

20230304_174022.jpg

Empty out the trunk and get inside it with a flashlight. Close the lid and have someone hose it down everywhere outside till you see the water start coming in.

Yes that is the best way! Many possible leak points and be sure and check the tail lights.

Thanks guys. I thought there may be somewhere I missed, but guess I'll have to craw inside the trunk.

Another weekend project.

Leaving the drain plug out has worked many years for me how it makes a difference I don’t know, all I know is plug out trunk bone dry, plug in trunk a swimming pool. it might and it might not work for you but it work for me for some odd reason.

I have the same thing. My driveway is super slanted & if I park nose down (forward) my trunk will fill because the water pools up in the corners & drips underneath the rubber seal. It has nowhere to go. If I back in, the water can't pool there & runs down the sides like it should. Terrible design. Took me a WHILE to figure it out cuz getting in the trunk doesn't work. The water has to be sitting there for a while to finally start to SLOWLY seep under the weather strip. I'm gonna try to glue it better one of these days, but it's still annoying to have those giant pools of water in those two corners

Now to someday figure out where the hell water on the front driver's side floor comes from when I back in o_O

I have the same thing. My driveway is super slanted & if I park nose down (forward) my trunk will fill because the water pools up in the corners & drips underneath the rubber seal. It has nowhere to go. If I back in, the water can't pool there & runs down the sides like it should. Terrible design. Took me a WHILE to figure it out cuz getting in the trunk doesn't work. The water has to be sitting there for a while to finally start to SLOWLY seep under the weather strip. I'm gonna try to glue it better one of these days, but it's still annoying to have those giant pools of water in those two corners

Now to someday figure out where the hell water on the front driver's side floor comes from when I back in o_O
Sunroof?

Possibly. Drips kinda near the hood release under the dash. Previous owner told me about running weed whacker line down through the sunroof tubes, but I haven’t messed with it yet

Possibly. Drips kinda near the hood release under the dash. Previous owner told me about running weed whacker line down through the sunroof tubes, but I haven’t messed with it yet
The drain hoses shrink and come off the sunroof drains apparently, up under the headliner. Mines leaking on the both sides i think.

Thanks Dopey. I'll look into that. Never look under the weatherstrip. I'll try peel it out to see if there's any rust spot.

But my parking is almost flat. Slightly inclined. You can only tell when you let go the brake and car start to roll. But in my case, I have the rear towards the lower end so water should run down. But in any case, I'll look into it.

Once again, thanks.

Certainly.

On my way home from work today it was raining hard. Watching the water sheet down the back window into that channel caused me dread. In your pic I can see the grit from standing water. Mine in the Pacific Northwest has some algae along with said grime. I checked it during the rain while leaving work to possibly take a pic & there is a touch of standing water with the car fairly level. It’s a poor design.

just rectified my trunk leak issue. hopefully this helps someone.
my weather stripping had two place by the rear glass where it was cracked up, and one area on the side cracked open. I used 3m weatherstripping sealant to fix these holes, AND i used it to seal the weather stripping to the metal. I thought this stuff was gonna be gluey and pliable after curing.. nope this stuff hardens like a rock, so beware. But no water in the trunk now. It was either pooling up and leaking past the weatherstrip near the top, or the water was going into the weatherstripping itself through the cracked holes and dribbling into the trunk. I'm also using Sil-glyde from napa to keep whats left of my weatherstripping "healthy"

Members online

No members online now.
Back