Water inside front passenger door '02 LS Gen1

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've searched though the forum and read many entries, but I haven't seen what I am looking for...

I have water inside the front passenger door, sloshing around, after a car wash or rain (not inside the car, but inside the door itself). I originally thought that it was the window not going up tight for months, and had the window regulator recently replaced... so the window is up tight now without any air leaks. Still getting water inside that door.

I don't see any water spots around the A-Pillar (i.e. from the common sunroof drain issue)... so I haven't looked under the headliner yet.

(There must be a drain plugged in that door, or a lack of a drain, causing the water to build up in there. It does eventually go away. I have read that some '02 LS's or Gen1's didn't get a drain hole drilled... so that is another issue to address after finding the source of how the water is getting in there originally).

Is this a seal issue around the window glass at the bottom?

Any ideas of what is causing this?

I had this problem on my Gen 1. My brother-in-law, who rebuilds cars, told me that water is supposed to be allowed into the door, but that the drain at the bottom becomes clogged. So he pulled it out, cleaned it, and put it back in. No problem since.

Open the door. Look for a two / three inch long black plastic plug at the bottom rear of the door. That's it.

Yes, you can't stop all the water from getting in. You have to allow it to drain out. Either your drain holes are clogged or missing. Look at the other doors to see where the drain holes should be.

I'd also suggest pulling the panel off and checking the inside for rust. They don't coat the inside of the doors with the expectation of having standing water inside, the door is expected to be dry on the inside most of the time. You may have some rust that needs to be dealt with inside the door, and it's better to deal with it sooner than later. If a repair shop did the work on the regulators, they wouldn't necessarily look for rust, or advise you if they saw any.

I had a chance to get to this today. I found 2 drain holes; at the bottom front and bottom rear of the passenger front door.
I pulled the plug out of each, and cleaned a bunch of crud out of them.

I also noticed on the outside of the door the door bumper/guard was loose (i.e. protecting against other car doors causing dings)... I pulled that off and there are many holes in the door... so water could have been getting inside the door that way also. I'll get some GM tape and put that back on after a good cleaning etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Members online

No members online now.
Back