Water in Trunk?

Roy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I read somewere to fix this you need to cut the seal 2 inches in from the curve on each side. has any one done this and how did it work? I have a 2001 STS and my spare and spare well is allways wet?
icon9.gif

Is the carpet wet as well?? On some cars there are rubber plugs down there, it may be coming from teh bottom up

Lifted carpet still like new under side

But if I don't find where the water is getting it will not be like new for long.
even the top of spare and spare lid underside is wet
icon5.gif

Mabey I wash it too much. Na... the ride needs to be clean!

Pepsi2185 said:
Is the carpet wet as well?? On some cars there are rubber plugs down there, it may be coming from teh bottom up

Last edited:
I Could Not Figure Out!!

Hello..

I'm new & I could not figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll barge in on this one, if that's OK, I hope..

Has anyone tried this new Mr. Clean no dry car wash? If so does it work?

Ted Evans
04 Black CTS :C

The water "may" be coming in from the body welds along the top of the trunk compartment. Sometimes just cleaning them and applying some seam-sealer to them is sufficient. Get in the trunk with a flash light and have someone hose it down from the outside while you search for the leak(s).

Ted,
To start a new thread, you need to go to the "Forum" page. You can't start one at the thread level. Oh, and BTW, the Mr Clean stuff sucks!.

I think KatShot is right on this one. My 89' STS has water in the trunk also. I found that cleaning the area around the seals and cleaning them well almost eliminated the problem. Leaves, pine needles and all that crap creates paths for water to flow in. Sealing the welds isn't a bad idea either.

Mr. Clean Car Wash

My Next door neibourgh uses it all the time he is happy with it, it take the chemicals out of the water that make it spot.

No good for me a all ways dry it and do the miguiers thin.

I'm new & I could not figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll barge in on this one, if that's OK, I hope..

Has anyone tried this new Mr. Clean no dry car wash? If so does it work?

Ted Evans
04 Black CTS :C

Fixed It

The Water seems to get in allong the side of the rubber seal and migrats inside the rubber trim until it reachs the area infront of then latch the leaks into the trunk, (thanks to my son with a flash light in side). Lifted the lid seal, cleaned it and put it back on with Plumers Gup. DRY AS JULY IN ARIZONA.

I have heard this is a common problem with 1999-2004 STS/SLS.

The water comes from inside the rubber seal!, near the latch, gets in along the top/side and down section next to the tail light. Any how,fixed Now
icon7.gif

Water1.JPG

Water2.JPG

Water3.JPG

Last edited:
Pic's are not that good but... NO MORE WATER

:Beer now my case of beer will not get wet!
icon7.gif

Very common probem with STS and very easy fix, remove, clean, Seal, replace and MILLER TIME . Well here is Molson X, (U-NO)

ANY SeVille (1999-2004) People check under your spare... Fix now or pay later.

Last edited:
My STS is 89 and has the same problem. Thats how I found it, by cleaning the trunk one day I took the spare out. Swimming pool. Bad news.

Fix for STS Trunk Swimming Pool !

You are right it's 98 to 2004

I think they all have the same problem, some guy's cut the seal to make drain hole but I don't like that idea. I claened it well and used a silicon base sealer to seal the trim and so far so good, no water yet. let me know what works for you.

I will give mine another week before i am convinced that it worked

codewize said:
My STS is 89 and has the same problem. Thats how I found it, by cleaning the trunk one day I took the spare out. Swimming pool. Bad news.

Last edited:
Roy said:
You are right it's 98 to 2004

I think they all have the same problem, some guy's cut the seal to make drain hole but I don't like that idea. I claened it well and used a silicon base sealer to seal the trim and so far so good, no water yet. let me know what works for you.

I will give mine another week before i am convinced that it worked

This is a problem with most sts and it is usually water leaking from the sun roof.

I had the exact same problem, 1999 STS, did some searching and found the same thing you did. The water will almost always leak into the spare tire well at the trunk latch area, but the leak is usually located somewhere along the trunk weatherstripping, not necessarily at the trunk latch.

I pulled the bottom half of mine off and threw on some black RTV sealant. I used a hair dryer to keep everything clean and dry. It's been a few weeks now with rainy weather and no signs of the swimming pool that used to be there. I do still get some dampness in the rear of the trunk, but I noticed that when you open the trunk, water will slide off the trunk lid and onto the carpet. The spare tire area is dry so I'm considering at least one problem solved. :)

Kale

Leaky Sts Trunks

I've Had Two Sts's, A 1995 That Had A Leaky Trunk, And A 1998, That Has A Leaky Trunk As Well As A Back Seat And Rear Head Liner. I Spent $500 For A Dealer Repair Last Year, And I Now Have The Same Problem This Year. It Seems To Me That It's A Manufacturing Defect, And Gm Should Fix The Problem.

My 1978 Biarritz Doesn't Leak. Maybe Gm Should Make The Newer Caddies As Well As They Used To!

Maybe 2 places that leak...we should gang up on GM

djKale said:
I had the exact same problem, 1999 STS, did some searching and found the same thing you did. The water will almost always leak into the spare tire well at the trunk latch area, but the leak is usually located somewhere along the trunk weatherstripping, not necessarily at the trunk latch.

I pulled the bottom half of mine off and threw on some black RTV sealant. I used a hair dryer to keep everything clean and dry. It's been a few weeks now with rainy weather and no signs of the swimming pool that used to be there. I do still get some dampness in the rear of the trunk, but I noticed that when you open the trunk, water will slide off the trunk lid and onto the carpet. The spare tire area is dry so I'm considering at least one problem solved. :)

Kale
I too still find it damp some time but the nothing like before, mabey the sunroof is another problem?

Katshot said:
Ted,
To start a new thread, you need to go to the "Forum" page. You can't start one at the thread level. Oh, and BTW, the Mr Clean stuff sucks!.

Other than the windows (which still leave spots) you are not using it correctly if you say it sucks......to each their own!

Trunk weatherstrips and sunroof drains are usually not the source of waterleaks, but they are the areas of which people look for leaks. The reason that it's just damp is that you're not driving it in the rain, as you drove it in the rain when you picked up water.

The commom problem with Seville leaks is in the trunk seams, but you cannot seem to tell the tech who works on the car. Pull the lower trunk liner. The leaks are at the seam where the quarter panel and tail panle meet. The other leak is at the seam where the quarter panel, wheel well housing, and trunk pan meet. If you hose those areas, meaning inside of the wheelwell--agresssivly, you'll find the leak.

I have taken my car back to Cadillac for the 3rd time for water in the trunk. They cant seem to find the leak. They have replaced the rubber seal. Still leaks :C

Thanks for the tip, I will try that

an01sts said:
Trunk weatherstrips and sunroof drains are usually not the source of waterleaks, but they are the areas of which people look for leaks. The reason that it's just damp is that you're not driving it in the rain, as you drove it in the rain when you picked up water.

The commom problem with Seville leaks is in the trunk seams, but you cannot seem to tell the tech who works on the car. Pull the lower trunk liner. The leaks are at the seam where the quarter panel and tail panle meet. The other leak is at the seam where the quarter panel, wheel well housing, and trunk pan meet. If you hose those areas, meaning inside of the wheelwell--agresssivly, you'll find the leak.

Good Luck On mine it came from under the seal mosty

I seemed to have stoped most of it but the rest will have to wait until spring, I don't have a garage and its too cold up here in Montreal to work out side.

If I find anything else I will post it

Ed N Indy said:
I have taken my car back to Cadillac for the 3rd time for water in the trunk. They cant seem to find the leak. They have replaced the rubber seal. Still leaks :C

water in trunk ?

Roy said:
I read somewere to fix this you need to cut the seal 2 inches in from the curve on each side. has any one done this and how did it work? I have a 2001 STS and my spare and spare well is allways wet?
icon9.gif

water in trunk ?

Roy, I have a 1999 STS just discovered 6 inches of water in trunk --do you have any idea if there was a recall for a repair to this problem? I read your earlier posts. I water tested and found it seaps in along ledge where deck lid and car meet. Seal looks okay. Other thoughts? Rains too much in Michigan to just not drive it.

Roy said:
icon9.gif

I think the is more that one source

The main leak that I found, was getting in under the rubber seal on the down side of the lid starting at the top. As the water runs down it gets inside the rubber seal and exits just over the latch. I had my son get in the trunk before and after the fix, and it did fix it. BUT there is a little still getting in from some were else too?

I will wait until spring now, it too cold here!

joestock4 said:
Roy, I have a 1999 STS just discovered 6 inches of water in trunk --do you have any idea if there was a recall for a repair to this problem? I read your earlier posts. I water tested and found it seaps in along ledge where deck lid and car meet. Seal looks okay. Other thoughts? Rains too much in Michigan to just not drive it.

water leak

thanks---and so much for cadillac quality. Can't believe that this was never discovered by company.

Members online

No members online now.
Back