Water in spark plug holes.

-stew-

LVC Member
Reaction score
I got a miss and a CEL the other day. Code was cylinder 8 misfire. After work I picked up a coil and a plug and tossed them in. Upon pulling the coil, I noticed it had water on it and the well had a water mark like water sat in there a while. I blew the well out before removing the plug and installation of the new one. This car has been sitting a lot over the last four years I think. I can kind of make out where there was an oil change sticker on it and it looks like it was due in 2010. Any one ever seen anything like this before? The car is a 1997 with coil on plug.

Thanks!

Did the engine bay have signs that it was power washed before delivery? Did you check any of the other wells for water? I can't really see it dripping from the cowl and somehow entering through the covers, anything is possible though.

Not sure the quickest way for water (or specifically coolant) to get in there, but the Navigator I raided for COPs in the you pull it place 5 of the 8 plugs were swimming in coolant. I took a chance on the 3 dry COPs (at 7 bucks a piece) to replace one and have a couple of spares. It was coolant, not water, but one of the gaskets for the COP covers was twisted and not sealing, so if it was water I could see that as the cause.

Did you get a look at the top of the piston when you pulled the plug out?
If it was WATER, chances are that it was pressure washed and some leaked under the COP covers, and I'd check the other wells and blow them out too if wet so you don't ruin more coils

I had this happen in the 98 after it sat for an extended period of time. Moisture actually accumulated in the COPs such that I had cut some microfiber strips to dry it since I didn't have air at the time. The car was running really roughly so I pulled the covers to do a plug/COP check and found this. Once dry, the car ran perfect again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back