Water in headlights.

davidanthony21

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I washed my LS the other day and noticed that water got into my headlights. Now they mist up and look horrible. How do I take it apart to drain the water and how do I reseal it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't really work too much on cars, but with a shortage of cash (newborn son) I need to start learning.

davidanthony21 said:
I washed my LS the other day and noticed that water got into my headlights. Now they mist up and look horrible. How do I take it apart to drain the water and how do I reseal it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't really work too much on cars, but with a shortage of cash (newborn son) I need to start learning.

When I first got on this board I had the same question. Here is the fix...

1)take the headlamps out
- remove the upper plastic rad cover by removing the four turn plugs
- pull the outside temperature sensor off the plastic rad/bumper cover
- remove the plastic rad/bumper by pulling out the three plugs holding it in
- remove the headlamp by remove the three 8mm screws
- unplug the wiring harness

2)remove all three bulbs
3)use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture
4)if the water has not made the inside messy, simple seal up the edge of the housing using silicon and re-install
5)if you have to take the housing apart to clean the inside of the lens, the pre-heat the oven to 210, remove the three metal clips from the bottom of the housing, bake for 10mins, pull apart
6)clean the inside up
7)push back together, put back into the oven for 10mins and then squeeze it all tight, the re-seal it with silicon.
8) If you are going to seal them for good then use black silicon, if you are going to open them again then use grey...

If you search around you will see other topics about moisture etc...

Sometimes if you run the headlights for a while it'll evaporate.

While you have the headlight open break out those ugly orange reflectors and throw in some CCFL's! :invasion:

davidanthony21 said:
Thanks, this will be my weekend project (hopefully not more than a few hours though).

It shouldn't, but be patient when opening them up... eventually they do come apart. I am a novice as well and it took me a half hour for the first and about 15 minutes for the second.

And yes, get rid of the orange reflectors for a much cleaner look...

StewieMason said:
When I first got on this board I had the same question. Here is the fix...

1)take the headlamps out
- remove the upper plastic rad cover by removing the four turn plugs
- pull the outside temperature sensor off the plastic rad/bumper cover
- remove the plastic rad/bumper by pulling out the three plugs holding it in
- remove the headlamp by remove the three 8mm screws
- unplug the wiring harness

2)remove all three bulbs
3)use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture
4)if the water has not made the inside messy, simple seal up the edge of the housing using silicon and re-install
5)if you have to take the housing apart to clean the inside of the lens, the pre-heat the oven to 210, remove the three metal clips from the bottom of the housing, bake for 10mins, pull apart
6)clean the inside up
7)push back together, put back into the oven for 10mins and then squeeze it all tight, the re-seal it with silicon.
8) If you are going to seal them for good then use black silicon, if you are going to open them again then use grey...

If you search around you will see other topics about moisture etc...

My understanding is you can only use this procedure if your car is an earlier model with the gray sealant. It will not work if your car has black sealant. My car has the black sealant and has gotten moisture in one headlamp after washing the car. But it has only happened one time and it was soon gone.

This is true, if you have the black sealant then you are pretty much out of luck. According to Ken he has tried to open headlights with black sealant with little to no success.

davidanthony21 said:
If I take the reflectors out is that all I do? Or do they need to be replaced with something else?
It's up to you, I took mine out and bought some turn signals that change from silver to orange when I use my blinkers. Some people have bought products from websites with a different colored lenses. I like the look with no lenses personaly.

StewieMason said:
It's up to you, I took mine out and bought some turn signals that change from silver to orange when I use my blinkers. Some people have bought products from websites with a different colored lenses. I like the look with no lenses personaly.

What brand of bulbs did you buy?

is the temp sensor the thing siting on the plastic cover on the bumper. to remove the temp sensor and the rad cover do i just pull the plugs out. are they easy to break? sorry i'm nineteen only car i work on was my honda and its was real easy to work on.

BigBoiLS said:
is the temp sensor the thing siting on the plastic cover on the bumper. to remove the temp sensor and the rad cover do i just pull the plugs out. are they easy to break? sorry i'm nineteen only car i work on was my honda and its was real easy to work on.

Rad cover - unscrew the retainers and then pull them out.
Black plastic cover over the bumper - pull the temp sensor out (just pull), push-in the middle of the retainers and then pull them out.

KD00LS said:
What brand of bulbs did you buy?

I was told to buy Sylvania Silverstars on this board a while back...
You can find a set of Sylvania Silverstars for between $20-$30 for the set.

Here is one site I just found on them,
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Sylvania-silverstars.htm

I went cheap and bought some off of ebay, here is the link to the type I bought off of ebay... 13.50 total.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157...ewItemQQcategoryZ33717QQitemZ8008410287QQrdZ1

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.
Back