water in coil wtf?>??

2k2ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
well a few months ago i put up some pics of a pretty oil-soaked coil. well today i decided to go for the infamous valve cover job. everthing sucks so far but heres my thing. My number 8 cyl was full of water....why is this. this sux

I used a pressure washer to clean my son's engine. It filled the coil wells with water too. Evidently, those covers don't seal worth a crap. Did you wash the engine lately?

you may not have torqued everything down properly (covers) when you replaced the coil last time??

well i havent cleaned the engine recently. and the coil i checked was on the other head. thats whats bugging me out...

Re Water in Coils

Just spent $900.00 to repair my 2000 LS-8 because my detailer used high pressure washer under my engine and water got in ignition coils. Dealer told me that silicone seals were dry and this is why water seeped in. Dealer re-sealed with silicone, advised me not to take car for carwash especially high pressure underspray for 2 weeks to let seals dry. Of course, warranty has expired Seems like I am not the only one...

TorontoLS said:
Just spent $900.00 to repair my 2000 LS-8 because my detailer used high pressure washer under my engine and water got in ignition coils. Dealer told me that silicone seals were dry and this is why water seeped in. Dealer re-sealed with silicone, advised me not to take car for carwash especially high pressure underspray for 2 weeks to let seals dry. Of course, warranty has expired Seems like I am not the only one...
"Silicone seals were dry?" WTF!?!?
That's a load of horse crap. Silicone doesn't "dry out," and it doesn't react to oil. That's why they're using it in oil filters and in newer gaskets (including head gaskets). Its heat resistance is also why they're making cookware out of it--I just saw some all-silicone cornbread molds at Wal-Mart last night, and I got my mother some silicone spatulas/scrapers several years ago, which are still in pristine condition (and rated to over 500* F).

It's bad enough that he fed you that line of BS, but I can't believe the dealer had the stones to make you pay for his mistake. I'd go back, and if I didn't get satisfaction from him, I'd send my lawyer. Even in Canadian dollars, that's ludicrous.

Members online

Back