Washer fluid not engaging

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 LS V8

So wipers work, all settings, pressing the knob once initiates quick wipe. Holding it, initiates 3X wipe as usual. Just no fluid being squirt out. I tried listening for the fluid motor and I do not hear it.

There is wiper fluid. Any thoughts?

Mine is the same way. Looking at the sequence which both of ours go through, the washer button press causes the wipers to start, so that rules out the switch. I went as far as pulling out the pump and hard-wiring it to 12 volts and it worked just fine, so a driver inside an electronics module is likely toast. I carry a spray bottle with deep freeze prestone windshield washer inside the car if I need to wash now, lol. We could always rig a momentary switch to run the washer if desired, but I have what I want all set and ready to go whenever I pull over, at this point. :)

I had this problem on my 04. The electronics in the wiper motor have the relay for the washer pump. I could tug at and wiggle the wiring bundle going to the motor and get the pump to work for a while. Eventually, I took everything apart (including the motor) and cleaned all the connectors. That was a few years ago, and it's still working fine.

(Note that this is not how it works on the 1st gen.)

I just fixed mine on an older 88 Mark 7. There was fluid in the reservoir but no spray. Suspecting a clogged nozzle I disconnected the hose near the nozzle, and tried it. Nothing at all comes out of the hose.
Then out of the corner of my eye, I see the firewall is very wet. Fluid was leaking out of a small, broken, inline filter, located just in front of the driver. I repaired that and everything works, better than new.

thanks for the replies..

I checked for anything out of the ordinary, I can't find anything. I tried fiddling the hardness where it connects, no dice. Fluid will not engage but wipers work as expected.
Not really sure what I should do next. I could try taking apart the motor and cleaning? Never done that, is it as simple as unbolting it, or more complicated than that?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back